My crazy compressor. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My crazy compressor.

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
I posted a video just last week about this. My RPM rises and drops when I turn my A/C on. The air doesn't come out cold, just cool. Here's a video showing what my compressor does: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OISTsfUp7Ss

I also noticed a small hissing noise after I turned the engine off and went to close the hood, it sounded like air escaping from the left side of the engine. It wasn't loud and was gone after 20 seconds. Yes, my check engine light is on. I plan to have it checked this Thursday when I change my transmission oil and filter. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They act that way when the system is low on refrigerant - the compressor engages, low side pressure gets too low, and then it disengages.

Engine RPM changes when the compressor kicks on and off - that's normal.

You "could" try topping it off with a kit from a parts store, but the "right way" to deal with it is to find the leak first. Check the accumulator, if it has a blanket wrapped around it, it might be rusted through - http://www.imcool.com/articles/aircondition/corroded_accumulator.htm

They act that way when the system is low on refrigerant - the compressor engages, low side pressure gets too low, and then it disengages.

Engine RPM changes when the compressor kicks on and off - that's normal.

You "could" try topping it off with a kit from a parts store, but the "right way" to deal with it is to find the leak first. Check the accumulator, if it has a blanket wrapped around it, it might be rusted through - http://www.imcool.com/articles/aircondition/corroded_accumulator.htm
Could it damage my engine if I run the A/C in the meantime?

It won't your engine, but it's probably not great for the A/C clutch. If you don't have the ability to find the leak, I'd top it off just to make sure it works efficiently. Buy a refill kit with a can and gauge, and follow the directions carefully.

It won't your engine, but it's probably not great for the A/C clutch. If you don't have the ability to find the leak, I'd top it off just to make sure it works efficiently. Buy a refill kit with a can and gauge, and follow the directions carefully.

Just took a look at the accumulator, it looks fine. It doesn't have a blanket and still has its black finish. Could it be that something else is leaking? And what kind of refrigerant should I buy? What is the right amount that I should add? I've seen several kinds at the store, some with gauges, some without. I'll def. be getting the one with the gauge.

Could it be that something else is leaking?

If the system is low, refrigerant is getting out somehow!

And what kind of refrigerant should I buy?

R134a

What is the right amount that I should add?

I've got two answers to this one.

#1, "The Right Way"

Doing the repair and refill properly requires draining the system, measuring the amount of oil in components replaced, adding that much oil, evacuating the system with a vacuum pump to remove all of the air and moisture, and then filling it with the proper amount of refrigerant (in oz) based on the truck's specifications.

If the system is partially charged, it is almost impossible to know the exact amount of refrigerant in it.

#2, "I live in the swamp and NEED AC NOW!"

You can get an idea of the health of the compressor and refrigerant charge by measuring the low and high side pressures.

The refill kits with a gauge only measure low side pressure. This is "good enough" for you to tell if the system is low, and add some refrigerant to get it working again.

The gauge should tell you what the "normal" range of low side pressures is. If the system needs refrigerant, you'll see the pressure drop when the compressor kicks on - low side pressure will go below normal, causing the compressor to shut off, and then pressure will come back up.

You want to add just enough refrigerant to keep the low side pressure in the "normal" range while the compressor is running.

According to my manual, the total capacity for 97-2000 explorers is 22oz. If you add a refill can and still get the same symptoms, I would suspect another problem (obstruction in the system, clogged orifice tube) and take it to an A/C shop for diagnosis.

I posted a video just last week about this. My RPM rises and drops when I turn my A/C on. The air doesn't come out cold, just cool. Here's a video showing what my compressor does: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OISTsfUp7Ss

I also noticed a small hissing noise after I turned the engine off and went to close the hood, it sounded like air escaping from the left side of the engine. It wasn't loud and was gone after 20 seconds. Yes, my check engine light is on. I plan to have it checked this Thursday when I change my transmission oil and filter. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

The hissing sound on shutdown may be the compressor reed valves leaking, though I think that usually results in high suction pressure.
You need to know high and low side pressure before dumping freon in the system. Overcharge can kill the compressor too.

The Heating AC section here has some really good info in it.

I also forgot to mention that there's a strange smell that comes out when I turn the A/C on, it's gone in about 10 seconds though. Also my heater doesn't work.

Back