MFT reboot option (w/out fuse 29 or battery) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MFT reboot option (w/out fuse 29 or battery)

jrmexplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Ok,
So over at the syncmyride.com forums someone posted that you can use the sirius channel voice command update to force a reboot of MFT. All you have to do is plug in the USB stick with the update into MFT and it reboots the software. If you have the sirius channel voice command update already installed, it skips that step and just reboots.

Supposedly it was ok'd by a Ford tech as a valid way of rebooting.

Be advised, I have not tried it yet, and it's third hand information, but I thought I would share. Use at your own risk.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would still like a restart/reboot/reset button!

I would still like a restart/reboot/reset button!

Had problems with NAV and Rebecca (Ford IVTteam) said to do a Master Reset.
Here ar her instructions.

"For this, a Master Reset should do the trick. Unfortunately, it will also erase everything you have already added and saved. Lost all favorites and settings for MFT but it's working good now".

MENU > SETTINGS > SYSTEM > MASTER RESET

"For this, a Master Reset should do the trick. Unfortunately, it will also erase everything you have already added and saved. Lost all favorites and settings for MFT but it's working good now".

Yup, that's one way as well. I'm guessing with this reboot method though you probably won't lose your settings.

I was hoping a big red "Easy Reset" (a'la Staples ad) hardware button. If the screen is blank, or the MFT is frozen ... how do you get to the reset menu???

:-D

This does not reboot. It only sets all defaults to factory settings. I just did it tonight. NO REBOOT. Did not clear up my Travel Link issue.

This does not reboot. It only sets all defaults to factory settings. I just did it tonight. NO REBOOT. Did not clear up my Travel Link issue.

It can reboot it. It doesn't always do it though. I think you may have to have the car in park for it to reboot. Try it again.

It can reboot it. It doesn't always do it though. I think you may have to have the car in park for it to reboot. Try it again.

You are correct. With the vehicle off and parked it did reboot. Thanks! We will see if the travel link can get it's act together. Reloading and resetting pictures, settings, and Quick Dials takes at least 15 - 20 minutes.

You are correct. With the vehicle off and parked it did reboot. Thanks! We will see if the travel link can get it's act together. Reloading and resetting pictures, settings, and Quick Dials takes at least 15 - 20 minutes.
Travel Link is now working.

So this USB stick, do you make it by visiting syncmyride.com?

So this USB stick, do you make it by visiting syncmyride.com?

Yes. Go to the community forum section and download the Sirius Voice Command update file and follow the directions. It installs an update onto a USB drive which updates the voice commands on Sync for the new Sirius channel lineup. Once this update is installed it reboots Sync. Subsequent insertions of the USB stick supposedly will skip the update and just reboot sync. Supposedly.

I have not tried it yet. I also should note it's unclear if it works for 2.11

Hey, Everyone!

I tested this work around. It did not reboot our module every single time. It did the first time, I then did an ignition cycle and tried again and it did not reboot. I then did the equivalent to a fuse pull and plugged my USB flash drive back in and it rebooted the system. Mind you, my module is not in a vehicle so it could be different if someone was to try it in their vehicle. Please also be advised that my recommendation is still a fuse pull if it's absolutely necessary and if you are physically able to do a fuse pull.

Rebecca

Updated to V2.11 on 8/6/11. I also had a problem with travel link weather map and fuel prices. Called Sirius for assistance with no results.

Then tried the Master reset again with no results.

Then pulled fuse 29. This resulted in a black screen for a short period of time and then started rebooting. Problem with weather map and fuel prices fixed for now. Was surprised I did not loose my phone pairing or phone book, Sirius or AM/FM presets. Guess these are stored on the internal drive and is reloaded during a reboot.

Question is what caused the lock up of the travel link data? It appeared to be old data and my weather map had no date for when it was last updated.

Thanks a Bunch!

Thanks to all you folks I was able to do the Master Reset and take care of my issues re Blue Tooth pairing not working with my iPhone 4. Great!

Bill

I then did the equivalent to a fuse pull and plugged my USB flash drive back in and it rebooted the system.

OK, this begs the question....can we somehow do the "equivalent" of a fuse pull without laying upside down with blood rushing to our heads? :D

The fuse pull is too hard for me, i had to pull the battery cable only twice, since then the MFT works it's self out, hard to explain. The question still seats, what causes or executes the maint. Update?

Hi, Everyone!

I have been seeing a lot of users asking for a different method to reboot their system instead of a fuse pull. I have since checked into the above solution and was told that this will work for you as a reboot.

Here is the link to the SIRIUS Voice Command Update File:

http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?sr=y&msg=3904.1&nav=messages&webtag=fordsyncmb

Please follow the instructions listed on the forum thread and the Read Me file. Let me know if you have any questions!

Rebecca

That is awesome....thank you Rebecca and thank you jrmexplorer for finding this!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A fuse pull? Well I have done a battery pull, one time leaving it off for over 8 hours.
Same thing a DEAD MFT. Sometimes after a battery pull, I get about 15 seconds of AM radio but if I hit a button before it shuts down it immediately shuts down. This thing is GARBAGE. If I wanted to send my vehicle to the dealer and sit there for hours I would not have bought an EX that cost 46k.

Back