• Register Today It's free!

Torsion Twist Question

dgonz

Reaction score
City, State
Porterville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLS
Hey guys, so this weekend I threw on the new shackles, and when I went to do the TT following this project from mysporttrac

http://www.mysporttrac.com/mysporttrac/projects/MikeEgan/Torsion.html

Anyway I jacked the truck up and sprayed some WD-40 on the torsion bolts just to be safe. But there was no way in hell those things were going anywhere, I almost broke my damn socket trying to tighten those things. Is this normal?

I'm supposed to have my new tires/alignment done today, I think I'll just ask the shop there to do it that way I don't have to worry about it but I thought I'd ask here and see what you guys thought.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive done a tt on two of my explorers and a few others, with a little pb blaster and a short breaker bar they went up no problem. Are you turning the socket the right way? is it possible the truck has already had a torsion to level out the front and the bolts are bottomed out? Maybe you could try loosening them and then tightening them back up.

Ive done a tt on two of my explorers and a few others, with a little pb blaster and a short breaker bar they went up no problem. Are you turning the socket the right way? is it possible the truck has already had a torsion to level out the front and the bolts are bottomed out? Maybe you could try loosening them and then tightening them back up.[/QUOTE

That's a good idea I'll try that. I'm almost positive I was turning them correctly but I'll never rule out the possibility of a brain fart. My biggest worry is that my bigger tires won't fit on there without the TT done. 31x10.50x15 so I'm hoping the tire shop will just do it for me today and I won't have to worry about it again.

might aswell have them do it,i did mine and the shop had to adjust it a little bit anyways to do the alignment as it was perfect when I did it and one side was up a bit more.

Those tires will fit under there without a TT. Same size as 265/70/16, like I had on mine at stock height and the with SL, TT. The bolts can be a ***** to crank up, sometimes you have to spray the whole torsion key down as well as the bolt so it'll move for you. Just tell them you want the truck to be level or no more the 2" and they usually cherage like $50 to do that. You might need longer bolts like tgreene92 says, you can buy them from Todd Z from Zabteck (ST site) for $15. I have a set but haven't gotten around to installing them yet.

picture.php

picture.php

Yeah I just dropped it off at the tire place about an hour ago. I should be looking at a different truck when I come back. I'll have the TT/Shackles on now, 31x10.50x15 tires (coming from 235/70/16) and my Cragar soft 8's put on as well so I'm hoping it turns out well. Pictures should be up tonight!

WD-40 isn't penetrating oil. Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, or my personal favorite, a home-brew 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF that I read about on the Internets. It works, just mix it in small batches when you need it.

Thanks that's going on the shopping list so I can keep that in the tool box

Thanks that's going on the shopping list so I can keep that in the tool box
It is best to get two cans of Liquid Wrench, one regular and one metric.

It is best to get two cans of Liquid Wrench, one regular and one metric.

hahaha, I read this this morning still half asleep and really sat there and thought about this for a good 10 or 15 seconds. Nicely done!

Back