• Register Today It's free!

M5OD swap questions

limit_explore

Reaction score
City, State
Los Gatos, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Limited
so my tranny is going on on my limited so i figured perfect time todo a swap.

so i know i need:
Clutch slave cylinder
clutch master cylinder
throw out bearing
clutch disk
pressure plate
flywheel
tranny
manual tranny ecu
pedal assembly
shifter

anything else? could i get the parts out of an 89 bronco 2 xlt? its a 2.9 though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 2.9 Trans will work, Foxracin has one in his Explorer.

yeah. ive got that bookmarked. read it everyday.

..Personally, I like steering them to threads I find either very useful or informative and I believe it's a big part of sharing the information on this Forum.. ..;)

..Hopefully the OP's will take the time to read these informative threads and find their answers there...

...If not, they can usually ask that thread writer (since they are experienced in that exact application in question) a question in their thread in case something was missed and all future readers can benefit from it...:biggthump

..:shifty_ey ...I'm heading back under my rock before I get into trouble..

ok well thanks! im going to pick up a parts rig soon. so i can do my swap.

Need a new starter. Unless the b2 has a good one

wait. that worries me.. can anyone give more details about that?

Also make sure that your manual computer is 93 or 94 due to EGR being added in those years.

doe the comp need to be from a expolrer? or can it be from a ranger, or bronco from 93-94

It needs to be setup for the 4.0, so a ranger or explorer OBD1 computer can be used.

ok so if the b2 or ranger has a 4.0 itll work?

The b2 doesn't have egr, so it won't work.

Yeah, but BII's came with 2.9's unless it was swapped. EDIT: BII's no egr

huh. ok well ill stick to looking for manual explorers and rangers then. anything else? what about that bearing?

huh. ok well ill stick to looking for manual explorers and rangers then. anything else? what about that bearing?

I would contact someone that would know for sure, I have never heard of a manufacturer doing that and would be surprised if it were true (no offense intended). Start a thread in the engine forum asking for anyone that has rebuilt an auto tranny Exploder engine... call Jasper engines, call a Ford dealer, if your tranny is shot and you aren't driving your truck pull the tranny now and look for yourself. Jack up your engine and remove the oil pan.

Wood.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

About 5-6 years ago i was looking to rebuild the 4.0l in my Ranger. Every rebuild kit I saw or asked about was listed as 2 options "manual or auto trans". No one could tell me the difference and the prices were the same. I guess this was the difference.

But I can tell you I did a few auto to manual swaps in 4.0l trucks. One of them went atleast 150k miles without any bearing problems.

Back