Is it possible to add the outside temp to my gauge cluster w/o the message center? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is it possible to add the outside temp to my gauge cluster w/o the message center?

RichCresci

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS, 06 Mounty
I've got an 03 XLS and was wondering if anyone has ever added just the outside air temperature to the dash. I know the X's with the info center thing do it, but I don't need all that. I just want the outside air temp. I read a thread on swapping clusters but I like my cluster. I just wish a got a temp readout.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice! Does anyone know if this would be a direct swap? Just plug and play?

It aint plug and play. There is a post here where someone did it.. a lot of work.
I think the blend doors and all the control and cables are different. Plus all the sensors that go with it.

Well that ain't fun. I guess I'll just stick to my regular method, rolling down the window.

or put one of those suction cups thermostats outside the windshield

i think the 04 or 05 instrument cluster had the temp in the dash board cant remember off hand, but the 03 wont be wired for it.

My scan gauge has the readout, but it shows blank. I guess the truck doesn't have the sensor.

My scan gauge has the readout, but it shows blank. I guess the truck doesn't have the sensor.

see if you have a plug for it in front of the condenser.

if you do pick up the sensor and plug it in, should work then.

since i forgot to add. some scanners have fake pids, that display scanner mfg pids though its own formula, be warned.

I have the temperature and the a compass on my dash from the factory but no message center
Posted via Mobile Device

I had the temp and compass on mine but no message center either.

see if you have a plug for it in front of the condenser.

if you do pick up the sensor and plug it in, should work then.

since i forgot to add. some scanners have fake pids, that display scanner mfg pids though its own formula, be warned.

It allows you to manually enter the parameters for custom gauges, so if the truck monitors it, I can see it.

I also have the temp & compass readout without the message center:

16BelowCustom.jpg

Here is the thread for changing the temp sensor. It might help you determine if you have the sensor or the connector.

Hope this helps out! :biggthump

It allows you to manually enter the parameters for custom gauges, so if the truck monitors it, I can see it.

it can only read the parameters that are in the truck. some scan tools even make up there own parameters using formulas.

its not something they invented its just something that can read the data stream of the pcm's pids.

Back