Is this vibration normal? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

cfalgout2000

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa,ok
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer Ltd
I notice that when I accelerate in my 2011 Ford explorer, that I can feel the vibration in the accelerator and in my steering wheel. Is this normal?

The closest vehicle that I can compare this to is my 2007 Toyota RAV4. I don't seem to have this issue.

Maybe because of the bigger vehicle and engine, as compared to the RAV4, maybe this is normal.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the 2011 Explorer section. Rotate the tires to see if it's a problem with a tire or the actual wheel. You might have a shifted belt or an out of balance wheel. If these things check out, then it might have a bad bearing. Take it back to the dealership where you purchased it, and have them check these things out.

I've also noticed a slight vibration in the accelerator. Anyone found a cause or fix for it?

I had it a couple of times during the winter. It was snow build up in the 20" tires. Not sure if this is the case with you. Does the vibration get worse when you apply the brakes. If so it might be warped rotors.

I notice that when I accelerate in my 2011 Ford explorer, that I can feel the vibration in the accelerator and in my steering wheel. Is this normal?

Thanks

Same here. It does not happen all the time but I have felt it and questioned why. Snow or tires were not an issue.

I have also noticed this "vibration". It only happens on moderate acceleration, and stops when it shifts to 2nd gear.

I suspect that it may be the electric power steering doing it. I read an article recently where they compared a pre-production Explorer to other SUV's. They commented on how bad the torque steer was in the Explorer. Ford commented that they would have the issue fixed before it went into production. Since I haven't notice an issue with torque steer, they must have done something to fix it. I know Ford uses the electric power steering to counter the effects of torque steer, so I am wondering if that is what is being felt.

I don't feel it on lite or heavy acceleration. Seems like if it was a mechanical issue, it would happen all of the time.

Can't say I've noticed it. Just turned over 2000 kms (1242 miles). 20 " wheels with Yokohama tires.

I have a vibration as well. It feels like a tire out of balance. I'll let you know...

I have a vibration as well. It feels like a tire out of balance. I'll let you know...
If it is a consistant vibration then I think there may be a problem. If it only happens after the vehicle has been sitting for a while, than it is normal if it disappears after a couple of miles. I believe it is flat spotting and covered in the manual.

My Explorer has a February 2011 DOM. I suppose the tires could have developed flat-spot(s) between then and me buying it off the lot last week but that would really surprise me. I would think it would need to sit with low-pressure for an extended period of time (many months) to get flat spots. (?)

My Explorer has a February 2011 DOM. I suppose the tires could have developed flat-spot(s) between then and me buying it off the lot last week but that would really surprise me. I would think it would need to sit with low-pressure for an extended period of time (many months) to get flat spots. (?)
Not sure if using the term flat spots as a reference was correct. I get a slight vibration every morning after the vehicle has been parked overnight. It disappears after about 5 minutes of driving. Apparently it is more noticeable and common in the 20" tire. If the vibration you and some others are referring to is there most of the time than something else would be the cause.

Has anyone found a resolution to this vibration yet? I can best describe it as standing as a low hum which get higher pitched then lower over a four second time period. the dealer had had the vehicle DDR3 days and cannot find a cause. Ford technical had been called and so far they haven't been any help. this in combination with 6 other issues is getting old. We wish we bought a different vehicle. Who knows how this will hold up over time.

My 2011 has been in the shop for 3 days with this vibration/wiggle. I will let you know what I find out. I am not very happy about this issue!!!

Mine was in from Monday untill today. Ford acknowledged the issue and instructed dealer to replace the wheel hub. It is on order. This after a bunch of other attempts. If they don't get it repaired this tome it shouldqualify for the lemon law.

Mine was in from Monday untill today. Ford acknowledged the issue and instructed dealer to replace the wheel hub. It is on order. This after a bunch of other attempts. If they don't get it repaired this tome it shouldqualify for the lemon law.

Please keep us updated- I'm very interested in how this issue is addressed as it is a mechanical issue with potential long term impacts (bushings, transmission/drive shafts, etc).

Thanks!

Bogeydog,

Are they replacing both wheel hubs in the front end???

The closest vehicle that I can compare this to is my 2007 Toyota RAV4. I don't seem to have this issue.

Maybe because of the bigger vehicle and engine, as compared to the RAV4, maybe this is normal.

Thanks
I’m sorry I missed this thread before. I can understand how disconcerting a vibration can be, and I would like to extend an offer to help. For those of you who would like assistance with this, please message me with your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name. I’ll do everything I can to lend a hand.

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I experience this vibration consistently at 3 - 6 gear. Is this issue really a concern though?

I don't get how tire balance or anything with the driveline has anything to do with it because I should feel it on the brake pedal and the steering wheel too right? The pedal is connected to a sensor so it doesn't really connect to the driveline itself. Unless if I'm missing something here.

Back