engine swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

engine swap

mkj

Reaction score
I have a 95 4.0 push rod engine ford explorer...I purchased a 2000 sohc 4.0 ford explorer after my 95 was rear ended last winter...the 95 engine is in exellent condition and low, low milage...I spent over a year 2 grand on this truck to bring it up to par...the 2000 is high milage and needs engine work such as tune up sensors changed ect...has good comprssion and high milage...

It will cost me 6-700.00 to get it all up to par..my question is is there any way I can swap out the 4.0 sohc for the 95 push rod type...I know on the assemly line the trucks are fitted with different engines so bolt patterens must be the same for 4.0 and 5.0.

I have the computer and harnes hoping will fit on the 95 engine...anyone know what is neeeded and can a swap be done...will it be worth my while...the 95 engine is in awesome condition.

I have a 95 4.0 push rod engine ford explorer...I purchased a 2000 sohc 4.0 ford explorer after my 95 was rear ended last winter...the 95 engine is in exellent condition and low, low milage...I spent over a year 2 grand on this truck to bring it up to par...the 2000 is high milage and needs engine work such as tune up sensors changed ect...has good comprssion and high milage...

It will cost me 6-700.00 to get it all up to par..my question is is there any way I can swap out the 4.0 sohc for the 95 push rod type...I know on the assemly line the trucks are fitted with different engines so bolt patterens must be the same for 4.0 and 5.0.

I have the computer and harnes hoping will fit on the 95 engine...anyone know what is neeeded and can a swap be done...will it be worth my while...the 95 engine is in awesome condition.

First, I believe '95 had RETURN type fuel system; 2000 may already have RETURNLESS. This will cause big problems.

Second, swapping harnesses will not guarantee PCM will be powered properly, unless you have wiring diagrams for both and check them carefully.

Third, ANYTHING can be swapped, or changed, if enough understanding of problems at hand is available. Wish I knew a simple "yes" or "no" answer for you, maybe someone else has it.....imp

many differences

1995 is OBDI while 2000 is OBDII. That means it would be difficult to use the 1995 PCM in the 2000. In order for the 2000 PCM to run the OHV you would need a custom tune ($400). You could purchase a later OBDII OHV PCM but PATS will present some problems.

1995 uses return fuel system with fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. 2000 uses returnless fuel system with fuel pressure regulator in the fuel tank. I don't know if SOHC fuel rails are compatible with OHV but doubt it since heads are different.

I believe 1995 has PFE while the 2000 has DPFE. EGR changes incorporated in custom tune.

SOHC has knock sensor to retard/advance ignition timing when detonation or knock occurs while OHV does not.

SOHC and OHV have different exhaust manifolds that may or may not require modification to the downpipe connection.

Other things to consider: rear axle ratio differences impacting transmission shift points; 4R55E vs 5R55E impacting upshift/downshift gear selection and torque converter lock; synchronizer vs camshaft position sensor; separate MAF and IAT sensors vs integrated MAF/IAT sensor.

I suggest that you sell the 1995 and use the money to maintain your 2000.

Back