Coolant leak on 2002 Explorer XLT V6 4.0L SOHC | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant leak on 2002 Explorer XLT V6 4.0L SOHC

Interesting. When I started up the Explorer after work today the "Service Engine Soon" light turned itself off. Cool.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did this repair last weekend......B4 I saw this thread. Long story short: I'll be replacing the lower housing this weekend, along with another lower seal, oring, and another bypass hose, just to be on the safe side.
Thanks for the pics, as after I replaced everything but the lower housing, I soon discovered the seeping along the backside where the 2 piece lower housing is "glued" into one piece.

2005 coolant leak

I just got my parts in. I am very glad that someone introduced me to RockAuto, best deal on parts hands down.

Now to my question.

I got my upper and lower housing,new thermostat and thermostat seal, but is there another seal that I need? I thought I read in a post there is a seal where the lower housing connects to the engine block.

Also, when I replace the coolant, do I just fill up the overflow tank, since there is no access to the radiator? Just got this Mountaineer, to replace my 98' still trying to figure out everything on it.

Thanks!

yeah, its for the housing to intake seal. Its definitely needed. Its not expensive...like $4 bucks at most. I bought mine from the parts counter at Ford. Its not like the o-ring that goes to your thermostat housing. it is like 1/4 inch wide (cant remember off the top of my head) and like an inch circumference. I would suggest a new coolant temperature sensor while your at it. those should come with the o-ring already (mine from autozone did)

yeah, its for the housing to intake seal. Its definitely needed. Its not expensive...like $4 bucks at most. I bought mine from the parts counter at Ford. Its not like the o-ring that goes to your thermostat housing. it is like 1/4 inch wide (cant remember off the top of my head) and like an inch circumference.
That IS an interesting seal, as it looks like a 1/4" wide X 1.5" dia rubberband. The interesting part is that it slips easely up into that groove in the bottom of the lower housing, but the groove is bigger than the "rubberband seal". When you look at it, it looks like it would not seal very good.

Couple of notes about replacing the lower housing with "Rockauto.com" parts.
1. The Dayco #72025 bypass hose will fit, but it's about a half inch to long, and needs to be shortened up on both ends, compared to the "Motorcraft" bypass hose.
2. The STANT #25271 thermostat o-ring at $0.61 was a good fit/replacement.
3. The hole in the new Motorcraft #RH 148 lower housing for the temp sender is slightly larger than the origional on my '02 Explorer. Since I didn't have a new o-ring or a new sender switch, it took 5 rounds of teflon tape to take up the slack and not leak. I'll switch it out next week.

I did this work over the weekend and it took me about 2hrs to get it all done. I do have one question. In the post #12 above, is that the heater hose in that picture? I had so much trouble disconnecting it, I ended up just cutting it off.

I went to Autozone with hose in hand, and they dont have a listing for a heater hose in their system, so they gave me one that matched up as close as possible, and it has a slightly larger inner diameter. I cut it to size and clamped it down as tight as I could.

I dont see it leaking, but dont want trouble down the road. Should I get the exact fit, and where would I get it?

Looking at the photos...I see what looks to be positions for the coolant
temperature sensor and the temperature gauge sending unit. Am I
correct in assuming the temperature gauge sending unit is the one
still hooked up in the photos and the coolant temperature sensor location
is the blank hole to the right of it?

If I am correct in which unit is which...can you tell me how the coolant
temperature sensor comes out? Looks like there may just be a clip that
you pull and the sensor is sealed by an o ring...or is it a screwed in
pipe thread ? If I go to change it...will I get coolant coming out of it
or is the sensor mounted so it's just in a pocket where there is no
coolant?

Plan on changing it in the near future as have had a couple of cold start
incidents where the engine didn't run right until it came up to temperature.
and would like to know what to expect when I change it.

Thanks for any info
George

The little hole looking thing to the right of the temperature sensor is not really a hole. Dont ask me why Ford put it there (probably for the same reason they made the housing plastic). The temperature sensor I believe is also what sends the readings to your gauge.
As far as yanking out the temperature sensor goes, dont worry about getting it out, just ditch it and pop a new one into the new housing. They are fairly cheap and come with the o-ring. I believe it screws off though. I had someone do it while they flushed my coolant (they offered to change the housings for free so y not lol).
Changing it doesnt seem to have any noticeable difference in performance or starting or anything. I just dont smell heated coolant anymore and it dont leak lol.

This helped me very much. I was fortunate that I did not have to take anything off, just the hoses off of the thermostat housing. And since it had been leaking I did not have to worry about draining the radiator. No leakage after installing the new housing. Still have a slight smell so hopefully there is no other leak else where. I have been checking the fluid level and so far so good.

Thanks all

Good to know that this thread has helped. I can't help but wonder how much it would have cost at the dealer to get this done.

I think that I have the same problem. I have a 2003 Explorer 4.0L. Mine popped on the way home today when I went to pass a slow car. It was spewing steam pretty good.

Truckleak.jpg

It blew antifreeze all over the coil pack and and the intake so steam was coming from everywhere when I got to the side of the road. The back of the housing where the top and the lower housing meet have two small pieces that look like they blew out. You can see them on the picture. I think that I have the same problem as this thread. What do you guys think?

6 bolts, 3 hose clamps later and my lower thermostat housing was replaced. That was a real easy repair. This thread was a lifesaver! Total time less than 1 hour and less than $100 in parts.

after taking my vehicle to a auto repair shop, i was told my explorer has the same thermostat issue and i will be replacing it myself following all the detailed information I received from this thread. (the shop wanted $700.00 for the repair.:thumbdwn:) my question is the gunk that is spewing from in between the cracks on the housing is also running down the top of my waterpump. should i assume i will need to change my waterpump also? and i thought i read that when filling the coolant once the job is completed i need to "leave the reservoir cap off" till the car warms up for the first time after repair is that accurate? any help would be greatly appreciated.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
after taking my vehicle to a auto repair shop, i was told my explorer has the same thermostat issue and i will be replacing it myself following all the detailed information I received from this thread. (the shop wanted $700.00 for the repair.:thumbdwn:) my question is the gunk that is spewing from in between the cracks on the housing is also running down the top of my waterpump. should i assume i will need to change my waterpump also? and i thought i read that when filling the coolant once the job is completed i need to "leave the reservoir cap off" till the car warms up for the first time after repair is that accurate? any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you have a 2003 Explorer with the 4.0L V-6 SOHC engine(same engine as my 2005 Explorer), then read the step by step instructions in the post link I provided below to change out your thermostat, gasket seal and coolant change. This is my post and I tried to give as much information to do this type of repair as I could. I did this same repair on my vehicle 2 weeks ago or so. Also, you do not need to change your water pump simply because coolant has leaked out of your thermostat housing and dripped down on to it. Only change the water pump if it is leaking fluid itself through the weep hole or if the water pump bearings are shot and squealing badly and leaking. You made need to change your serpentine drive belt if it has become saturated in coolant from your current leak from the thermostat housing. Coolant on the belt can cause it to squeal just like the sound that bad pulley bearings make. If you have any other questions of me on this repair, just ask, glad to help you if I can.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=317658

thanks "EXPROBLEMS" I will use the guide found on this thread for my repairs, the detailed process is the only reason i will attempt this repair myself.thanks. the reason i was wondering about the waterpump is because my waterpump is located on the driverside of the vehicle and "shouldn't" be affected by the thermostat housing leaking because of the placement of the thermostat housing "passenger-center" of the engine. but i guess coolant would splash everywhere so i guess the waterpump is more than likely fine.

anyway any advice on leaving the reservoir cap off once i fill the coolant after the repairs? is that the proper fill procedure?

"EXPROBLEMS" after re reading the link u sent i know understand the procedure. I appreciate all the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When the thermostadt housing fails the coolant runs down the front of the engine. It looks like a failed water pump. I would only replace the water pump if it leaks after you have performed the thermostadt housing repair. It was one of the easiest repairs to do. Good luck!

Back