Replacing bench with 2nd row bucket seats | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

thorongil

Reaction score
I am considering buying the 2011 Explorer. I would really want to get the 2 bucket seats in the second row, but as far as packages go - this is only available in Limited with Rapid Spec 301A with Luxury Seating Package. That forces me to buy a lot of features I am not interested in.

My question is - can I buy a lower model/package - like XLT - and just buy the 2 bucket seats and install them in place of the stock second row bench?
Are the seat mounts for the second row bucket seats and the bench seat the same of different? What about the floor carpets etc?

Anyone has access to part diagrams to check it or practical hands on experience with that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am considering buying the 2011 Explorer. I would really want to get the 2 bucket seats in the second row, but as far as packages go - this is only available in Limited with Rapid Spec 301A with Luxury Seating Package. That forces me to buy a lot of features I am not interested in.

My question is - can I buy a lower model/package - like XLT - and just buy the 2 bucket seats and install them in place of the stock second row bench?
Are the seat mounts for the second row bucket seats and the bench seat the same of different? What about the floor carpets etc?

Anyone has access to part diagrams to check it or practical hands on experience with that?

Your problem would be that unless you get the XLT with the 202 package and leather, that you'd never be able to get the 2nd row bucket seats in cloth.....

Your problem would be that unless you get the XLT with the 202 package and leather, that you'd never be able to get the 2nd row bucket seats in cloth.....

That's correct (I hate the way car manufacturers 'package' the options - why doesn't Ford offer second row bucket seats in cloth???) - I was thinking about the XLT with 202 and leather so that the finish of the seats is the same - but would the bucket seats be just a 'drop in' replacement for the bench is the big question.

Yes, they should be a drop in. One of the things car manufacturers do when they design a vehicle is ensure that all options are easily interchangeable for ease of manufacturing on the assembly line.

However, unless you find a set in a boneyard somewhere, they will probably cost you an arm and a leg.

Agreed. I would love to do this conversion in my Mountaineer but when you price the cost its expensive. lol.

Yes, they should be a drop in. One of the things car manufacturers do when they design a vehicle is ensure that all options are easily interchangeable for ease of manufacturing on the assembly line.

However, unless you find a set in a boneyard somewhere, they will probably cost you an arm and a leg.

Well - I am hoping they are drop in - but experience has taught me never to assume and do things based just on hope, as manufacturers also do most illogical things.

As far as cost goes - considering that a Limited with 2nd row bucket seats would likely cost me about $5000 more than XLT, I think that 2 new bucket seats should sell for well under $5000 - as long as they do I am ahead :)

But - I still need to make sure it is a 'drop in' replacement first.

what do people like about the buckets compared to the bench? i found the bench to be pretty comfortable; the buckets were nice too - but id rather have the room for a 3rd person than a big 2nd row center console.

As far as cost goes - considering that a Limited with 2nd row bucket seats would likely cost me about $5000 more than XLT, I think that 2 new bucket seats should sell for well under $5000 - as long as they do I am ahead :)

You might have sticker shock. Without even looking at the parts price's I would guess the center console would be 12-1400 dollars and each seat would be 1500 +each. Remember if you had to rebuild a 50K truck by buying all parts individually, I bet you would be spending 200K.

If your spending that much buy the limited. As you will get the difference back plus in resale value.

We considered getting buckets on the limited we ordered.

Pros
  • Easy access to 3rd row - no need to fold seats forward
  • Seats slide - allow for more/less room for 2nd or 3rd row passengers
  • More comfortable seats? One review I saw mentioned bench seat seamed to be angled down too much, not so with buckets

Cons
  • No "7th seat" - we have a family of 6, so if we had gone with buckets, there was no ability (when all family was on board) for one of our kids to invite a friend to come with us, nor if just us, was there any ability to re-arrange seating so that we could fold down part of the 3rd row to accommodate larger items
  • No armrests on bucket seats (from what I read)

Really in the end, not having the 7th seat was a deal breaker on the buckets due to having a larger family.

I have to take my Mountaineer in for a oil change and tire rotation today at the dealership. I will inquire about this and see what I come up with.

what do people like about the buckets compared to the bench? i found the bench to be pretty comfortable; the buckets were nice too - but id rather have the room for a 3rd person than a big 2nd row center console.

Oh - it is not that I like bucket seats more - I want to be able to put 2 child seats in the second row and still have access to the third row - bucket seats / no console is the only way to achieve that. I do not find child seats in the third row practical, as I hate having to take them out every time I want to carry more stuff and need to fold the third row.

And yes - if I find out that Ford wants $2000 for each bucket seat it will pretty much sink that idea - I will have to either buy the Limited then or go with Chevy Traverse (that has much more flexible seating options)

Oh - it is not that I like bucket seats more - I want to be able to put 2 child seats in the second row and still have access to the third row - bucket seats / no console is the only way to achieve that. I do not find child seats in the third row practical, as I hate having to take them out every time I want to carry more stuff and need to fold the third row.

And yes - if I find out that Ford wants $2000 for each bucket seat it will pretty much sink that idea - I will have to either buy the Limited then or go with Chevy Traverse (that has much more flexible seating options)

Anyone found more in this?

We have bench now, but that was a mistake as I can't access the 3rd row with 2 child seats.

I searched FordParts.com, 2nd row bucket seat "frame and Panel" cost ~$209 (part number 613A38), but they don't list the whole seat assembly including the leather cover etc..

We called our dealer's service department, they told us "No" cant do that, which doesn't make sense to me.

Anyone found more in this?

We have bench now, but that was a mistake as I can't access the 3rd row with 2 child seats.

I searched FordParts.com, 2nd row bucket seat "frame and Panel" cost ~$209 (part number 613A38), but they don't list the whole seat assembly including the leather cover etc..

We called our dealer's service department, they told us "No" cant do that, which doesn't make sense to me.

I know that on the Taurus X (my old car) people on the forum would find somebody to swap with. The seats are direct transplant from the Taurus X to the Explorer so I would imagine that they would swap very easily.

if you can find somebody fairly local and willing to swap you might be able to do on a Saturday morning for maybe the cost of a donut and cup of coffee. Start a new topic and see if you can get a taker.

I would be surprised if you could swap buckets for bench and vice-versa.

Seat belt Airbags, wiring harnesses etc

Anybody have more info on this? The EX is gone if I can't do the conversion. New baby just got here and there is absolutely no room in the back seat for the infant seat or for my 3 year old in her seat. It is the number one disappointment in the new EX in my opinion :(

In the 2013 MY you can order captin/bucket chairs for 2nd row on the XLT package ... so no longer have to spend extra for limited.

See info. here in this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338330

My dealer advised the following changes

Front passenger knee airbag standard on all models

New colour offerings
— Kodiak Brown Metallic
— Green Gem Metallic
— Oxford White
— Deep Impact Blue
— Ruby Red Metallic Tinted Clearcoat

Colours no longer available
— Golden Bronze
— White Suede
— Dark Blue Pearl

The Limited Luxury Seat Package gets the heated steering wheel and the Power Tilt/Telescoping steering column.

The Limited Technology Package gets the Lane Departure Warning and Lane Keep Assist and the Auto High Beams.

2nd Row Bucket Seats – 6 passengers (w/Power Assist
Folding Seats, Adjustable Tracks) and 2nd Row Console now available on XLT models

New Final Drive Ratio's for the 3.5L Ti-VCT V6 Engine

Hey everyone!

Thanks first of all for all the information you all are sharing through the forum. It helped me to make my decision to pick up my new 2013 Ford Explorer Limited last week and I couldn't be more thrilled!

One thing however I'm questioning is the limited space for the second row bench seats and rather I should have gone with the bucket seat option. Does anyone know if there is a way to add them after the fact?

Thanks in advance for your info and reading!

EW

It might be possible, and probably could be done, but it would be mega expensive!

Hey everyone!

Thanks first of all for all the information you all are sharing through the forum. It helped me to make my decision to pick up my new 2013 Ford Explorer Limited last week and I couldn't be more thrilled!

One thing however I'm questioning is the limited space for the second row bench seats and rather I should have gone with the bucket seat option. Does anyone know if there is a way to add them after the fact?

Thanks in advance for your info and reading!

EW
Welcome to the Forum ericcwhitaker. :wavey:
As VinceL mentioned, it may be possible but likely won't be inexpensive. The 2nd row buckets are mounted in such a way that, unlike the bench seat, they can slide forward and back so they must be mounted on a type of rail.
I checked fordparts.com and there are 97 pages on seats alone.
I would estimate that if it could be done that you might be looking at a minimum of $2000. Likely more. Don't forget you aren't just looking at the seats but seat belts, air bags and a lot of various hardware items.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Vince and Peter. First of all thanks for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens here amongst all us fellow Explorer owners.

Thanks also for the info. As much as I hate the limited space, I'll learn to love it despite the price. Regardless I love my X more than I loved my Edge. Things have changed a lot since the 1995 Explorer (or more affectionately Exploder) that I had in college.

EW

Back