How to: - Interior Dome Light LED Conversion (PICs) | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Interior Dome Light LED Conversion (PICs)

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Here Is how to convert your dome lights from light bulbs to LEDs.

Starting with the Driver and Front Pax

What you will need

20 LEDs 55,000mcd
20 Resistors to bring the voltage down from 12volts to what your LEDs are rated at. Mine were 3.6v
Radio Shack Project board

First cut 2 pieces of the project board to 1.35" X1.35"
IMG_0018-2.jpg

Then arrange your LEDs on the board the way you want them. I used 10 on each board, 6 as spot lights and 4 on the corners as floods (grind the tips flat on the 4). Solder a resistor to each + lead of each LED and wire all the - leads together. Use Hot glue to attach each LED.
IMG_0019-2.jpg

Use clear nail polish to refinish the 4 ground down LEDs.
IMG_0023-2.jpg

Test
IMG_0022-3.jpg

Now disassemble the over head console and remove the 2 bulb holders
IMG_0024-2.jpg

Remove the metal shrouds from each of the bulb holders.
IMG_0025-1.jpg

Attach each board to the bulb holders using a Zip Tie, then use hot glue of silicone on the back to bond the board to the bulb holder
IMG_0026-2.jpg

Wire the 2 boards to the corresponding light switch on the console and snap on the cover.
IMG_0043.jpg

2nd row seats

I used 8 LEDs for this

Cut 2 pieces of project board .84"x.84"
IMG_0027-1.jpg

Arrange your LEDs and solder away.
IMG_0031-1.jpg

I used the - leads on the LEDs to hold the 2 boards together since the dome light reflector is in a pyramid shape and has to be bent in the center.
IMG_0030.jpg

Hot glue the board in.
IMG_0032-1.jpg

Done
IMG_0042-2.jpg

Cargo Area

I used 12 LEDs here

After removing the Unit from the headliner you need to gut out the metal contacts that were used for holding the bulb. Then Cut a piece of project board to fit inside the housing. Arrange you the LEDs and solder away.
IMG_0036-1.jpg

Here is what the back looks like on the boards with the - leads soldered together.
IMG_0038.jpg

Use hot glue to glue the board into the housing, and coat back of the board with glue or silicone to insulate.
IMG_0039-3.jpg

Done
IMG_0040.jpg

Will get pics when it gets dark out

Good Luck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All,
I just installed my interior dome LED lights, but they aren´t so bright like the MustangP51 pictures(first page).
What happened with? I used wrong type of LED? I used 8 Led´s, same project of MustangP51.

Best Regards

How many MCD are your LEDs?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Hello
I don´t know, i went to eletronic parts shop and ask for a better white led, this is the only type of LED they sell, no other options.
How can i identify and know the MCD of these LED´s?

Best Regards

Hello
I don´t know, i went to eletronic parts shop and ask for a better white led, this is the only type of LED they sell, no other options.
How can i identify and know the MCD of these LED´s?

Best Regards

No way to just look at an LED and know what mcd they are. You would need to know the part # or have a datasheet on them.

As for the 1k resistors:
LED's are driven by current. Higher current = more light. White LED's typically have a forward bias voltage drop (ie when they are on) of about 3.6 volts. Assuming a 12V source, the current through the LED would be:
(12-3.6)/1000 = 0.0084 or 8.4 mA.
Most LED's are rated at around 30mA. Push them past this and they have a good chance of burning.
If you were to use 470 Ohm resistors:
(12-3.6)/470 = 0.01787 or 17.87 mA.
More than double the current, so they will be much brighter, but will still be under their rating.

Greyphox,
Thankyou for your reply! It helped me a lot.
My LED´S are 15.000MCD, i will buy the correct LED and reinstall the upgrade.

Best Regards!!

im kinda having trouble getting the front console down. any tips on where the all the screws are. A+ write up on this by the way

im kinda having trouble getting the front console down. any tips on where the all the screws are. A+ write up on this by the way

If you are talking about the overhead console where the map lights are, then there are 2 screws in the rear compartment for a garage door opener/sunglasses. Below is a link to a pic of the overhead console taken apart. You can see the 2 screw holes on the left side

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//attachment.php?attachmentid=48614&d=1212888077

Thought this photo might be helpful to those of you who don't know what wires you're going to be using:

SSC_0465.jpg

Where did you buy the led's and the resistor's from

eBay is probably your best bet if you want more than just a few. If you need just a few, you can get them at RadioShack, but you will pay a lot more per item.

I did my Front Map Lights worked out good and looks sweet. I took the back seat lighting out and the Cargo Area light out. After looking at em' I'm wondering how the hell do you wire these in? The back seat lights look like they get their power from the screws and transferring it to the contacts in the light fixture. Then the back is a plug with 3 wires, one black, and the other two black with white marks. What one is positive and negative? Any help would be much appreciated since I'm pretty much lost now, Thanks!

I did my Front Map Lights worked out good and looks sweet. I took the back seat lighting out and the Cargo Area light out. After looking at em' I'm wondering how the hell do you wire these in? The back seat lights look like they get their power from the screws and transferring it to the contacts in the light fixture. Then the back is a plug with 3 wires, one black, and the other two black with white marks. What one is positive and negative? Any help would be much appreciated since I'm pretty much lost now, Thanks!

Take a look at
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217008

You don't even have to pull down the 2nd row overhead console, I just made a connection that plugged right into the 168 bulb socket. No need to touch wiring on the 2nd row

Any chance they could be done in blue?
Like, what bulbs would have to be used?

You don't even have to pull down the 2nd row overhead console, I just made a connection that plugged right into the 168 bulb socket. No need to touch wiring on the 2nd row

Okay, thanks. And what about the Cargo area? Sorry for being a nooby on this stuff, just kinda trying to get as much info as possible. Thanks again though.

Do you think this can be done to replace the dash lights?

Awesome write up! you are my new hero! Can I wire the leds into by overhead console without removing it completely from my truck? I have a wire harness for a bunch of switches ran into the console and can only lower it from the ceiling.. My Ex is a 97 with no sunroof..

Awesome write up! you are my new hero! Can I wire the leds into by overhead console without removing it completely from my truck? I have a wire harness for a bunch of switches ran into the console and can only lower it from the ceiling.. My Ex is a 97 with no sunroof..

From the way i remember it there isn't much room to work with when the console is in the vehicle, but I'm sure its possible. Maybe try to tap into the bulb sockets rather then the wiring it in.

Here Is how to convert your dome lights from light bulbs to LEDs.

Starting with the Driver and Front Pax

What you will need

20 LEDs 55,000mcd
20 Resistors to bring the voltage down from 12volts to what your LEDs are rated at. Mine were 3.6v
Radio Shack Project board

First cut 2 pieces of the project board to 1.35" X1.35"
IMG_0018-2.jpg

Then arrange your LEDs on the board the way you want them. I used 10 on each board, 6 as spot lights and 4 on the corners as floods (grind the tips flat on the 4). Solder a resistor to each + lead of each LED and wire all the - leads together. Use Hot glue to attach each LED.
IMG_0019-2.jpg

Use clear nail polish to refinish the 4 ground down LEDs.
IMG_0023-2.jpg

Test
IMG_0022-3.jpg

Now disassemble the over head console and remove the 2 bulb holders
IMG_0024-2.jpg

Remove the metal shrouds from each of the bulb holders.
IMG_0025-1.jpg

Attach each board to the bulb holders using a Zip Tie, then use hot glue of silicone on the back to bond the board to the bulb holder
IMG_0026-2.jpg

Wire the 2 boards to the corresponding light switch on the console and snap on the cover.
IMG_0043.jpg

2nd row seats

I used 8 LEDs for this

Cut 2 pieces of project board .84"x.84"
IMG_0027-1.jpg

Arrange your LEDs and solder away.
IMG_0031-1.jpg

I used the - leads on the LEDs to hold the 2 boards together since the dome light reflector is in a pyramid shape and has to be bent in the center.
IMG_0030.jpg

Hot glue the board in.
IMG_0032-1.jpg

Done
IMG_0042-2.jpg

Cargo Area

I used 12 LEDs here

After removing the Unit from the headliner you need to gut out the metal contacts that were used for holding the bulb. Then Cut a piece of project board to fit inside the housing. Arrange you the LEDs and solder away.
IMG_0036-1.jpg

Here is what the back looks like on the boards with the - leads soldered together.
IMG_0038.jpg

Use hot glue to glue the board into the housing, and coat back of the board with glue or silicone to insulate.
IMG_0039-3.jpg

Done
IMG_0040.jpg

Will get pics when it gets dark out

Good Luck

Thats cool.. but for someone who is not as capable do do that,,dose thist not work ? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0525661292&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

How do i do the custom led setup for the back? i have no clue what to soder, this is what I see when I remove the chrome housing from the rear dome lights in my sport

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

Back