2005 XLT HU Install | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 XLT HU Install

you get rid of the pop?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sure this info has been provided before, but nevertheless:

The goodies:
Pioneer FH-P8000BT with a Metra install kit
Expy%20001.png

Expy%20003.png

Soldering the harnesses - note the amp turn on lead (blue) has a 1.5K ohm resistor. Metra advised using this to eliminate turn on "pop". It did an OK job, some "pop" but not distracting.
Expy%20006.png

Expy%20005.png

Untouched
Expy%20007.png

MAKE SURE YOU TAKE YOUR CDS OUT OF THE OLD PLAYER!! Trust me on this one, I've learned the hard way.
Expy%20008.png

With a butter knife, I started at the upper left corner and carefully pried the bezel off:
Expy%20009.png

I then moved to the lower right corner. After this your hands do just fine. The clips are tight though!
Expy%20010.png

After removing the air controls and 4wd harnesses, remove the two 7mm bolts at the base of the radio.
Expy%20013.png

Take radio out and unclip the harnesses and remove antenna.
Expy%20015.png

Now, just hook the new harness in and you're almost done.
Expy%20016.png

Attach to the new headunit. The Metra harness has RCA inputs that will go into the Subwoofer output on the new radio.
Expy%20018.png

Slide in (it's very cramped behind the headunit) and screw in the 7mm bolts.
Expy%20019.png

Attach bezel, and you're done. After soldering, took about 20 minutes.
Expy%20020.png

Expy%20022.png

What is the watts on the ohm resistor you used? or does it matter?

After having the unit installed for a few days, I would highly recommend going with a voltage regulator as posted by someone else. The 1.5k ohm resistor (recommended by Metra) has done very little with the pop. It's minimized but not gone. I'll be switching it out in the coming days.

jt, what did you have to do to hook up the factory sub?

thanks, this helped alot. I finally got my stereo out.

kicker sells an 8inch sub that i think might fit directly in there think i can drop it in without using a different amp or anything? I wouldnt have it on ful blast just anything would be better than the stock sub, and I kinda like the popping noise scares the shyt out of people in my truck hahah people are like what the hell was that I think someone just through something at you.

This thread helped me out and I appreciate it. My double din was to big for the install kit so I had to modify the dash and cage a little bit.

Here is my new toy!! A cheapo dbl din with BT but it works great for the price.

Dash.jpg

This thread helped me out and I appreciate it. My double din was to big for the install kit so I had to modify the dash and cage a little bit.

Here is my new toy!! A cheapo dbl din with BT but it works great for the price.

Looks good. :biggthump What did you put in?

JT,

I am installing the same head unit today in my 03 and have 2 questions for you.

1) Where did you install the microphone for the BT?

2) In your pictures it looks like you just grounded the ground wire from the radio to the harness instead of an actual chasis ground. I see that my metra harness does have the black wire labled as "chasis" grounds but I know Pioneers used to be pretty picky about the ground. Have you had any issues with it grounded like that?

Thanks. I put it in My 05 Explorer.

Not what did you put it in? But what did you put in? As in what HU did you put in? Thanks.

Sorry I thought it was a strange question in an Explorer forum haha. It is an XOVision 1760BT. The quality of the BT calls is not that good. People tell me I sound like I'm under water or driving with my windows down but I can't complain for the price I guess.

Sorry I thought it was a strange question in an Explorer forum haha. It is an XOVision 1760BT. The quality of the BT calls is not that good. People tell me I sound like I'm under water or driving with my windows down but I can't complain for the price I guess.

How does the rest of it perform?

When I put my radio in, I had a little issue with the material on the dash. I have an all black interior. The dash is really soft and if you put hardly any pressure on it then there will be mark or scratch. I took me a good 20-30 mins trying to take that off without making any permanent damage. The radio looks good though!

How does the rest of it perform?

Pretty well. The graphics for the radio or MPs are not fancy but the DVD quality is surprisingly good. It wouldn't fit with the install kit so i had to modify the cage to make it work.

It's a cheap unit but I bought a 3 year exteneded warranty so worst case scenario I'll get my money back since it appears to be an item that is being discontinued. $223 total out the door.

Pretty well. The graphics for the radio or MPs are not fancy but the DVD quality is surprisingly good. It wouldn't fit with the install kit so i had to modify the cage to make it work.

It's a cheap unit but I bought a 3 year exteneded warranty so worst case scenario I'll get my money back since it appears to be an item that is being discontinued. $223 total out the door.

I just saw the same unit on Wally World's web site for $178. Where did you get yours? Thanks - Rondo

Your install looks good. My next HU will be the Pioneer 8200 media receiver. I don't use CDs in my truck so why have a cd player

Your install looks good. My next HU will be the Pioneer 8200 media receiver. I don't use CDs in my truck so why have a cd player

I agree, I never use CD's. Too much of a pain. I usually use my iPod via my TomTom or my Zune via an FM transmitter. When I replace my HU it will be with a media receiver too.

- Rondo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what are the dimensions of a double din that'll fit cause i've seen on ebay there are a few different size of double dins

Back