• Register Today It's free!

Wont Move while in gear

hotrodseth

Reaction score
City, State
enid ok
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 eddie bower
So i just bought a 2000 ford explorer 5.0 awd eddie bower. I was told needed new trans. I payed and was gonna tow home. well I got in and i put it in gear and it moved forward and back a few times as I changed gears, then stopped. SO i took home. I tried again later same thing. I have no idea what it could be anyone have any idea?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fluid is full but it is dark like motor oil not nice red. The person I bought from said the trans just started to slip. So he was gonna take it to the shop and while driving there it just stopped like in netural. The shop never looked because he didnt want to waste anymore money on it. so I bought it and came up with this. That it will move right when started up, into any gear, it will only last about 30 secs. Then its like its in netural again. Does anyone have any idea where to start I have searched for hours and not came up with anything.

Anyone have any idea what could be the problem

Try dropping the pan and changing the fluid and filter. Start there and see what it does. If it continues you may have to do a rebuild.

Could it be the stall convertor or front pump? Or if that dont work should i rebuild the whole thong internally. It only has 135000 miles on it.

Miles don't matter really. Just start with the fluid and go from there. The converter could be just not working with all the garbage fluid in it. You may just have to rebuild the valve body.

Ok i will try that this weekend. So if that dont work it could just need a rebuilt valve body aand nothing internal? I dont wanna just start throwing money into it. Should i drain the fluid by removing the cooling line and starting it and letting it pump it out or whats the best way

Drop the pan and let it drain out from there and then try and find the plug for the torque converter. Running the truck with the line off will just induce air into the system and could damage something. I normally don't recommend that sort of thing. Definitely change the filter out when you do this all.

ok so I changed the fluid. I dropped the pan and got the bolt of the converter and let it drain for about 2 hours. The bottom of the pan had a lot of metal in it, and not just shavings but little chunks of something. I knew it was probaly not good but I continued with the fluid change. I put a new filter in and cleaned pan and bolted it back up. Put a few quarts in and started and then added more, 11 quarts total. I trired to move it and it moved for a little bit then stopped and was slipping, then nothing at all, reverse still works fine though seems like. What do you guys think the problem is, am I just screwed and need a rebuild??

what all would I need for a rebuild? like a parts list and what a good company to buy from, never really done an auto helped with a c6 once but been awhile, done a few manuals.

Back