Wrong motor oil | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wrong motor oil

00Xplorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
I recently changed my engine oil and used a thicker one on accident..i used 10w-30 and a couple mins after the oil change i got this rattling noise coming from my oil pan somewhere.. If i change the oil back to 5w-30 will it stop the rattle or did i mess something up..also is 5w-30 a good oil for a explorer with 130k miles...also the explorer is a 2000 xls 4.0 ..thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know with my Jeep Grand Cherokee it calls for either 5w-30 or 10w 30. Is it a rattling noise like something's loose, I wouldn't think that would cause an issue with the motor.

i dont think that would cause a rattle...hell iv mixed 5-30 10-30 10-40 lol didnt do anything.

it literally sound like somthing is rattleing around in my oil pan(like marbles)..it wasnt there b4 the oil change and it doesnt get faster with rpms..it is always there and never goes away even if it is cold or hot

something doesnt right. might wanna take the oil pan off and see if anything is in there...like metal pieces, hopefully not but the chance is always there.

maybe you got a sohc engine... :-( and you have the "standard issues" with timing cassettes / guides falling apart ...:-(.... maybe

The oil viscosity change didn't cause the noise. I only run 10W-30.

The guides where at the breaking point. The thickner oil (10W instead of 5W), at cold start has double the vascosity, and was maybe the last straw to those guides, and now they are broke in the pan.

I run 10-30 and mine has been "ticking" for over a year now. It was the same with Amsoil 0-30 or Castrol 10-30. I dont think its the oil there are a lot of OHV's on this forum that have this noise. I am still trying to figure it out.

My OHV was a ticker, that was quite evident when you were sitting in a drive-thru next to a wall, like Taco Bell for instance... :D

My OHV was a ticker, that was quite evident when you were sitting in a drive-thru next to a wall, like Taco Bell for instance... :D

Are you sure it was your Explorer and not you Joe:D

so if it is the guides is it hard to fix..also what would it cost..is there any how to threads on here of how its done.

The 4.0L ohv has a marble type noise coming from the engine. It is caused by carbon buildup on the pistons and will not hurt the engine.

so if it is the guides is it hard to fix..also what would it cost..is there any how to threads on here of how its done.

You have the cam in block 4.0 not the overhead cam so you have no guides.
All modern engines are OHV.

As mentioned above, engines make noise.

U have enough oil in the motor? that would also cause a noise, kinda stupid question

yea oil level is good..its just weird that the noise is always there and never goes away..another thing is i can here it rattle louder when im in park or neutral, but when i put it in reverse or drive it get quieter (but its still there)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back