The Big Run: Truckhaven Oct. 23-24th 2010 | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Big Run: Truckhaven Oct. 23-24th 2010

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Matt(Rockranger) - CJ Hill - Youtube version. It took forever to process for some reason and it's so short. :confused:

Not sure why everyone says it is so hard :p: I still can not believe how easy I made it up.

I saw the video of you trying it before and having a tough time. When we got there your dad asked me if I thought you would make it and I looked at it and said no. Then you just walked up it. I decided then I had to give it a try so I finally aired down to 20 psi. I did the waterfall with 36 psi. I think 20 psi helped me on it.

I saw the video of you trying it before and having a tough time. When we got there your dad asked me if I thought you would make it and I looked at it and said no. Then you just walked up it. I decided then I had to give it a try so I finally aired down to 20 psi. I did the waterfall with 36 psi. I think 20 psi helped me on it.

Holy crap.. 36psi. Air down man :) It makes life so much better. The only 2 drawbacks of airing down is you lose a little ground clearance (an issue when your only on 33's) and you can't drive distance on the blacktop between trails. I air down enough to drop the section height about 1/4 to 1/3 of its normal height (I drop the height 2-3" on our 33" tire which has a section height of 9")

On this last run I was running 12psi on my 33x12.50's (15" rims). I can really tell the difference in grip when I air town to the low teens compared to say 20psi.

and going by the old addage of "if you haven't popped a bead, you aren't airing down enough" I'm not airing down enough.

~Mark

It was pretty cool watching you make it up CJ Hill Ron. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I should have aired down more for the waterfall hill. I can see that now in the video. :rolleyes:

Pfft, rookies. :rolleyes:

:p:

Anyone hear from "dave alfaro"? Did he make it home ok driving on that bent Beam?

~Mark

...I heard from him yesterday...

...He made it home and the truck drove fine...Beam is still bent..:D

Holy crap.. 36psi. Air down man :) It makes life so much better. The only 2 drawbacks of airing down is you lose a little ground clearance (an issue when your only on 33's) and you can't drive distance on the blacktop between trails. I air down enough to drop the section height about 1/4 to 1/3 of its normal height (I drop the height 2-3" on our 33" tire which has a section height of 9")

On this last run I was running 12psi on my 33x12.50's (15" rims). I can really tell the difference in grip when I air town to the low teens compared to say 20psi.

and going by the old addage of "if you haven't popped a bead, you aren't airing down enough" I'm not airing down enough.

~Mark

There really wasn't a reason to air down until CJ Hill. Up till the waterfall I didn't have trouble climbing anything and that's because I was trying to crawl it. Since I only have 33's and not a lot of ground clearance I usually leave as much air in the tires as possible.

Yeah, I should have aired down more for the waterfall hill. I can see that now in the video. :rolleyes:

Plus your rear tires have no tread left. Slick tires on slick dusty rock doesn't work well.

Plus your rear tires have no tread left. Slick tires on slick dusty rock doesn't work well.
True, true. And probably not the best tread pattern for climbing rocks. Another set of BFG KM2s would be better. :p:

...Psssst...:shifty_ey...I've got a brand new KM2 I will sell you cheap...:D

...Psssst...:shifty_ey...I've got a brand new KM2 I will sell you cheap...:D
That one that was flat on your truck Sunday morning? :confused:

...It's all better now...:biggthump

..Now that I removed the stick...:rolleyes:

tire_repair_101_003.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back