• Register Today It's free!

4.0l 5speed to 5.0 5speed ?

steve4578

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT , 96 XLT
hi everyone .. i have a 4.0l 96 explorer w. a 5 speed manual tranny .. i want to swap to a 5.0l v8 but i want to keep the ex manual .. i talked to some people about it and they said to get a 5l and put a mustang 5 speed on it .. im not sure what to do .. if any one has any tips or what i should do it would be greatly appreciated ..
thanks .steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will have to cut up the body a bit to get the Mustang transmission in the X.

Look at the swap that nick26 did on his 5.0L. He used the M5OD-R2 from an F-150, and installed in his X. That transmission is the better built, Small Block Ford version of the M5OD-R1 that is currently behind your 4.0L.

That transmission is sometimes abbreviated as M5R2, which should help in your search.

Ryan

ok thanks man ill look into it

You will have to cut up the body a bit to get the Mustang transmission in the X.

Look at the swap that nick26 did on his 5.0L. He used the M5OD-R2 from an F-150, and installed in his X. That transmission is the better built, Small Block Ford version of the M5OD-R1 that is currently behind your 4.0L.

That transmission is sometimes abbreviated as M5R2, which should help in your search.

Ryan

Just curious, would that M5OD-R2 bolt right up, in place of the stock 5spd, in my '93 Ranger (4.0L-OHV, 4x4)? When I say bolt right up, I mean with absolutley ZERO mods of any kind, just as though it was stock? (ok, I'm willing to swap a sensor or two, swap tailshaft housings or something, as long as there is no fabrication or going inside the trans.)

hey i looked into it and theres a ton of custom fab work that has too be done to make it fit...i dont really do any of that kind of stuff neither do i have the $$ to.. what do you mean by alot of cutting? what has to be cut

Just curious, would that M5OD-R2 bolt right up, in place of the stock 5spd, in my '93 Ranger (4.0L-OHV, 4x4)? When I say bolt right up, I mean with absolutley ZERO mods of any kind, just as though it was stock? (ok, I'm willing to swap a sensor or two, swap tailshaft housings or something, as long as there is no fabrication or going inside the trans.)

Nope it won't. The M5OD-R1 and R2s are different and not interchangeable.

Back