• Register Today It's free!

Problems with SYNC.

11" XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello all, first post but here it goes. I purchased a 2011 Ford Explorer XLT with the 202A package (includes Sync and My Ford Touch). Everything worked fine for the first two weeks aside from the clock resetting itself three times and two "scheduled maintenance updates". Last week the center counsel screen went "blank" and it hasn't come back on since. I have been to two dealers and have spoken to the dealership where I purchased my vehicle and nobody had a solution to fix the problem. I then spoke to Ford's corporate office and they told me that they have created a Technical Service Bulletin to correct this problem by March 8th!!! In the meantime I have no radio, heated seats, rear heat, reverse camera, or bluetooth phone. Ford had promised to get back to me today and failed to do so. Their customer service thus far has been less than helpful to put it nicely. Has anybody else experienced these problems?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are several other similar posts on here. Most folks have gotten it to reboot after shutting off and restarting.

If I were you, I would try pulling fuse #29 (pretty sure that's the one).

If that didn't work, it would be sitting at a dealer and they would be providing me a loaner vehicle. Pretty simple.

If I were you, I would try pulling fuse #29 (pretty sure that's the one).

If that didn't work, it would be sitting at a dealer and they would be providing me a loaner vehicle. Pretty simple.

I've had glitches where notifications won't go off-screen and phone pairing crashes but won't let me delete the phone and start over. The fuse-pull has fixed both issues. i'm used to this as I have do a battery-pull on my BB to keep it running smooth.

I will say that the fuse is in a ridiculous location, especially with having to pull it once a week (in my experience).

I LOVE the Sync/MFT when it works, no doubt.

Hi there,
See my post on this forum "1,100 Miles and MyFord Touch Already Dead" and you'll see that you are not the only one that has had the APIM (Sync module) die. The dealer probably needs to replace the APIM. They should easily be able to get information from Ford on this. Leave the vehicle with them and get a loaner until they figure it out. You should not have to be driving around with it like that.

Ford Explorer 2011

Hey Folks. I am thinking about purchasing a 2011 Explorer. I have never owned a Ford or thought I would ever own one. I am impressed with their new cars/trucks. Given some the Ford Sync/Touch issues are you all still satisfied with your Explorers?

Hey Folks. I am thinking about purchasing a 2011 Explorer. I have never owned a Ford or thought I would ever own one. I am impressed with their new cars/trucks. Given some the Ford Sync/Touch issues are you all still satisfied with your Explorers?

Many of us are still waiting. I have no doubts or worries. I have the original SYNC, and it had it's issues. Ford fixed them completely, even though my real issue shouldn't have been covered.

@MrBlonde-the BB analogy is probably pretty appropriate.

I have the original SYNC, and it had it's issues. Ford fixed them completely, even though my real issue shouldn't have been covered.

Can you elaborate on what was fixed and why it shouldn't have been covered?

I'm looking for some reassurance that the MFT or SYNC or NAV is going to work without constant reboots.

Thanks.

Can you elaborate on what was fixed and why it shouldn't have been covered?

I'm looking for some reassurance that the MFT or SYNC or NAV is going to work without constant reboots.

Thanks.

I was using an actual hard drive attached to it (not supported, never looked if newer versions support because of the indexing limitations). The USB got fried (new one actually worked with the hard drive), they replaced the entire system. The other was sporadic failures on the USB, likely me and the hard drive again. After that, I only used a dedicated zune and my issues never came back.

I've had my truck for about 3 weeks now and the only problem I've had with the MFT is it not recognizing my phone occasionally (My phone isn't one of the "tested" phones for the system). Other than that, it's worked well (knock on wood!!!)

I've had my truck for about 3 weeks now and the only problem I've had with the MFT is it not recognizing my phone occasionally (My phone isn't one of the "tested" phones for the system). Other than that, it's worked well (knock on wood!!!)

Good to hear, seems like the problem posts were piling up. I PM'd that Seni guy for a explanation from Ford but got no response.

I just got off the phone with Ford Customer Service. I had called in about the Sync issues and they just called me back. According to Customer Service, they are well aware of all the problems and will be updating Sync to fix them via the http://www.Syncmyride.com site. They did NOT give me a date on when it would be solved, but did say that they are working on it right now. Customer Service said to check the site about once a week for upgrades.

I just got off the phone with Ford Customer Service. I had called in about the Sync issues and they just called me back. According to Customer Service, they are well aware of all the problems and will be updating Sync to fix them via the http://www.Syncmyride.com site. They did NOT give me a date on when it would be solved, but did say that they are working on it right now. Customer Service said to check the site about once a week for upgrades.

JDraper,

Thank you for calling the SYNC line and allowing us to assist you. Please continue to check the site for upgrades as they suggested.

Seni

Hi there,
See my post on this forum "1,100 Miles and MyFord Touch Already Dead" and you'll see that you are not the only one that has had the APIM (Sync module) die. The dealer probably needs to replace the APIM. They should easily be able to get information from Ford on this. Leave the vehicle with them and get a loaner until they figure it out. You should not have to be driving around with it like that.

Hello,
My first posting! Had our '11 limited 3 weeks, many issues with sync/MFT!! Also has anybody encounter wind noise/vibrations with the plastic mouldings on the A-Pillars??
At highway speeds facing a stiff wind from a slight angle or side wind the opposite side A-Pillar moulding goes into a very noisy vibration mode!! Extremely aggravating! Dealer & Ford have no fix at this time! Has anyone experienced the same? Blue masking tape along the entire A-Pillar doesn't quite get it!!

Hello,
My first posting! Had our '11 limited 3 weeks, many issues with sync/MFT!! Also has anybody encounter wind noise/vibrations with the plastic mouldings on the A-Pillars??
At highway speeds facing a stiff wind from a slight angle or side wind the opposite side A-Pillar moulding goes into a very noisy vibration mode!! Extremely aggravating! Dealer & Ford have no fix at this time! Has anyone experienced the same? Blue masking tape along the entire A-Pillar doesn't quite get it!!

Ford does have a solution for the A pillar problem. See http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310660&highlight=pillar and http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306488&highlight=pillar

Hello,

I just received delivery of my Ex this morning and the A-Pillars are loose on both sides of the windshield and I'm quite dismayed with the lack of quality. These appear to be clamp on plastic pillars and on my first drive, these pillars vibrated at 50 MPH and were quite noisy. The dealer said he would look into this and get back to me

Oh my goodness, that is what just happened to me. I have an early 17,000 VIN. The clock started giving me random times a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday, the entire system died a quick death. I had nothing....radio, phone, nav, etc. This was not a regular "update" that I had previous times. This was the "kiss of death." Someone on the facebook site suggested unhooking the battery, that brought the system back up. Yes, we had tried re-starting the car for a couple of hours, nothing.....so the battery idea brought it back to life for now. I have a fully loaded limited and am beginning to question my purchase. I loved it before now...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh my goodness, that is what just happened to me. I have an early 17,000 VIN. The clock started giving me random times a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday, the entire system died a quick death. I had nothing....radio, phone, nav, etc. This was not a regular "update" that I had previous times. This was the "kiss of death." Someone on the facebook site suggested unhooking the battery, that brought the system back up. Yes, we had tried re-starting the car for a couple of hours, nothing.....so the battery idea brought it back to life for now. I have a fully loaded limited and am beginning to question my purchase. I loved it before now...

Sheryl,

Have you considered bringing your Explorer to the dealership to have it diagnosed? Due to the software issues that may cause the system to function erratically, Ford has authorized your dealer to improve overall system functionality. Your dealer can reprogram the MyTouch system to the latest level free of charge (parts and labor) under the terms of this program. This Customer Satisfaction Program will be in effect until January 31, 2012 regardless of mileage. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners. The time needed for this repair is less than one-half day. However, due to service scheduling requirements, your dealer may need your vehicle for a longer period.

I hope this information is helpful.

Seni

Back