Towing with bumper hitch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing with bumper hitch

Hi everyone
I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport with bumper towing package. We are thinking of buying a tent trailer and I was wondering if anyone out there has towed a tent trailer with the bumper hitch. The trailer uses a 2" ball. Has anyone towed a tent trailer with the bumper hitch and what are your suggestions, or thoughts on this.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I suggest you get under the X to see if rust at the bumper or mounts are an issue. You should be fine assuming the tounge weight is is specs. I towed a 18' Lund boat for several years with no problem. Watch the junk yards for a hitch to install down the road.

Hitches are very inexpensive- once I learned what holds the bumper level/onto the truck, I never used a bumper hitch again. Maybe over-cautious, but I just err'd on the side of safety I guess.

Hi everyone
I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport with bumper towing package. We are thinking of buying a tent trailer and I was wondering if anyone out there has towed a tent trailer with the bumper hitch. The trailer uses a 2" ball. Has anyone towed a tent trailer with the bumper hitch and what are your suggestions, or thoughts on this.
Thanks

I moved your thread to the towing section so you have a better chance of getting the answer you need.

~Mark

Definitely get a receiver style hitch. While the bumper probably has plenty of capacity- my popup weighs about 1600 lbs and I think the bumper is rated for 3500. My hitch, I believe is rated for 7500 lbs. Like with all things towing related, reserve capacity is always better than maxing out or even coming close to full capacity.

I second the receiver style hitch. One of the first things I put on mine and not that expensive. Worth every penny when towing. DO NOT trust a bumper hitch when towing weighted down trailers, even pop ups.

Ya man these guys are pry right, a receiver hitch would be the BEST option ... but you didnt specify the size and weight of your trailer. Mine is about 1300, towed it with a first gen and a 3rd gen a hundred times, no problem at all. controls it just fine. The 3rd gen is a little tall for it though. and my first is with the lift, just check out the specs. Use your best judgement, its been done before, but its been done "better" too.

Back