V8 swap? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fordexplorerguy1

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4.0 tow package?
Hey everyone i am contemplating a 4.0 to v8 swap.. I have been reading up on it but i wanted to ask, Whats the best year for the 5.0 v8 to swap in? and whats the best trans for it? what should be a good price for the engine and trans? The local junk yard wants 550 a piece for the engine and trans. Any info is useful. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are dozens of ways to accomplish the swap.

Do a search for different peoples methods of swapping engines/transmissions.

THEN decide, until you know which method you want to go with, it's hard to tell.

Ryan

v8

i have seen 302s from mustangs, 2nd gen explorers and some f-150s but the intake would need to be change to clear hood on f-150 and the explorers i think have more wiring than a mustang cause the explorers use coil packs and mustangs use a distributer. just search youtube for v8 explorers and rangers.

That is what I was getting at....

OBD-II EFI
OBD-I EFI
Carbed

Those are your MAIN options there, and you could use all Ford pieces to do it. There there are your aftermarket Engine Management options. There are even TBI units that look like a carb, but it is computer controlled. And there are you high-end, HUGE learning curve options such as F.A.S.T., AEM and MegaSquirt.

Then you get into Transmission options. Auto, or Manual. And between those 2 options you have a dozen or so REAL options.

And then, are you going to be 2WD, 4WD or AWD? Because that has a HUGE impact on your options of Transmissions AND where you get the donor tranny from.

Figure ALL this out first, before you buy ANYTHING. Post it here, and we will lead you in the right direction, saving you a LOT of time, and even more money.

Ryan

I want to have an automatic 4x4, Are there custom drive shafts needed? what about the transfer case?

Okay...what about the Engine...that is the BIG decision.

EFI or carb?

Ryan

Which is the easiest? Which is more powerful?, and better yet which has the best gas mileage?

Seriously?

You want me to hold your hand the WHOLE way through the process?

I don't think so.

Search. I've helped MORE than enough so far.

Ryan

Yeah you have helped a lot thank you. Ill search more post less.

Hi, I'm new to these forums! Sorry to bring this thread back from the grave, but I'm interested doing the swap on my 1997 Explorer. Currently, it is a Sport model (2dr), 4.0L SOHC, 4WD A/T, with torsion bar suspension. The truck currently has an engine that seems like it's about to give out; it has 235k on it :/ What I want to do is to keep the 4WD system and the automatic transmission, and to swap the front t-case while I have everything ripped out (makes a lot of noise in 4wd mode). So.... I guess the question is.... Where do I start? :)

Which is the easiest? Which is more powerful?, and better yet which has the best gas mileage?

Not to be a Di** but you you're asking about gas mileage on a V8 4WD? To give you an honest answer EFI for "mileage", Carb would be easiest to install since you don't have to run wires/plumbing for computer/ fuel injection.

Hi, I'm new to these forums! Sorry to bring this thread back from the grave, but I'm interested doing the swap on my 1997 Explorer. Currently, it is a Sport model (2dr), 4.0L SOHC, 4WD A/T, with torsion bar suspension. The truck currently has an engine that seems like it's about to give out; it has 235k on it :/ What I want to do is to keep the 4WD system and the automatic transmission, and to swap the front t-case while I have everything ripped out (makes a lot of noise in 4wd mode). So.... I guess the question is.... Where do I start? :)

I would prob go with a 97 model V8. You need the obvious motor, trans, computer and wiring, and lots of time and patience... and money helps too.

im curently in midle of a 351w swap with a c6 4x4 trans. i have a 98 sport 4x4 on 35s . after i had to replace the motor 2 weeks nafter i got it bc the timeing chain tetioner broke 2 transfer cases later all in 20k miles . the trans lost first gear . i went to move it around in the yard and i can hear timeing chain about to go out agian. i am helping my brothe put a 88 cougar on a 85 bronco frame so i have a 351w h.o. 4brl. looking for a home and a c6 trans and transfer case. so im puting something that will pull my 35s with ease. any tips or tricks will help.

:navajo:

I have a 93 that I want to swap a 5.0 into. I have a complete95 f150 for donor motor. I am wondering if I need to pull the wiring harness from the truck or if i can use the explorer chassis harness and the truck engine harness? Also will the fuel lines on the engine hook up to the stock chassis lines?

I just did a 302 in my 98 ranger that had a 3.0, I got a 97 mountaineer for 500, got lucky on that. I put entire drive train in ranger but needed mods for it. The best way is donor vehicle and alot of work. Oh...Lots of money too

Not to be a Di** but you you're asking about gas mileage on a V8 4WD? To give you an honest answer EFI for "mileage", Carb would be easiest to install since you don't have to run wires/plumbing for computer/ fuel injection.

Ya, I wanted gas mileage too, my 3.0 was only getting about 8 around town trying to turn the 33s..the 302 might be getting 15?

Ya, I wanted gas mileage too, my 3.0 was only getting about 8 around town trying to turn the 33s..the 302 might be getting 15?

Trying to turn 33's is not gonna kill you mpg's that badly. You've got other issues going on that need fixing. A 302 isn't gonna guarantee better mileage just cause its more powerful, its never that simple. Driving style can account for crappy gas mileage. My gal cant understand how I can milk 2-3 mpg more than her despite driving faster.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trying to turn 33's is not gonna kill you mpg's that badly. You've got other issues going on that need fixing. A 302 isn't gonna guarantee better mileage just cause its more powerful, its never that simple. Driving style can account for crappy gas mileage. My gal cant understand how I can milk 2-3 mpg more than her despite driving faster.
Ok, my mpg was about 14 around town with body lift and 33s, then I put 4 in suspect lift which is all brackets that added weight for 3.0 to move, my mpg dropped to about 8, I could feel it was not moving as easy as b4. Now with 5.0 in it, it is alot easier. Of course it's got about 60 more horses and maybe 100 more pounds of torque

Back