• Register Today It's free!

Need Info On 2nd Gen's

LBJ75

Reaction score
City, State
Lodi, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer
Looking into getting a 2nd gen Explorer/Mercury. I have a pretty built Ranger and want to put as many parts that I can from the Ranger to the 2nd gen. My criteria is for a 5.0. I was wondering if there is a consensus on which is the best year, or if there is one. Also wondering if the 2nd gens have tranny problems like the 1st gens(v-8 trannys). Lastly, I know each year usually has some changes. Is there a link that describes the changes for each year? I did a search and checked FAQ's but didn't come up with what I was looking for. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

all the v-8's are all wheel drive so some of the stuff from your ranger may not work.

1997's are torsion bar front suspension which limits what you can do with it till you do a S.A.S. to it like I'm working on.

Not all V8s are all wheel drive I have a 96 EB 5.0 and it is rear wheel drive so there are some out there that are 4x2
mine has 222,900 miles and the motor apperars to still be strong and life left in it
just replace the trany about 1,000 miles ago not sure if it was the original or not since I have not owned it that long bought it knowing I was going to
have to do the trany sad part is if they would have kept up on fluid changes it may not have failed
the fluid was like mud but didnt really smell burnt replace the trany drained the entire system and new fluid and so far very happy with the explorer
have a small water leak I belive it is around the bottom of the tstat housing
I will warn you too look and see if plugs have ever been changed on it I dont know when mine had its last plug change but I had 1 plug on pass
side that was rusted in so bad it snapped off and it too me 3 days to finaly get it out man I was lucky it came out at all
I have read this is common since people are not changing plugs untill around 100k or more

Most V8's are AWD but there are some 2WD (I have one). It should be easier to find one in a warm weather state like California. The V8 trannys are much stronger than the first gen slush boxes.

Anyone else care to chime in? I really am interested to know what the sensor is on top of the rear housing. Is that the VSS? I was reading in the AWD t-case swap thread that the 97-98's have the VSS in the t-case, so is this sensor not in the rear axle pumpkin on these years? Reason being is I would like to put my running gear under the Explorer and the rear is an older 9".

That's the common ABS sensor for the two rear wheels

... I really am interested to know what the sensor is on top of the rear housing. Is that the VSS? ...

That's the common ABS sensor for the two rear wheels

... I really am interested to know what the sensor is on top of the rear housing. Is that the VSS? ...

In my research it looks like this sensor is used as both abs and vss on 98 and up models. What I want is a year that has the VSS in the t-case or a speedo cable so I can swap out the rear axle and still have a working speedometer. I don't care about ABS or cruise.

Anyone else care to chime in? I really am interested to know what the sensor is on top of the rear housing. Is that the VSS? I was reading in the AWD t-case swap thread that the 97-98's have the VSS in the t-case, so is this sensor not in the rear axle pumpkin on these years? Reason being is I would like to put my running gear under the Explorer and the rear is an older 9".

98' and up all have their speedometers run from the rear diff NOT from the T-Case like previous years. So if you where to get a 98-01 you would have to figure out a way to get a speed sensor to work. Since your 9" wont have one on the diff.

The transmissions in the V8's are 4R70W's. Its more or less the same tranny that's in all the half tons. Very strong and most on here never have to touch them until 200K+. Also has a nice low 1st gear for great wheelin. (If you do the 4406 Swap for low range) Any questions on them look through the Diff/Transmission/T-Case section. Also the 5.0L V8 drive train has been voted on here as by far being the strongest/longest/ and most reliable drive train put under the Explorer.

As for differences, a few you might care about or might not. The 98 and up years have a different lift gate and tail lights than the 97 and down years. The 97 and down years are the ones with the twist T handle to open glass and the lift gate. 98 and up is a lever under a trim piece. 2nd the 99 and up years have the better cast iron exhaust manifolds on them. The 98 and under had tube style ones that crack and leak. (I replaced my 98's with the cast iron ones, also a hair better flow and MPG) And third the 98 and up years have more of a medal torsion key pad that doesn't wear out like the 97 and down ones. When they are bad the just kind of clunk when turning into driveways and things. Other than that they stayed pretty much the same, minus a few same things here and there.

older 9" axle

axleworkpics039.jpg

axleworkpics040.jpg

222710.jpg

axleworkpics038.jpg

axleworkpics037.jpg

rear anti loc brake sensor in ford 9" axle

98' and up all have their speedometers run from the rear diff NOT from the T-Case like previous years. So if you where to get a 98-01 you would have to figure out a way to get a speed sensor to work. Since your 9" wont have one on the diff.

The transmissions in the V8's are 4R70W's. Its more or less the same tranny that's in all the half tons. Very strong and most on here never have to touch them until 200K+. Also has a nice low 1st gear for great wheelin. (If you do the 4406 Swap for low range) Any questions on them look through the Diff/Transmission/T-Case section. Also the 5.0L V8 drive train has been voted on here as by far being the strongest/longest/ and most reliable drive train put under the Explorer.

As for differences, a few you might care about or might not. The 98 and up years have a different lift gate and tail lights than the 97 and down years. The 97 and down years are the ones with the twist T handle to open glass and the lift gate. 98 and up is a lever under a trim piece. 2nd the 99 and up years have the better cast iron exhaust manifolds on them. The 98 and under had tube style ones that crack and leak. (I replaced my 98's with the cast iron ones, also a hair better flow and MPG) And third the 98 and up years have more of a medal torsion key pad that doesn't wear out like the 97 and down ones. When they are bad the just kind of clunk when turning into driveways and things. Other than that they stayed pretty much the same, minus a few same things here and there.

Thanks!! All my questions answered in one shot!!

older 9" axle
rear anti loc brake sensor in ford 9" axle

That looks good. But, the ABS will be gone from the front HP D44 I am putting in so the point is moot.

Now that I take a step back and think about this. If I wanted a newer Explorer, which I would prefer, and I did the 4406 t-case swap, I should be able to figure out how to get the speedo working through that t-case. Is the ABS sensor for 98 and up a combined ABS/VSS sensor? Or would it be a matter of cutting and splicing a couple of wires?

Not sure on that one. And yes if im not mistaken you get a little older 4406 it should have the VSS on the t case. Just unsure how to make it and the abs work, either by separate sensors hooked together somehow or all off the T Case VSS? Not sure I didn't have to mess with that on mine. Also if you read through the 4406 swap thread there is a link somewhere in there how someone converted a non VSS T Case to one that would accept it. Put a small gear on the output shaft. He may be able to answer the abs question as well.

Did all model years of the 2nd gen have a 5.0 v-8 option?

Ok, it seems from what I was reading, http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726
that the 97,98 AWD model years are the ones with the VSS in the T-case. Then I read in the same article above that the VSS is in the T-case in all pre 98 AWD models. Does anyone know for sure which it is?? Thanks

Sorry to have you answer that question twice. I was re-reading and see you had already answered that question.

Now, back to the drivetrain. Do I really want the 5.0l? Looks like only 5 hp more than the 4.0. Not sure about torque, but how is the longevity of the 4.0 motor/tranny combo compared to the 5.0 motor/tranny combo? Also, looking up the fuel mileage it looks like the 4.0 has only a 1 mpg advantage. How do the real world numbers of these two motors stack up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Longevity should be better. Small engines, "pushed" in power, have more stress on internal parts than a bigger one. Higher rpm's too. Sure, they will be more efficient at low loads (higher mpg in slow traffic)...
4.0L has also some known issues due to the extensive use of plastic parts (intake, water thermostat housing, etc).

Back