Staff member
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Charlestown, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Escape SE
After reading several threads on painting the faded black pillar trim I decided to give it a go.

Be sure to check out my other write-ups:

How To: Replace Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex

How To: Remove/Replace 3rd Gen Door Panel

How To: Install Signal Mirrors On 3rd Gen Ex

How To: Restore Faded, Yellowing Headlights

How To: Replace Multifunction Switch in 3rd Gen Ex

How To: Replace 3rd Gen Ambient Air Temperature Sensor

How To: Test a Relay

How To: Remove/Replace 3rd Gen Center Console

I have only done the rears so far. I will update this thread when I do the side pillars. I decided to leave the rear pillars on the vehicle since they are riveted on and opening the liftgate and glass allows for easy masking. The sides are relatively easy to remove so when I get to that stage I will take them off. Here is how it went:

This is a shot of what they used to look like:

picture.php

I masked off the area prior to sanding so I didn't end up sanding something I didn't want to like the body. I first sanded with 600 grit then I wet sanded with 800 grit:

picture.php

Next step was masking off the area really well:

picture.php

Then I applied the paint. I used Krylon Fusion Gloss Black. I did not use primer. I applied 4 coats with 30 minutes between the 1st & 2nd coats and 15 minutes between subsequent coats:

picture.php

I let it dry overnight before removing the masking. This is after 4 coats:

picture.php

This is what it looked like after removing the masking the next day:

picture.php

It has been almost 3 weeks and it appears to be holding up really well. It doesn't shine like the original did but it looks 1000% better than it did. After about 2 weeks while cleaning the truck I accidently got Windex on it and thought I had ruined all my work. The Windex left ugly marks on the paint. I was thinking that if Windex does this then it is not going to last at all. I had some Meguiar's Cleaner Wax left over and that did the trick. I planned on waxing it anyway to protect it from the elements.

I was dreading doing this because I figured it was going to take forever and be a real PITA. It wasn't bad at all. I did the other side the next night and figure it was about 2 hours a side. Hope this helps all you guys that can't decide if you want to do this to go for it. You won't be disappointed!! :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good! You could always consider spraying a few coats of Duplicolor Edging Clear to bring back the gloss and protect the paint. It comes in a rattle can, so just spray a few coats after the paint is dry. Just a thought! Check it out here: http://www.duplicolor.com/products/pro_specialty.html

Looks good! You could always consider spraying a few coats of Duplicolor Edging Clear to bring back the gloss and protect the paint. It comes in a rattle can, so just spray a few coats after the paint is dry. Just a thought! Check it out here: http://www.duplicolor.com/products/pro_specialty.html

Thanks, I was thinking about putting clear on but didn't know what to use. I'll look into the edging clear. Do they sell it at the parts stores? :salute:

I would think so, especially the stores that carry duplicolor products. Just check around, I've never used it myself, just seen it used on various auto shows. Let me know what you find and how it goes, I live in S. Florida so my clear has all but completely flaked off.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again. :salute:

thanks for the info, I'm in Iowa so this we'll be a spring project! I've used Rust-Oleum "Gloss Protective Enamel" around the trailer hitch area and the shine was good, close to the other black finish, FYI.

Semper FI

I was looking at those trim panels, and I'm considering doing all mine with bedliner. Should go on even, and have a nice rugged look to it.

thanks for the info, I'm in Iowa so this we'll be a spring project! I've used Rust-Oleum "Gloss Protective Enamel" around the trailer hitch area and the shine was good, close to the other black finish, FYI.

Semper FI

Good luck. I'll be doing the sides in the spring. Semper Fi :salute:

I was looking at those trim panels, and I'm considering doing all mine with bedliner. Should go on even, and have a nice rugged look to it.

I'd like to see some pics of the finished product!! :popcorn:

trim paint

This is the Rust-Oleum I used on my luggage rack. Nice and Shiny..seems to be lasting..

This is the Rust-Oleum I used on my luggage rack. Nice and Shiny..seems to be lasting..

Brian, where did you get the rustoleum? Did you use it on the plastic and metal parts? I need to do my luggage rack too!!

Menard's Home Center

I picked it up at Menard's (they are like Home Depot) I also painted my windshield wiper arms with it. Not a real good before and after picture.

I picked it up at Menard's (they are like Home Depot) I also painted my windshield wiper arms with it. Not a real good before and after picture.

Thanks man! I'll look into it. :cool:

How do you get the side ones off?

How do you get the side ones off?

I haven't done the side ones yet. That's a spring project. If you peel the weather stripping out of the window channel, you will have access to the screws holding the side pillars on.

If you need some pics, I'll take them and post 'em up tomorrow afternoon.

Thats up to you, I will have to wait until spring to do mine also but was just curious how they came off.

Thats up to you, I will have to wait until spring to do mine also but was just curious how they came off.

I'll see if I can get some pics up tonight. :salute:
Posted via Mobile Device

not too bad, I bought replacements from the dealer for the sides and had my buddy paint the rear ones, ive always had bad luck w paint. i did my oilfield bumper on my silverado and it didnt hold up too long so im getting it redone in the spring.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not too bad, I bought replacements from the dealer for the sides and had my buddy paint the rear ones, ive always had bad luck w paint. i did my oilfield bumper on my silverado and it didnt hold up too long so im getting it redone in the spring.

Thanks, I'll be doing the sides in the spring. The rears where pretty easy. Been 6 months and they still look great!!

Back