99 Explorer Sport Dome light problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Explorer Sport Dome light problem

shanes76

Reaction score
City, State
Zanesville, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport 4X4
on my 99 Explorer sport, when I open my door the dome lights come on, when I shut the door they dont go off even after waiting for 10 minutes or so. Would this be the relay for them since they come on when the door is opened? I have to turn my dimmer switch to the off postion to make them go out. I think the switch is good because it will dim the dash lights, turn the dome on and off like it should. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just bought this to replace my GMC Jimmy and so far I am very happy with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

on my 99 Explorer sport, when I open my door the dome lights come on, when I shut the door they dont go off even after waiting for 10 minutes or so. Would this be the relay for them since they come on when the door is opened? I have to turn my dimmer switch to the off postion to make them go out. I think the switch is good because it will dim the dash lights, turn the dome on and off like it should. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just bought this to replace my GMC Jimmy and so far I am very happy with it.

There is a delay built in for the interior lights, but 10 mins is too long. The relay is just an on/off switch equivalent, so it's probably OK. IIRC, the delay function is built into the GEM. PS, there is also a "battery saver" circuit, but I think it will let the lights run for 30 min or so before it cuts them off. Hopefully, someone else with access to a wiring diagram will chime in.

Spray the strike/lock area of the door with WD40. It happend on my Sable too...

Make sure the dash light/interior knight knob isn't rolled all the way up to the detent/lights on position.

I sprayed WD40 on them this morning and they still do it, the dimmer switch isnt all the way up either. If I take the dimmer off the off postion and start the vehicle then after a few seconds the light will go out, but if its not started then they stay on

Back