Fan/blower/ac working only intermittently 1994 xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fan/blower/ac working only intermittently 1994 xlt

Vander

Reaction score
City, State
Quito Ecuador
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
When the fan and Ac works it works perfectly at all settings, then for unknown reasons the fan will not turn on, nothing will work at all. I pulled out a few different fuses and couldnt see any damaged, replaced them and it started to work perfectly, then went out today and everything including the fan stopped working again, will not turn. I just bought the car a few days ago and it wasnt working, the owner did not know why and said sometimes it works and sometimes not so needs fixing. Any advice to what the problem might be? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try replacing the blower motor resistor. It's in the heater box in the engine bay. 2 little screws & a wire harness plugged into it. Should be obvious when you see it. Cheap & easy to replace.

Thanks for the reply Jason, it is already at the mechanics at the moment for a service as I just bought the car, they are gonna look at this problem as well so will reply when I find out what the problem was for future ref.

Having the same issue

Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem. A/C works fine and it cools well but sometimes the fan just won't turn on. I have replaced the fuse/relay in the box next to the fan (where the other relays are) and didn't do it.
The shop is asking me to replace the whole fan and it would be something around 130 USD and I believe is something else that could fix the problem...

Any suggestions?

What fixed yours?

Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem. A/C works fine and it cools well but sometimes the fan just won't turn on. I have replaced the fuse/relay in the box next to the fan (where the other relays are) and didn't do it.
The shop is asking me to replace the whole fan and it would be something around 130 USD and I believe is something else that could fix the problem...

Any suggestions?

What fixed yours?

Hi, I was mistaken about the air conditioning, it wasn´t working just the fan was. I tried it in our garage and it blew cold air and I assumed the A/C worked because the button lit as well, but it was just the fan without a/c.

So the fan worked fine at all speeds but would suddenly stop for no reason at times, when it stopped working the last time I got out of the car and wiggled the fan blower RELAY located under the hood in the relay box which caused it too start again. I took it out, cleaned it a bit and put it back in and it seems to work okay so far. I am assumed the relay could be faulty or its a bad connection there somewhere. Next time it stops try wiggling the relay and see what happens

Replaced the Relay seems to be working now.

Hi!

Thank you for replying to my post. This forum is great. It gave me an idea where to look.
Originally I replaced the "A/C WOT Relay" which took me anywhere.

This morning I thought about it. Look into the manual and read that the fan is actually hooked to the "Heat Blow Relay".
I noticed that one of the terminals in that relay was little black from the inside (I could see the plastic around the leg a little bit darker).
Instead of replacing the fan I had just to replace the relay which is the same as the "A/C WOT Relay". I'll post later on if something comes up...

So far my wife believes I'm her hero!!

I had this problem. It turned out to be a relay ($10 on Amazon) that is in the "Power Distribution Box" inside the engine compartment, normally near to the battery. Look for the relay named "Blower Relay" or "Heat Blow Relay" and write down the numbers on top of it... then google search for it, and you will find it is sold at AutoZone, etc and Amazon. The relay pulls out like a fuse, but you will probably have to use pliers.

Back