10" sub in factory 8" box? Factory volume?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

10" sub in factory 8" box? Factory volume??

PUR PONY

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 LTD, 96 XLT, & 98 XLT
I have a 1996 Explorer limited with a blown 6" sub. Looking to replace the factory box with an 8" factory box....Also have a 98 XLT with no sub, that i want to also install a factory 8" box. Thing is, i have 2 brand new 10" subs sitting on the shelf i would like to use.

Has anyone installed a 10" sub in a stock 8" factory box? How did it fit? how did it sound?

Anyone know the 8" factory box volume?

Should i just sell the 10s and go with an 8"?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The factory 8 has a box volume of .41 cubic feet, IIRC.

Well here's kinda the thing. 8 inch sub would be the better choice to use for your situation. To put a 10 inch sub in a 8 inch box, you loose the sound quality and it will not produce much more base. A subwoofer need a certain amount of cubic inch's inside the box to produce good sounding bass. So can you do your idea.......yeah, but it'll sound crappy. But what you can do is look up how many cubic inch's the 10'' subs need and make a box that fits in the same spot (right side rear cargo area) and use the factory amps that is in the factory set up. I have not done that particular task yet myself. I normally install 12''s or bigger. But I have seen it done and it looks slick, and sounds good. Good luck.

to the OP if I wanted to go bigger I would build my own box. I may even for a better 8".

Something like this wouldn't be too hard. I don't know how much room there is in my 2003 though.

Why is the box so big for such a low power sub. I really want to use a JL in my stock box but they recommend .3 ft^3 for a sealed box. Also does anyone know how much depth I have to work with. Could I use a .5" spacer ring to put a deeper sub in there? The JL 8w3v3 is 4.3" deep.

I figure I'd try the stock box first and if its not working out I'll build one.

A factory 6" sub in a '96? Really?

A 10" sub can fit in the factory 8" box of a MACH system, BUT it really depends on the depth of that particular 10" sub. A few of the shallow-mount subs will fit without modding, and the factory box will provide more than enough volume. Most regular-depth subs will require a MDF spacer ring to be mounted on the box, then the sub mounted to them to both give the mounting depth needed, and the additional volume. Deeper subs will not fit without double spacer rings, at which point you're better off just building a custom box or springing for one of the Q-form/stealthbox/thunderform prefab enclosures for a 10". How it sounds, again, depends on the sub, and whether or not you chose the right sub for the application. Usually subs that handle small volumes and sealed boxes will be the best bet.

A 10" is more than doable if you don't mind the extra work, an 8" is just usually more of a drop-in, though deep 8's still require an MDF spacer ring like a 10". A 10" is what you want if you want the most bass possible in the space of the factory enclosure. Some people have crammed a 12" in there, but there's not really enough volume for it to sound good.

I have a 1996 Explorer limited with a blown 6" sub. Looking to replace the factory box with an 8" factory box....Also have a 98 XLT with no sub, that i want to also install a factory 8" box. Thing is, i have 2 brand new 10" subs sitting on the shelf i would like to use.

Has anyone installed a 10" sub in a stock 8" factory box? How did it fit? how did it sound?

Anyone know the 8" factory box volume?

Should i just sell the 10s and go with an 8"?

thanks
There isn't enough room where they ate and sub was mounted to put a 10-in sub in. The enclosure is not big enough. If you're looking for another 8-inch box I actually am not using mine anymore I have the whole enclosuring educating sub and where the amplitz I don't know where you're located but I could you know give it to you I'm really not using it. And what I did when myself broke. I bought a 8-in ported box and put an 8-in pile sub there and fed it from the factory the Ford amp and it sounded 100% better.

Back