Delivery Times!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

explorerfan2011

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT 202A
I ordered a 2011 Ford Explorer XLT with the 202A rapid spec package two months ago. The vehicle is built, I got a vin, but no vehicle yet. My dealer had led me to believe that the ETA was the week of the 14th along with some other vehicles ordered around the same time. Well, the week of the 14th has come and gone. It seems the dealerships do not have access to the exact whereabouts of your vehicle at any given time, seems ridiculous to me, but it is what it is.

After getting a bit impatient with no new information concerning my vehicle, I searched and searched for a line to contact Ford direct to see where my vehicle was at.

I tell you what, Ford does a good job of hiding that customer service number from the public, I mean it's there, but you have to be looking intensely for it to find it. Once you call the number be patient and after about 13 different selections from the automated system, you finally are led to a live Ford Rep.

Success, I finally made contact, unfortunately this lady wasn't in the "mood" to provide good customer service, but reluctantly she was able to answer my questions.

The dealership had told me that my vehicle was "in transit" and ETA was the week of 14th, and this was about a week before the 14th. So a week after the 14th, I got impatient and made the call to Ford, which they informed me that they have the same information that the dealership has, but would look it up anyways. Well, my vehicle was still in Chicago, not "in transit" and according to the Ford Rep, my vehicle was "awaiting shipping," whatever that means. It had been "awaiting shipping" since the 21st, it's now the 26th and my vehicle is still "awaiting shipping."

I don't know how long it takes to build and ship, but how long could it possible take to ship a vehicle when all it is doing is "awaiting shipping."

I filed a complaint with Ford about the misinformation from the dealership and Ford contacted me the next day very eager to get to the bottom of my complaint. The Ford Rep was very professional this time and very apologetic for the leading on from the dealership. He said my vehicle will be shipped out as soon as they can get it out and annotated expedite on the vehicle's shipping status, so we will see. He said something like Wednesday of next week I should at the very least know if the vehicle is "in transit" to the dealership.

I just wanted to share my buying experience with you guys in case someone else is in the same boat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I really question the accuracy of any information they have on where the vehicle is at a given point in time. Mine was built on the 17th and had an ETA to the Dealer of 3/24 and then 3/25 and now 3/31 but as of 3/25 it was still awaiting shipment.

I have given up calling the customer service number since I have had 3 different stories the last 3 times I have called. It seems like they have multiple place to check the status and each one has different information. I called on 3/23 and was told the dealer would have it on 3/24 so I asked her to double check. She looked at another screen and said oh your ETA is 3/31. She then said oh that doesn't make sense because it was built on 3/17 and it is only 4 days for transit to your dealer so why would it be 3/31? I said can you check the status of the vehicle and she came back and said "awaiting shipment" so it still hasn't left Chicago.

I am sure it will be worth it when it arrives but I can't believe Ford is not able to better track their vehicles through the production to delivery cycle and provide updates to customers that have waited 8, 10, 12 weeks or more for their orders to arrive.

10 weeks Monday!

im not holding out hope. ive read so many of these same stories.. cars built... awaiting shipping.. its worse KNOWING the car is built - just sitting there waiting on someone to deliver it to the dealer.

I wish i didnt know that. the first month was easy. these next few weeks are not.

they should throw in some added incentives for the wait here. if were told 4-6 weeks and its really 10-12 - whats the deal!!

Mine took about 2 weeks for delivery (about to go pick it up now), there was a quality hold on vehivles before mine though.

10 weeks from order. It was built 2/18/2011 .

My hope is that Ford is over the hump of major quality issues (except, now supply of Japanese parts/pigments).

Perhaps it's just wishful thinking, but following this forum and the Facebook site, it seems like the frequency of people experiencing 2 - 3 week build-to-delivery times is increasing.

My own 2/19 order [XLT 202A Blis Tow Cross-bars]
- built 3/25 (5 weeks order to build. Build date was on schedule)
- Sync 2.7 verified installed same day as build (seemed very quick)
- Initial ETA at the dealership was 4/4 which seemed too quick based on the slew of people waiting way over 4 weeks after their build.
- On 3/25 I was told my ETA was pushed back from 4/4 to 4/11 [more realistic, even though disappointing]

So I'm either joining many here with delayed deliveries, or with no quality holds, I'll see the X the w/o 4/11.

Only time will tell.

My hope is that Ford is over the hump of major quality issues (except, now supply of Japanese parts/pigments).

Perhaps it's just wishful thinking, but following this forum and the Facebook site, it seems like the frequency of people experiencing 2 - 3 week build-to-delivery times is increasing.

- Initial ETA at the dealership was 4/4 which seemed too quick based on the slew of people waiting way over 4 weeks after their build.
- On 3/25 I was told my ETA was pushed back from 4/4 to 4/11 [more realistic, even though disappointing]

So I'm either joining many here with delayed deliveries, or with no quality holds, I'll see the X the w/o 4/11.

Only time will tell.

this is the part i don't get; I am not complaining, just that my dates are just too good to be true. your order on 2/19/11 build date 3/25/11 (more than a month)...my order date 3/8/11 has a build date 3/30/11 on sticker (only 20 days?) not sure about my sync yet. then, even my build date is only 5 days after yours, my dealer said my ETA is about end of April...well, if i can get it in May, i am happy.

Only time will tell.

im not even getting ETA dates anymore.. I had order placed 2/17. build date 3/14 - ETA 3/21.
I was told on 3/15 - the build date is 3/17.... then dealer says on monday 3/21 - shipped in transit. should be here any day.

on 3/25 Seni says - its been built - but no ETA now. check back with us soon. and thats the last ive heard.

So if you are getting a delayed 4/11 - im not even getting that. so what am i 4/17? 4/24?

if i dont have the car on 4/6-4/8 im probably going to go to the dealer and cancel my order. I cant cancel a family vacation bc i was pretty much lied too at the time of the order. i was repeatedly told no problem, no problem - there will be plenty of time. Had they said - well there has been some issues coming off the line or anything... i wouldnt have put myself through this.

Its too risky now.

Nothing here yet either after a month...sigh

Edit: OOPS, mis-read this....sorry my info is not about shipping, just the order iteslf.

Saw a carrier load of explorers headed west out of Chicago on I-88. The fact they were ALL black may indicate fleet sales though.

Saw a carrier load of explorers headed west out of Chicago on I-88. The fact they were ALL black may indicate fleet sales though.

awww crap

I ordered 3/7, got my DORA on 3/8, called CS on Friday, still not scheduled ...

Nothing here yet either after a month...sigh

Edit: OOPS, mis-read this....sorry my info is not about shipping, just the order iteslf.

Hi George. I gave up and cancelled my order. Will wait until they are on the lots, if I go back to Ford at all. Good luck with yours.

<on soapbox>

Seni- as a lifetime Ford fan, I respectfully suggest that you let some higher-ups at Ford see the links to some of these threads. I'm in no way saying that you're not handling questions, because you are- incredibly well, and it's a tough position to be in- I just think they need to be wholly aware of the swell of dissatisfied customers that are growing. Do not let this fester. As someone said, "people come to a forum to complain" but not entirely- there are customers, all over the country (heck- Canada too) who have ordered, get led around, and dumped off at the corner in the hopes that one day they might get some good info one day.

Ford created a LOT of goodwill by not taking bailout money, by building excellent vehicles, and introducing a great new Explorer. A lot of these customers are new ones, and ones that have probably been led to Ford from people that had good experiences.

In my opinion, Ford is blowing it. They're messing this whole launch up, and they're not in any shape or form adequately communicating what's going on to the people that are indirectly paying their paychecks. If people knew why their cars were not coming in, that would be one thing. But hiding behind build weeks vs. dates, moving them around, and seeing someone with a February build with an Ex in the driveway while your neighbor who ordered in November still frustrated and being led around without a new vehicle is wholly unacceptable.

We were ordering a new 2011 this spring. There is no way I'd step foot in a dealership until at least next spring. I'm not sure all of the Sync and MFT issues are worked out, and I would have zero confidence in the time frame that I was given following an order. Even my dealership is frustrated over it, we were talking this weekend when I had stopped to pick up some parts for my Ex. They're frustrated at the allocations, the changing dates, and the lack of real answers.

Get it together- Ford is better than this. Or they should be.

<off soapbox>

Ordered mine Feb. 19th. (limited 4x4 301a) DORA processed on March4th. Dealer said build date would be March 21st with delivery about a week later. Can I track or find out about my vehicle without bugging dealer?

How do you decipher the build date from the window sticker? Mine was either built on 3/18 or 3/26 (I don't know which code to look at) and has an ETA of 4/18. So it seems as if Ford is starting to use more realistic ETA's.

Limited -4X4 -302A -Tow : Hopefully nothing there to hold it back. BTW, My delivery method says convoy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just got my window sticker. Cool!!!! On a different thread they said look for the numbers upper left starting with 12011. Ignore the 1. 2011 is the year. My says120110323. Build date March 23rd. But that date can get delayed. There are other dates bottom left. Wish i knew what they meant. The dealer originally said a build date of March 21st. Can anyone give me the lowdown on all the info on the sticker?

Back