• Register Today It's free!

steve4578

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT , 96 XLT
Hi everyone,
I just bought a 96 Explorer XLT that has a 5 speed tranny w/ 4wd. I got it for $500. It has 205k miles on it! But it is in excellent condition. The tranny was just rebuild 10k miles ago. It only needs an e-brake cable. The body is excellent except for a small ding on the drivers door and hood and it has a little rust below both rear doors (i'm going to get them fixed when i have a little more $). The interior is gray and cloth. The drivers seat has a small rip on it. But other then that the car is in almost mint condition.

Im planning on doing some mods to it. But nothing big. I already started by putting a Dual HD radio in it from my other explorer, 2 12" PYLE subs with a visonik amp (im upgrading to a dual amp that my friend has), and I added blue LED lights under the seats.

The mods I'm going to do : train horn, Viper alarm, front window tint, I have a limited edition grille that i'm going to get painted blue (color of the explorer) and i'm going to put it on, iggee leather seat covers, carbon fiber dash kit, 2" torsion twist, 2" shackle lift, 3 inch body lift, lund moon visor, clear black headlight housings (I already have them),10k HID's (headlights and fogs) (I have them also), CB radio w/ PA speaker (have that too), blue lights under the hood that turn on when you open the hood, i found a really nice pair of 18" rims that are chrome and black, I will get big tires for them, carbon fiber pillars, carbon shifter knob, I have blue under-glows i'm going to be installing soon, turbo kit , and a center console swap to the console that stretches to the dash board and i will integrate the shifter in it.

For now, its hard to do mods because it is really cold out all the time and I don't have a garage to work on it in yet. Most of the mods aren't complicated and easy to do. I took some pictures of it when i got it and in a snow storm we had a couple days later. We've had SOO MUCH SNOW this winter where I am, but both my explorers haven't gotten stuck yet!! :D

Ill keep you guys posted on everything I do !!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pics

Attachments

• 5411276873_f5e87ec5f6.jpg
    5411276873_f5e87ec5f6.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 804
  • 5411278407_a55aae04af.jpg
    5411278407_a55aae04af.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 751
  • 5411887824_3b40caa2a8.jpg
    5411887824_3b40caa2a8.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 736
  • 5411888510_6efbb13e3e.jpg
    5411888510_6efbb13e3e.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,095

Yes it was!! and thanks!

Nice! I had a Green '96 XLT 5-Speed. It was my favorite Explorer I had and I've had 5. I wish I had found this site before I got rid of it and I would never have gotten rid of it.

they do come from the factory like this? with the 5 speed i mean.

they do come from the factory like this? with the 5 speed i mean.

yes im not sure of all the years but they were offered with a 5 speed...

Polished it yesterday with 3M Rubbing Compound and Meguiar's Mirror Glaze

Attachments

• 207089_1810726320796_1619157611_1711611_7927427_n.jpg
    207089_1810726320796_1619157611_1711611_7927427_n.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 661
  • 200707_1810727080815_1619157611_1711612_5663090_n.jpg
    200707_1810727080815_1619157611_1711612_5663090_n.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 689

Today I worked on doing a torsion twist. I got about 2 inches of lift on each side. I ordered Copper Head 2" lift shackles to lift it in the back.. Im looking for a good body lift, but there hard to find. Once I replace the shocks I will probably get a little more lift.

yea

yea ny girlfriend loves my stick also.. in my ex haha

yea ny girlfriend loves my stick also.. in my ex haha

ok you win hah, but eitherway id rather have the stick in an ex even tho the slave cylinder is kinda a dumb setup

yes im not sure of all the years but they were offered with a 5 speed...

I think 1997 was the last year you could get an XLT with a 5 spd manual (I have one with 278K miles). For the next couple of years it was only available on the stripped-down base model, and then not at all in the Gen3 body style. The pushrod 4.0 and 5-spd Control Trac system is nearly bulletproof and can run nearly forever.

=Vic=

Yea.. Its a lot fo fun compared to my auto explorer.. And it runs perfect for the amount of miles it has. The only problem is I can't get the hood open. And today i put in a Flowmaster Super 44.

Unscrew the handle from the underside of the dash, and pull on it. It should pop the hood open. Both my rigs have had this cable problem. I just attached a stiff metal handle from a paint can to the release hook on the latch, under the hood, and ran it to the opening in the grill. When you pull on that, it pops the hood. No more worries.

Great deal on a nice rig BTW :thumbup:

I think 1997 was the last year you could get an XLT with a 5 spd manual (I have one with 278K miles). For the next couple of years it was only available on the stripped-down base model, and then not at all in the Gen3 body style. The pushrod 4.0 and 5-spd Control Trac system is nearly bulletproof and can run nearly forever.

=Vic=

mines a 98' xlt with the m5od, just dropped a brand new (<1000 miles) 4.0 ohv in it runs perfect, but i could use a limited slip in the back though

Yea, mines having some problems... When ever i take my foot of the gas (in gear) it'l start grinding gears.. sometimes it does this in when i put it in reverse too .. any body know what could be wrong with it?

Yea, mines having some problems... When ever i take my foot of the gas (in gear) it'l start grinding gears.. sometimes it does this in when i put it in reverse too .. any body know what could be wrong with it?
I had a transfer case fail after heavy engine braking pulling a heavy trailer that acted that way. Went forward fine, but it sounded like it had slipped out of gear when you lifted the throttle. Fortunately, used transfer cases are all around and I had one put in for only about $125. Be sure to match the transfer case tags, they are not all the same.

=vic=

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i had the same issue i believe its the t case, i replaced mine and it stopped, manuals have a tendancy to wear gears out

Back