Something w/ rabbits. 72.5 pages of BS | Page 81 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Something w/ rabbits. 72.5 pages of BS

So seeing as spring is just around the corner, I thought I'd start a thread on the future undertaking of swapping in the Dana 60.

The axle is from a 1986 "Fawwd" F-threee "fitty", sporting some kingpins and a whole lot of rust. I took this axle apart a few months ago (except stupid me didnt remove the pinion nut before breakdown :rolleyes:) and had it hot tanked. I wanted it sandblasted, but the machine shop owner smirked and said "naaah yo, that junx is too big for my blasting cabinet" .. okay except he didn't really say that cauz he's old and a really cool guy. ANyways *twirls blonde hair*, this is my plaannn:

- WMS-WMS this axle is just a bit over 69" wide so I'm going to cut the passenger's side down a few inches to match 'ye ol General Motors 14-bolt axle. So this is going to require custom axle shafts and I think I'm going to go Chromos and 35-spline outers off the bat from the most awesome guys at Complete Off Road.

- Drive flange or lockouts? They are about the same in price and its a dedicated trail rig so I'm leaning towards the drive flanges. Right now, the cheapest flanges I found are the Teraflexes at $180 for a pair. If anyone knows of a better deal, please let me know :D !!

- High-steer arms and a double-ended hydroponics goodness ("cylinder").

- Opposite-ended panhard bar! The idea is to mount the chassis end of the panhard on the passenger's side frame rail and the axle end on the driver's side. Doing so should allow a more simple and cleaner design since the axle-mount can be mounted on top of or near the differential housing, instead of a tower on the passenger's side (like in my current D44 setup). I also plan to boost the panhard as far up as possible to increase the roll center of the front suspension. Yeah the concept is a little strange but I'm hoping it'll work and won't have any issues (no drag-link to factor into the design). But if anyone knows of any problem running this config, please chime in!

*EDIT*
- Detoit Locker for the carrier. I'm please with how the Detroit in the 14-bolt has performed so I figured I'd run the same in the front. Of course 5.13s to match the 14-bolt.

So here's the little guy, he's been in this position for the past few months just collecting dust:

DSC000871.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now that's got me thinking...better make sure that center console doesn't have an ash tray.
No smoking allowed ;)

And the system is sealed (fuel injection with an EVAP) - so there should be no fuel vapors outside. And the whole area where the radiator and fuel tank sits is going to be isolated from the people area with some composite material once everything is in place.

-------------------

Forgot to add the fuel pump to the last post -- an in-tank design to keep things quiet.
denso_fuelpump.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

How many gallons will the tank hold? Sure is hard to tell how big it is in the pics...

Ah I knew I forgot to mention something - its calculated at just a little over 21 gallons.

Might as well just ditch the rear seat all together, place the fuel cell in its place.

Whats the plans for the rear? Something is going on back there if the fuel cell is that far forward.

Aren't you worried having it inside the cab area? That just freaks me out where it is now.

Whats the plans for the rear? Something is going on back there if the fuel cell is that far forward.
This chassis is like a tobaggon - like this: \___/ . The axles go on the ends of the tobaggon with a high-mounted panhard bar. So that means everything important needs to be mounted in the tobaggon in case of a serious rollover (protection). So the only things that will be behind or on top of the rear axle are less important things like the spare tire.

Aren't you worried having it inside the cab area? That just freaks me out where it is now.
Doesn't really worry me too much :) - there are plenty of buggies with fuel cells mounted right behind the driver. This just happens to be beside the passenger. And, as I mentioned up one of my previous replies, there will be a composite wall (kevlar-carbon?) that is going to separate the people area from the fuel tank, radiator, battery, and so on. You'll notice in the shot below that there is a gap between the fuel tank and the seat - thats for the wall:

fueltank_position2.jpg

After all the insane fab skills displayed thus far, can any one really doubt IZ's ability to keep himself safe while installing a fuel cell?

After all the insane fab skills displayed thus far, can any one really doubt IZ's ability to keep himself safe while installing a fuel cell?

Hey now, I can express my concern as I feel fit. Asking a question about something that freaks ME out, does not imply a doubt in his ability's.

Now now guys, lets all meet at the local bakery and talk this over a chunk of layered chocolate cake.

Died-and-Gone-to-Heaven%20Chocolate%20Layer%20Cake.jpg

Got any pictures of the whole rig? Really nice looking fab work so far!

Awesome work, dood. I would like you to come out and we can work on my tig "skills" together. Free cake.

Got any pictures of the whole rig? Really nice looking fab work so far!
Thanks - I haven't taken a pic of the entire vehicle for a while but I'll try to next time I have the camera out.

Awesome work, dood. I would like you to come out and we can work on my tig "skills" together. Free cake.
Free cake? AND you and me together? omfg omfg!!! YES!!!

Now if you are going to put all these Covers and separators on this thing. Then how you gonna show all the fantabulous Fab Work? :D

Now if you are going to put all these Covers and separators on this thing. Then how you gonna show all the fantabulous Fab Work? :D
It will never get wheeled. On completion it is on contract to spend the first 2 years at the Smithsonian. :p:

It will never get wheeled. On completion it is on contract to spend the first 2 years at the Smithsonian. :p:

Ha!:bsnicker:

.. it is on contract to spend the first 2 years at the Smithsonian. :p:
For being the longest, drawn-out project ever in recorded history

It'll be somewere next to the Spruce Goose- the most awe inspiring Explorer ever created... a lifetime of epicness built into one rig. You'll run half of one trail with all the press watching and then park it forever.

There'll be one grainy 30 second vid of it on youtube. :p:

VVorked on the fuel tank plate.

Two AN-6 ports (pump and return), one AN-8 port for EVAP, a marine sender and fuel pump wires:
tankplate_top.jpg

Other side -- fifteen 1/4-20 button head screws secure the top plate to the bottom plate. :
tankplate_bottom.jpg

18" long marine sender:
sender_pump.jpg

Close up of the pump and the bottom of the marine sender. The fuel pump feeds into the square tube which then leads to one of the AN-6 ports on top of the tank's plate.
sender_pump2.jpg

A foam 'isolator' sleeve will go between the pump and its support, and the pump will be secured with a hose clamp.

why is this not done yet?

Back