• Register Today It's free!

transmission options

tgreene92

Reaction score
City, State
south jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT x2
so ive pretty much killed my second trans on my 98 explorer, i know i want to go manual so another a4ld is out of the question and id like to stay away from an m5od, do i have any other options for a beefier manual trans. ive used the search and have done alot of browsing but cant seem to find any answers. any quick help would be greatly appreciated as im estimating its got a week left.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since you must have a OHV: there was a guy, I can't recall the SN, but maybe someone else does: who sold a conversion plate which would allow you to bolt up any trans that fit the 302 to the OHV. This gives you a wide choice of trans, all much stronger then the a4ld.

i have the sohc, and ive heard the m5od is also a weak trans

i have the sohc, and ive heard the m5od is also a weak trans

Apples, oranges, & doughnuts compared here! I thought the issue was a MANUAL TRANS., now possibility of replacing an AUTOMATIC is being considered. No comprende........imp

im still looking for a manual trans, one that is stronger than the m5od, automatic is out of the question

Back