Anyone know what is slip differential? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone know what is slip differential?

Reaction score
I am new driver. The explorer is in the year of 1998. My car is 4WD or AWD.
how do I know it is 4WD or AWD?

Now, I want to change the rear axle fluid. I was told, if the car has limited slip
differential, I need to add additive friction modifier before I add lubricant.
But I can not recognize what is slip differential, I do not know if my has limited slip differential.

Could anyone tell me if, explorer of 1998, 4WD or AWD, eddie bauer, has limited slip differential or not?

I am appreciated for your answer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

look at your door tag or the tag on the rear axle.. There is a code that indicates the gear ratio and if its a limited slip or not.

AWD doesn't have any lever that say 4x4 or 4x2 inside, it is all time four wheel drive.
As for if it is 4WD or AWD versurs just 2WD: if you look under the car you will see if you have 2 driveshafts - one in front, one in back.
My 2001 EB is AWD with limited slip. It has a tag on rear with the fluid specs (75W140 synthethic oil only). You should NOT replace that fluid (unless you submerged the axle in water completelly):
P1020343.png

AWD doesn't have any lever that say 4x4 or 4x2 inside, it is all time four wheel drive.
As for if it is 4WD or AWD versurs just 2WD: if you look under the car you will see if you have 2 driveshafts - one in front, one in back.
My 2001 EB is AWD with limited slip. It has a tag on rear with the fluid specs (75W140 synthethic oil only). You should NOT replace that fluid (unless you submerged the axle in water completelly):
P1020343.png

Thanks.
Unfortunately, I can not see any tag on the rear.

P1020343.png

Confusing....

Did Ford add limited slip differential after certain year ? or
Ford add it as a option when people buy a new car?

axle codes

Check the tag on the driver's door:

L - Limited Slip Differential
C - Conventional Differential

Code ... Ratio
41 ...... 3.27C
42 ...... 4.10C
43 ...... 3.08C
45 ...... 3.55C
46 ...... 3.73C
D1 ...... 3.27L
D2 ...... 4.10L
D4 ...... 3.73L
D5 ...... 3.55L

Check the tag on the driver's door:

L - Limited Slip Differential
C - Conventional Differential

Code ... Ratio
41 ...... 3.27C
42 ...... 4.10C
43 ...... 3.08C
45 ...... 3.55C
46 ...... 3.73C
D1 ...... 3.27L
D2 ...... 4.10L
D4 ...... 3.73L
D5 ...... 3.55L

Thanks, you are amazing, BTW,

where can I find the whole information on the door label?

P1020343.png

trying, unfortunately I can not find anything like this,

May312011.png

on my label, I see D2 under the AXLE, so, it means, this is slip differential, right?

I will add modifier to it.

dsc00058.gif

on my label, I see D2 under the AXLE, so, it means, this is slip differential, right?

I will add modifier to it.

You are correct.. Add the modifier..

~Mark

It says so in your manual too:
Vehicles equipped with 4.0L SOHC V6 engines and 3.73:1 or 4.10:1 rear
axle ratios or with a 5.0L V8 engine require synthetic rear axle lubricant.
Rear axles containing synthetic lubricant are lubricated for life. These
lubricants are not to be checked or changed unless a leak is suspected or
service is required. The axle lubricant should be changed any time the
axle has been submerged in water.
Add 118 ml (4 oz.) of Additive Friction Modifier C8AZ-19B546-A or
equivalent meeting Ford specification EST-M2C118–A for complete refill
of Traction-Lok axles.

Back