• Register Today It's free!

shudder when stopping

seannydeez

Reaction score
City, State
Braintree, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited
Ok, lately i've been getting what i can only describe as a shudder from the rear when I stop. To be more specific, I'll come to a complete stop and then feel the shudder. Has anyone else experienced this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

V6 and it's definitely not a bump. I wish I could explain it better, but basically I come to a full stop and then I get like a shake that comes from the rear. It doesn't happen all the time and it's only a recent problem. I am approaching 60K so I might just drop it off to the dealer for the 60K service and deal with the raping I'll get.

have that same problem, thinking it might just be a wheel off balance

I believe what you are experiencing is the transmission downshifting into 1st gear. I get the same shudder in my 06 v-6 right before coming to a complete stop. Been ignoring it.

Please post up what the dealer says about it, I am still within the 5/50 drive train warranty.

have that same problem, thinking it might just be a wheel off balance

If it was a wheel being off balance it would be at all speeds. Sounds almost like the torque converter is trying to engage or something is trying to catch. Is a a soft shudder or a violent one?

When stopping or after stopping? I had something similar. My shudder was as I was coming to a stop, from approx. 25 mph down to 0 mph. I thought it was a bad rotor, so I replaced the rotors and pads, and when I got to the last wheel, I noticed that a caliper slide pin was totally seized. That was the problem! I needed pads and rotors anyway, so at least I didn't feel like a total idiot.

When stopping or after stopping? I had something similar. My shudder was as I was coming to a stop, from approx. 25 mph down to 0 mph. I thought it was a bad rotor, so I replaced the rotors and pads, and when I got to the last wheel, I noticed that a caliper slide pin was totally seized. That was the problem! I needed pads and rotors anyway, so at least I didn't feel like a total idiot.

That is interesting about the caliper slide pin. I was checking my rear pads today, but not sure on these calipers where to apply lube.

I removed both caliper bolts and saw no real sign of corrosion. Do you generally lube the bolts before installation or some other spot after removing the caliper from the bracket? Mine is an 06 and the pads look great, so I just want to apply grease where necessary.

Caliper bolts? There are the bolts, and there are the pins that slide back and forth. The pins have a rubber boot on each end. Carefully remove the boots and pins and clean them well and lube the heck out of the pins before reinstalling.

Rear brakes? What about the front? My whole vehicle was shuddering, and I couldn'r tell where it was coming from. Mine happened to be drivers front where the problem was.

Mine actually did it the other day while I was sitting at a red light so Im thinking I might have an issue in the transfer case. I also felt it a little a couple times when I accelerated from a stop and it almost felt like I was trying to drive and the e-brake was on, but I know it isn't related to the brakes. I am planning on taking it in on Saturday so i'll let you know. Im sure I'll just get the old we couldn't replicate it excuse

Caliper bolts? There are the bolts, and there are the pins that slide back and forth. The pins have a rubber boot on each end. Carefully remove the boots and pins and clean them well and lube the heck out of the pins before reinstalling.

Rear brakes? What about the front? My whole vehicle was shuddering, and I couldn'r tell where it was coming from. Mine happened to be drivers front where the problem was.
Thanks, I'll look them over more closely this time. I did not tear into the fronts yet as I was not sure where to lube.

As usual work had different plans so I haven't had a chance to take it in yet. Unfortunately it's getting worse so I think I'll take it in next week since this week is Christmas and Im sure if they actually find an issue they'll have to order a part and I'll be without my explorer for days. I'll update soon!

my explorer does the same from like 10ish mph to 0 only when braking. while i was driving home the other day my abs light came on( changed the sensor a while ago) then i noticed it wouldnt vibrate anymore. my guess would be the sensor is picking up wheel spin or falsely picking it up and causeing the abs to come on which causes the vibration.

its a cracked tone ring on one of the axles it a very common problem you can get the piece from dealer or replace axle to check just push tone ring to the side broken one will move.

thats good and bad, bad because i may or maynot have abs when i need it. good because im planning on swaping the gears and adding ls diff's anyway. thanks for pointing that out before i had everything torn apart and waiting for the new tone ring to come in before putting it back together

Just wondering if a soulution was found to this problem? I have the same thing, a shudder or vibration after coming to a stop. Sometimes it will even happen just after completing a stop. I've been reading through the forum posts, and this is the closest thing to the problem I'm having. If a fix was found, please let me know. Thanks!

Back