SVO42's Bronco II fuel tank swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SVO42's Bronco II fuel tank swap

I finally got the Bronco II gas tank for my swap. You'll need a tank from an EFI B2, and the fuel pump/sending unit assembly from an '89 or '90 B2. Since my Explorer is a wheeler, the stock "coffin" tank needs to go since it is more likely to be damaged. The skid plate on mine has taken a beating for sure!

The BII tank goes in the Explorer's stock spare tire location. I haven't used it on mine since I went to 33s a long time ago--NO WAY one of my current 40s would fit! :D

I got all the parts from an '89 Bronco II: tank, pump/sending unit, straps, skid plate, line fittings, and hardware. Here's the donor, and where the tank was after I got it out:

2011-03-13163549.jpg

2011-03-13163608.jpg

Here's the tank:

2011-03-20175620.jpg

I'll update as this project progresses! Fixing my broken Detroit Locker is first on my list, so be patient, folks!

:cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What are you doing with the rest of the Bronco 2????

What are you doing with the rest of the Bronco 2????

Hey, B-Rad,

The rest of the Bronco is (I'm assuming) still in possession of the owner. It's west of Harrisonville and he's parting it out. I didn't think it was at the stage to be parted until I looked closer. There is more rust evident than what you can see, the back hatch is cracked, and the motor has a lifter tick and bottom end knock.

And now it has no gas tank! :D :hammer:

PM me if you want the guy's contact info if you think you want something from it.

I just did a similar swap with my 91 supercab ranger. I used an '88 Bronco II tank and my stock ranger pump assembly dropped right in.
'88 BII efi tank on left, carbed '84 BII tank on the right....the carbed tank has only a 2" opening and will not work with the efi setups, (3 5/8" tank hole shared by efi bronco II, ranger, explorer and aerostar).
downsized_0318111452.jpg

Back