• Register Today It's free!

Increasing gas mileage...

Liska

Reaction score
City, State
Western massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Out of curiosity- has anyone done anything to their explorers to help increase the gas mileage or noticed anything that helped increase their mileage? I currently have a 2003 and i've been keeping track with the mileage meter, for both highway and city driving, i'm getting roughly 21-22 miles per gallon.

I can most certainly live with that #, but curious to know if there's anything I can do increase it? My car is 99.9% stock, i've changed the alternator, battery and o2 sensors but that's it. 117,100 miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

21-22 MPG I would love to see that 15-16 is the best I can manage.

Search around, there are dozens of threads...

21-22 MPG I would love to see that 15-16 is the best I can manage.

the sweet spot for my car is between 40 & 45- if i stay between those speeds during my drives to and from work (mostly country roads), i get better gas mileage :)

Search around, there are dozens of threads...

Do you have links to any good ones? I did a search, but it a lot of them are talking about using brand-gas and brand oilI already do that...

AlDive's 'mileage monster' thread stickied at the top of THIS forum is the only one to really go through.

AlDive's 'mileage monster' thread stickied at the top of THIS forum is the only one to really go through.

Thank you :D I kept seeing references to it and couldn't find it. This is what i get for browsing at work.

besides the AlDives thread some quick tips. . .if you haven't thought of it. .
Tire pressure make sure they are all topped off.
Roof Cross Bars, if you have them take them off till you need them.

Lose the lead foot. . .if you got one like mine.

But with 21-22mpg, i'd love to see that, got it once with only 12k on the clock going downhill, slight tail wind, cruise set to 60mph (in canada), at about -5F below. . .once. Since then about 15-17mpg, your doing good.

I would like to increase my mileage TO 21-22 mpg! Go you Liska!

Wow, now I feel kinda bad... I must have gotten a freak stock explorer or something with better gas mileage! :D

Thanks everyone for the advice and pointers towards threads, etc. I can't wait to take a look at them when I get home!

>>>>>>>>>>>
Out of curiosity- has anyone done anything to their explorers to help increase the gas mileage or noticed anything that helped increase their mileage? I currently have a 2003 and i've been keeping track with the mileage meter, for both highway and city driving, i'm getting roughly 21-22 miles per gallon.>>>>>>>>>>>

21-22 MPG on this planet, driving a Ford Explorer? Thats outstanding! When I bought my Explorer back in Jan 2011, it had 82,500 miles on it. It has the 4.0L V-6 engine. I noticed I was getting only 10.4 to 11.2 MPG in the city with the same parts on the vehicle I purchased it with, age unknown, it was mid winter here. Since then to increase gas mileage I have replaced or cleaned the following parts, new spark plugs (twice), wires, new Fuel Filter, new K & N air filter, MAF sensor cleaned(twice), new Full Synthetic gear oil rear diff, oil and filter (Fram) change (Castrol High Mileage Partial Synthetic oil), 4 new tires as of Jan. (tire pressure ok), Gas tank and Fuel Injector Cleaning done at a Ford Dealership, rebuilt tranny installed and a new transfer case chain and now I get approx 15.8 MPG on the Thruway at 70 MPH and 12.0 to 13.5 MPG city going 30-40-MPH. My mileage meter maybe off in it's calculations of late, since I got 13.5 MPG in the city recently after a fill up, but the meter registered only an 11.8 MPG. I found this out by the number of gallons of gas it took to top off the tank again versus the miles I drove. I also reset my trip odometer every time I fill up so I know the exact miles driven between fill ups. I do top off my tank every few days or so, having only used 5 gallons of gas or less. I don't know if this can any effect on the function of the mileage meter topping the tank off so often.
On your vehicle, does the number of miles driven after a fill up, add up to the number of gallons of gas it takes to top it off again? Are you still seeing 21-22 MPG actual average like the mileage meter says? Your mileage is amazing since most people I know with Ford Explorers say they only get 14-17 MPG.

>>>>>>>>>>>
Out of curiosity- has anyone done anything to their explorers to help increase the gas mileage or noticed anything that helped increase their mileage? I currently have a 2003 and i've been keeping track with the mileage meter, for both highway and city driving, i'm getting roughly 21-22 miles per gallon.>>>>>>>>>>>

21-22 MPG on this planet, driving a Ford Explorer? Thats outstanding! When I bought my Explorer back in Jan 2011, it had 82,500 miles on it. It has the 4.0L V-6 engine. I noticed I was getting only 10.4 to 11.2 MPG in the city with the same parts on the vehicle I purchased it with, age unknown, it was mid winter here. Since then to increase gas mileage I have replaced or cleaned the following parts, new spark plugs (twice), wires, new Fuel Filter, new K & N air filter, MAF sensor cleaned(twice), new Full Synthetic gear oil rear diff, oil and filter (Fram) change (Castrol High Mileage Partial Synthetic oil), 4 new tires as of Jan. (tire pressure ok), Gas tank and Fuel Injector Cleaning done at a Ford Dealership, rebuilt tranny installed and a new transfer case chain and now I get approx 15.8 MPG on the Thruway at 70 MPH and 12.0 to 13.5 MPG city going 30-40-MPH. My mileage meter maybe off in it's calculations of late, since I got 13.5 MPG in the city recently after a fill up, but the meter registered only an 11.8 MPG. I found this out by the number of gallons of gas it took to top off the tank again versus the miles I drove. I also reset my trip odometer every time I fill up so I know the exact miles driven between fill ups. I do top off my tank every few days or so, having only used 5 gallons of gas or less. I don't know if this can any effect on the function of the mileage meter topping the tank off so often.
On your vehicle, does the number of miles driven after a fill up, add up to the number of gallons of gas it takes to top it off again? Are you still seeing 21-22 MPG actual average like the mileage meter says? Your mileage is amazing since most people I know with Ford Explorers say they only get 14-17 MPG.

For a while, actually, I was getting 14 miles per gallon- but at the time i didn't have to pay for my gas, so i honestly didn't really care and didn't pay attention. Times are tight and I started watching my mileage and my driving more; 3 weeks ago (how long i've been tracking it) I finally decided to reset my mileage meter after each fill up; i suspected i got suckier gas mileage from my local stop and shop station, vs my shell station up the street. I was right- I do! Gas from the shell station lasts longer, than the one that's 2 minutes from my house :( I'm taking the total number of miles I drive, and dividing it by the number of gallons I put in when I fill up for a rough estimate. I always fill up around the same amount unless i'm going somewhere. I'm also not doing a lot of continual driving. On weekdays, it's drive home, drive to work, lunch, then back home again. On weekends, I stick a few extra destinations in there for my photography. Perhaps i'm calculating wrong?

I drive on country roads, not a lot of lights, and I found the sweet spots for my particular car, between 40 and 45 on the regular streets, and around 64 on the highway. If i stay around there, my gas mileage gets stretched a ton and i get the higher MPG. I literally see the gas gauge raise. If i run around like a speed maniac and do lots of starting and stopping, then it drops. Lowest i've been since i've started tracking is 18. I hit my half tank point today at 190miles.

Granted, there's something wonky going on with my o2 sensors that just cropped up again today, so it ate a ton of gas that would have otherwise made me through the weekend. Gotta get that fixed.

For me, as long as my tank lasts 7 days without a fill up, i'm okay. I don't know why my car is different than all the others; i haven't really done anything replacing to it, I just end up spoiling my car, I suppose, because he's (my ex) is VERY clear as to what brands it likes, and what brands it doesn't.

>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>For a while, actually, I was getting 14 miles per gallon- but at the time i didn't have to pay for my gas, so i honestly didn't really care and didn't pay attention. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You didn't have to pay for your gas? I want that kind of hook up! I curse out loud every time I pick up a fuel pump handle at a gas station at the way we are getting ripped off on the price of gas.

>>>>>>>> i got suckier gas mileage from my local stop and shop station, vs my shell station up the street. I was right- I do! Gas from the shell station lasts longer, than the one that's 2 minutes from my house>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I buy my gas from either a Sunoco or Mobil station and sometimes from the lowest price place which is a small chain of car wash/gas stations in my area. I haven't really checked to see the difference in mileage from one station to the other. The car wash place gets their gas from a Canadian supplier. The other stations are big name companies, should have high quality gas. They are usually 5-9 cents a gallon cheaper than other places and give an additional discount if you get a car wash there. Mobil is the cut throat station around here, highest prices. If I'm not mistaken, "Shell Oil" is a Canadian company, big company at that.

>>>>>>>>>> :( I'm taking the total number of miles I drive, and dividing it by the number of gallons I put in when I fill up for a rough estimate. I always fill up around the same amount unless i'm going somewhere. I'm also not doing a lot of continual driving. On weekdays, it's drive home, drive to work, lunch, then back home again. On weekends, I stick a few extra destinations in there for my photography. Perhaps i'm calculating wrong?>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I only drive approx 5,000-6,000 miles per year since I retired a while back, most of it is city driving with a lot of stop and go traffic lights. Most of my weekly driving is back and forth to the gym 6 days a week, about a 5 mile round trip. Could be why my gas mileage sucks. I've done most everything to the truck to get better gas mileage. This Explorer is costing me about 40% more in gas than my last vehicle, a Jeep Grand Cherokee that was about 700 lbs lighter than this truck and it had 60,000 more miles on it. Both 6 cylinders.

>>>>>>>>I drive on country roads, not a lot of lights,>>>>>>>>>

That helps the gas mileage for sure. Idling and stop n go driving like I do definately kills gas mileage, especially in cold and snowy winters we have here. I waste a lot of fuel just warming up the truck in winter.

>>>>>>>. I hit my half tank point today at 190miles.>>>>>>>

I don't get any where near that at half tank.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Granted, there's something wonky going on with my o2 sensors that just cropped up again today, so it ate a ton of gas that would have otherwise made me through the weekend. Gotta get that fixed.>>>>>>>>

Are they setting off any error codes? I think they make certain fuel additives that are suppose to help cleanup O2 sensors, not sure what brands they are.

>>>>>>>>>For me, as long as my tank lasts 7 days without a fill up,>>>>>>>

Even with your great gas mileage that is still approx $80 a week or $320 per month on fuel. Thats a car payment in itself. I spend about $150 a month on fuel, too much as far as I'm concerned for what I drive. An older guy at the gym I belong to, drives one of those "Smart cars", it looks like a small phone booth on wheels. I think I could flip it over on its roof all by myself, it's that small. Not even sure what it runs on, electric or gas.

>>>>>>>>>>> I just end up spoiling my car, I suppose, because he's (my ex) is VERY clear as to what brands it likes, and what brands it doesn't.
>>>>>>>>>>

I call my "Ex" an "it', and it better quit costing me money! I'm starting to think it's my boat and not my truck.

>>>>>>>>>>

I call my "Ex" an "it', and it better quit costing me money! I'm starting to think it's my boat and not my truck.

I have a baby explorer... one tank of gas for me is about $38, if it was $80 to fill up, i wouldn't be driving it! 16 gallon tank. Also do you have any stop and shops there? They have gas points on their food card that you earn when buying groceries, and the local shell stations now accept their gas points-- so 100 points = 10 cents a gallon off the gas. Do you maybe have a cumberland farms there? That's another brand my car likes.

Re: not having to pay for my gas, my mom was trying to bribe me into paying into a work 401(k). So we traded a certain amount of money for gas, that I take out of my check and put into my 401k. So The last two weeks of each month, i pay for my own gas, the beginning, mom does, so I can swipe her shell card- that's how i ended up noticing the mileage difference. Weird arrangement, but it works and is a HUGE help.

codes for the car is p0171 and p0174

I named mine mini me jr, my first ex was mini me, because i'm a dork :)

>>>>>>>I have a baby explorer... one tank of gas for me is about $38,<<<<<<<<<<

A baby Explorer would be the 2 door Explorer Sport model? Is your Ex a 2 or 4 wheel drive model? This explains why you get better gas mileage. My Ex is the 4 door XLT, 3rd row seating model. Weighs around 4400 lbs.

>>>>>>> if it was $80 to fill up, i wouldn't be driving it!>>>>

My Ex would cost $80-ish to fill from empty, but I don't let it get close to empty. I think it's a 20 or 22 gallon tank. At 3/4 tank left I top it off again.

>>>>>>>>>Also do you have any stop and shops there? They have gas points on their food card that you earn when buying groceries, and the local shell stations now accept their gas points-- so 100 points = 10 cents a gallon off the gas. >>>>>>>>>>>

Yes, we have a Supermarket chain called "Tops Markets" that have their own gas stations at their store locations and they give gas points for groceries bought there. You have to spend over $100 on groceries in a 3 month period to start building up gas points. You then get a discount on the price per gallon of gas. I don't shop their often enough. Their prices are high compared to other Supermarkets.

>>>>>>>>Do you maybe have a cumberland farms there? That's another brand my car likes. >>>>>>>>>

No, not any Cumberland farms stores.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Re: not having to pay for my gas, my mom was trying to bribe me into paying into a work 401(k). So we traded a certain amount of money for gas, that I take out of my check and put into my 401k. So The last two weeks of each month, i pay for my own gas, the beginning, mom does, so I can swipe her shell card- that's how i ended up noticing the mileage difference. Weird arrangement, but it works and is a HUGE help.>>>>>>>>>

Nice mom! I didn't get any breaks from my parents when I started driving other than to use my fathers car every now and then in my first year of driving. In my second year, I bought my first car (1974 Ford LTD, lasted 3 months, I beat it to hell) with $900 I saved up from my crappy supermarket job and I paid for my own insurance from day one on as well. My father wouldn't let me get my license at 16, made me wait until I was 17. I think he knew I was a risk :) I was actually driving a fork lift before I ever drove a car. My 2nd car was a beautiful (Boat) 1973 Olds 98 with a 455 ci Rocket motor, power everything. I was 18 and cruising around the neighborhood in style! I loved that car.

>>>>>>>>>codes for the car is p0171 and p0174>>>>>>>>>

These codes are for bad O2 sensors?

>>>>>>>I have a baby explorer... one tank of gas for me is about $38,<<<<<<<<<<

A baby Explorer would be the 2 door Explorer Sport model? Is your Ex a 2 or 4 wheel drive model? This explains why you get better gas mileage. My Ex is the 4 door XLT, 3rd row seating model. Weighs around 4400 lbs.

>>>>>>> if it was $80 to fill up, i wouldn't be driving it!>>>>

My Ex would cost $80-ish to fill from empty, but I don't let it get close to empty. I think it's a 20 or 22 gallon tank. At 3/4 tank left I top it off again.

>>>>>>>>>Also do you have any stop and shops there? They have gas points on their food card that you earn when buying groceries, and the local shell stations now accept their gas points-- so 100 points = 10 cents a gallon off the gas. >>>>>>>>>>>

Yes, we have a Supermarket chain called "Tops Markets" that have their own gas stations at their store locations and they give gas points for groceries bought there. You have to spend over $100 on groceries in a 3 month period to start building up gas points. You then get a discount on the price per gallon of gas. I don't shop their often enough. Their prices are high compared to other Supermarkets.

>>>>>>>>Do you maybe have a cumberland farms there? That's another brand my car likes. >>>>>>>>>

No, not any Cumberland farms stores.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Re: not having to pay for my gas, my mom was trying to bribe me into paying into a work 401(k). So we traded a certain amount of money for gas, that I take out of my check and put into my 401k. So The last two weeks of each month, i pay for my own gas, the beginning, mom does, so I can swipe her shell card- that's how i ended up noticing the mileage difference. Weird arrangement, but it works and is a HUGE help.>>>>>>>>>

Nice mom! I didn't get any breaks from my parents when I started driving other than to use my fathers car every now and then in my first year of driving. In my second year, I bought my first car (1974 Ford LTD, lasted 3 months, I beat it to hell) with $900 I saved up from my crappy supermarket job and I paid for my own insurance from day one on as well. My father wouldn't let me get my license at 16, made me wait until I was 17. I think he knew I was a risk :) I was actually driving a fork lift before I ever drove a car. My 2nd car was a beautiful (Boat) 1973 Olds 98 with a 455 ci Rocket motor, power everything. I was 18 and cruising around the neighborhood in style! I loved that car.

>>>>>>>>>codes for the car is p0171 and p0174>>>>>>>>>

These codes are for bad O2 sensors?

Yup-2 door explorer sport. I'm sad they aren't making them anymore ;( I keep it in 2WD most times, but i can switch it into 4WD for snow. Love!

We did the 02 sensors on the car a week ago... the light keeps popping back on. Going to take it back to the shop I got it done at and see what's going on, and if they can re-fix it.

My first car was a white Olds. Loved that thing- until it wouldn't start for me in the winter! Ugh! That's when I got updated to my first explorer, and fell in love with the sports! a 4 door explorer is too big for me.

Here he has after I just drove it through the 2 feet of snow that piled up in my driveway!

Car-2.jpg

wow,21-22 on an explorer ! How did you get that number? I usually get 15 on my mountaineer AWD V8 (60/40 city/highway) That's not using the trip computer (it will report higher if you drive mostly highway), but by computing the miles driven after fillup.

Since I started running Royal Purple in the engine, my 2005 X is getting into the 20 MPG range.
Can't wait to switch everything else over to RP!

>>>>>>>>>>>
Yup-2 door explorer sport. I'm sad they aren't making them anymore ;( I keep it in 2WD most times, but i can switch it into 4WD for snow. Love!>>>>>>>>>

I see a lot of 2 and 4 door Explorers on the road everyday where I live in the Buffalo area. Ford must have sold a ton of them, too bad they have so many dumb things going wrong with these newer models.

>>>>>>>>>We did the 02 sensors on the car a week ago... the light keeps popping back on. Going to take it back to the shop I got it done at and see what's going on, and if they can re-fix it.>>>>>>>>>>>>

I know from reading in here you can re-set the computer by disconnecting the negative battery cable and leave it unhooked for a short while before reconnecting it, then drive it and it should reset itself by recognizing that the problem that was throwing the error codes was repaired. Find out if the repair shop that installed the new O2 sensors ever disconnected the negative battery terminal during or after the repair. They may not have since it is still throwing the O2 sensor codes.

>>>>>>>>>a 4 door explorer is too big for me.
Here he has after I just drove it through the 2 feet of snow that piled up in my driveway!>>>>>>>>>

Thats a decent amount of snow. Back in Dec 2001, we had 7 feet of snow fall over a 2 day period and my 1992 Ford Explorer was completely buried under snow. It was completely buried twice over those 2 days. I took pictures of it, but don't have them on any computer. All you see if a mound of snow in the shape of the truck. Now that model Explorer that I had, didn't have any of the types of problems I have with this 2005 Explorer. It ran great, towed a large boat back and forth to the Buffalo harbor and in out of the boat launch, which is a steep incline and no problems. Plowed thru snow as well. The only reason I got rid of it was because the body eventually rusted out and the tranny had issues after the 150,000 mile mark. Wasn't worth putting money into it at that time.

>>>>>>>
Since I started running Royal Purple in the engine, my 2005 X is getting into the 20 MPG range.
Can't wait to switch everything else over to RP!
>>>>>>>>>>

Underdog,

How does using Royal Purple engine oil increase your gas mileage? Just curious here, not being a smart a$$. I've seen the stuff on TV commercials or advertisements. Is it a synthetic blend of oil? What other products of theirs can you use in your vehicle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Underdog,

How does using Royal Purple engine oil increase your gas mileage? Just curious here, not being a smart a$$. I've seen the stuff on TV commercials or advertisements. Is it a synthetic blend of oil? What other products of theirs can you use in your vehicle?

No offense taken. I found it hard to believe as well and I was looking at it!

It's a full synthetic oil. I first heard about it watching GEARZ. Evidently it lubricates better reducing friction and heat. They say it also increases compression which helps increase HP & MPG. I know, it sounds crazy but again, I'm basing it on what I see through the Message Center and my gauges. The engine also runs smoother and my temp gauge is running cooler as well.
My neighbor who doesn't know I switched oils recently commented on how smooth the engine sounds.

They say you can also run it up to 12000 miles between changes.

They've been around for years and they also make gear oil, transmission fluid and a coolant additive. Here's a couple of links that may explain it better.

http://youtu.be/kqvhRi7-iMA

http://youtu.be/floUZGP6NZM

Back