2002 4x4 problems | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 4x4 problems

when you say turn the key on, you mean 1 click forward that would turn on the radio right? I did all that and everything was reset, but after doing that I was getting the flashing 4wd lights 3 times every so often on the dash, where before nothing happened at all. So I reset it again and have not tried the 4wd yet because I dont want the flashing lights, lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No 4x4, no lights, and get clicking noise at Module

I have a 2001. If I put the dash switch to 4x4 I get a series of clicking noises at the 4X4 control Module under the passenger dash. I figured my Shift Motor at the transmission was bad, so I replaced it with a new one. Same problem. The Shift motor gets power, sort of like a motor trying to spin up. But the unit does not turn the slot that is supposed to turn the transmission to 4x4. This happens with the new Shift Motor, and the old Shift motor. I can manually engage the 4x4 system with a wrench while the Shift Motor is removed. When I do this the Truck is in 4X4.

Any ideas?

Just replaced my module finally tonight. Picked it up from the dealer I work at for $156 put it in when I got home and seems to be working. Lights on dash stay on and I hear clicks from the module. Now we just need the snow they are calling for this area this weekend to try it out, lol.

2002 4x4 problem

Hello I'm new to this forum. I've been reading about the 4 x 4 MC problem and mine was working fine. Till one day my car didn't start and my dad looked in the under the hood and notice that the battery post were dirty. He took the unplugged the cables to the battery and clean the post. After this not only was the 4x4 not working but my remote to unlock the door didn't work. I took it to a machanic and he told me that I need a new battery for my remote (which I did and it still didn't work) and he could order me a MC for about $300 plus work. So far I have not taken it back to him. I'm going to try doing the battery reset myself. As a female I think I can manage this. If not then I will order the module control and try to install it myself. BTW he checked all the fuses and they were fine. Also for some reason the display of the odemeter is not coming on. So I can't read my mileage or the tempature. Any help is appreciated.

The 4x4 control module may only fix your 4x4 issues. It will not fix your wireless entry problems, nor your odometer and temp display issues. I would not buy anything in your case, I would go to a different mechanic.

Cdaddy78, you wrote:

"Sounds like it is working normally. To go into 4 lo, you must be in neutral with your foot on the brake, otherwise it won't go. 4 auto doesn't illuminate any lights, as it is essentially what you are always in unless in 4 hi or lo."

Thanks man... After reading your post on this I pulled on my boots and went out and tried it. It worked. Where do I send my $2200.00 dollars.
I 'll just send it to you in good wishes. Cause that's about all I have. But I will pass it on as well. Thanks for taking the time to post on here.

I've had this problem too, thinking I had a BAD 4x4 CM, the one located in the glove box. I would DEFINITELY try the "BATTERY RESET" FIRST!! Clearly because I tried it and IT WORKED !! Here was my problem, obviously, no 4x4, on one of the worst snow days, tried engaging 4x4Hi to go up steep hill to my house. NO go. No nothing, no lights blinking, no clicking sounds, nothing. The next day, I tried troubleshooting the problem. I noticed when you first get turn the key, and all the dash lights come on, I had "4x4Lo" light up, but no "4x4Hi" dash light. Therefore, I thought I had a bad 4x4 CM. Was JUST ABOUT to order a new one from SilverState Ford in Nevada, when I decided to check here one more time for a CHEAPER solution. By the way, I also had problems with dead battery, which according to some, if you swap out battery incorrectly, it will "fry" your 4x4CM. That may or may not be true, but apparently if you do this battery reset procedure, it SHOULD bring your 4x4Hi back to life.

I did the battery reset. Just like others have posted. Remove the POS cable to your battery. Then, put key in ignition and turn. I did it BOTH ways, since I wasn't sure if you should just TURN and STOP just BEFORE you would "start" car, or if you should trun ALL THE WAY, as if you were going to start the car. Anyway, did it BOTH ways. Went back inside to warm up coffee and grab a piece of toast. Went back out after 5 mins, reconnected the POS cable to battery and then went to start car. BE ADVISED. At first, I didn't think it worked because the "4x4Hi" dash light didn't light up, just the "4x4Lo". However, when you actually go all the way and START the vehicle, I actually saw the "4x4Hi" dash light come one, and when I pushed the 4x4Hi button, I heard the clicking and voila, the "4x4Hi" dash light stayed on. So, I "guess" I have 4x4Hi now? LOL. We're supposed to get more snow in the next few days. Will let you know, but I'm pretty sure, from hearing the clicking both inside AND outside the vehicle, the 4x4 was engaging. Good Luck to all !

4x4 mod

Changed 4x4 mod works great all of you guys are the best :D

Subscribed to this thread, just in case.

4wd tech question

I'm a new member and glad to find this form. I've been having a problem with my 02' Explorer Sport Trac 4wd lately and was trying to find the possible problem and solution. After numerous "Google" searches I ended up on this form, which looks like the best place for tech questions and answers. On my Sport Trac the 4wd will not disengage when I switch it from 4Hi to 2wd while "on the fly". When I shift it into 4Hi "on the fly" it will shift into 4wd and the light on the dash shows it's in 4Hi. However, when I shift it back to 2wd while "on the fly" the light on the dash will go off but the 4wd is still engaged (I can still feel it pulling like it's engage). The only why I can get it to disengage is by stopping the vehicle and turning it off. I'm not sure if it's the transfer case motor or the 4x4 module or something else. I don't want to start buying parts and replacing them until I have a better idea of which part(s) to replace. Any ideas would be help.

Hey guys I to am having the famous 4wd issue but mine is a little different. 02 ford explorer xlt. Last year I lost my 4wd and had the blinking light of death. Fortunately it was near summer so i let it be. A month later i replaced the battery and the light stopped blinking. I turned the key to on but engine off and saw 4wd lo and when started saw both lights so i assumed it was working. Well halfway on the beach i found out i was wrong lol. My problem is my lights on the dash do work and do not blink. If i switch to 4wd high I do not hear any relay click but the light does state 4wd high. If I switch it to low i do hear a click and it states on the dash 4wd lo. Problem is there is no 4wd. I got a chance to go to the encoder motor and it moves to the correct positions with buttons pressed. Took the car to a shop and no codes but all the data said it was working. could this still be my module and are you suppose to hear a relay click in 4wd high? Thanks everyone

I know this threads really dragged out and not really active but I dont know what else to do, my problems are similar but still different then the 7 PAGES!! lol.

so a long story short:

STUCK IN 4wd High!

shifts into 4 Low fine, makes click...
shifts outta low and stays in 4WD HIGH

It WILL NOT go into 4wd AUTO

I unplugged the module under the dash and it USE to default 2wd,
Tried it when this problem occurred and now WITH THE MODULE UNPLUGGED IT IS STILL IN 4HIGH <<<

so now what the heck can it be??

I know this threads really dragged out and not really active but I dont know what else to do, my problems are similar but still different then the 7 PAGES!! lol.

so a long story short:

STUCK IN 4wd High!

shifts into 4 Low fine, makes click...
shifts outta low and stays in 4WD HIGH

It WILL NOT go into 4wd AUTO

I unplugged the module under the dash and it USE to default 2wd,
Tried it when this problem occurred and now WITH THE MODULE UNPLUGGED IT IS STILL IN 4HIGH <<<

so now what the heck can it be??

What I did was, plug the module back in, disconnect the batter for 10 minutes, restart the truck (don't drive), shut it down and then disconnect the module. The reset should bring it out of 4x4hi. Worked for me.

Hope this helps.

What I did was, plug the module back in, disconnect the batter for 10 minutes, restart the truck (don't drive), shut it down and then disconnect the module. The reset should bring it out of 4x4hi. Worked for me.

Hope this helps.

That was my next step after reading all 7 pages haha!

But Bright and early Il be doing that tomorrow, when you said restart the truck, how long did you leave it run before shutting it down again?

That was my next step after reading all 7 pages haha!

But Bright and early Il be doing that tomorrow, when you said restart the truck, how long did you leave it run before shutting it down again?

Just long enough to watch all my gauges cycle and the cd pop out of the radio.

if that does not work you might have to manually put it in 2wd from the transfer case. Maybe the motor is dead or not turning

if that does not work you might have to manually put it in 2wd from the transfer case. Maybe the motor is dead or not turning

Yep sounds like it.

My truck now won't engage in 4x4 mode. I think the electronic clutch has been destroyed, because of the all the metal shavings in the oil.

really? are all the lights working as normal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lol, its to early in the morning, i def remember. did you call for used units

Back