OnStar for non GM Vehicles | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OnStar for non GM Vehicles

It's just a powered mirror, with power hookups, etc... It doesn't integrate into the vehicle, so it should be simple to install.

A GM product in a Ford? Wont some sort of black hole open up and swallow us all?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why would you want OnStar for an Ex? One reason I wanted an Ex with Sync, was so that I could use my own phone WITHOUT having to pay an extra $30 or whatever a month for the OnStar phone service.

Really - I don't get it?
Here is a link to a very positive review of the OnStar FMV. We had it for the initial 1 yr after purchasing a Malibu. The service was fantastic. Why don't we have it now? Simple, price.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/01/t...m-but-costly-service.html?_r=1&ref=technology

And here is a link to a VERY negative review of Onstar's Terms and Conditions:

http://www.zdziarski.com/blog/?p=1270

Based on this, Onstar can collect and sell data about where you were, how fast you were going, if your seatbelts were on, etc. They can even do that after you discontinue Onstar without asking for your consent.

OUCH!

Just an FYI....most of what they are collecting with regards to vehicle speed, location, seat belt use, etc, etc, is not just collected by On*

When your involved in a serious MVI (Motor Vehicle Incident) Law Enforcement does a download from your OBD-II port and gets all that anyway.

I also question the ability of the system to function after your account is terminated.

I have personally been involved in numerous police investigations where tourists have had their GM vehicle stolen or carjacked and On* says they can't track a vehicle without the account being re-activated from inside the vehicle first.

I have also contacted On* regarding incidents of suicidal people with firearms inside their GM vehicle with On* and even though I explained to the On* Advisor that this situation is life or death they still can't track the vehicle.

For investigative purposes Law Enforcement needs a warrant signed by a Judge to track your vehicle or listen inside so don't believe everything you hear.

As far as On* providing speed information to Law Enforcement for the purpose of writing tickets that is complete and total BS.

The big advantage of On* was previously stated on this thread and that is the fact that the On* VCIM (Vehicle Communication Interface Module) is 3 watts and with the roof top mounted antenna it has much better range then a cell-phone sitting on your console in an RF (radio frequency) tight vehicle.

I also question the ability of the system to function after your account is terminated.

I have personally been involved in numerous police investigations where tourists have had their GM vehicle stolen or carjacked and On* says they can't track a vehicle without the account being re-activated from inside the vehicle first.

I understand, but maybe they previously disconnected, and now they don't plan to? The wording is below, and pretty clear that you even have to notify subsequent owners. I personally, would be none too happy with this T&C.

"Unless the Data Connection to your Vehicle is deactivated, data about
your Vehicle will continue to be collected even if you do not have a
Plan. It is important that you convey this to other drivers, occupants,
or subsequent owners of your Vehicle. You may deactivate the Data
Connection to your Vehicle at any time by contacting an OnStar
Advisor."

Im actually glad you found that because next time they tell me they can't track a vehicle without an active subscription Im going to quote that word for word.

Just an FYI....most of what they are collecting with regards to vehicle speed, location, seat belt use, etc, etc, is not just collected by On*

When your involved in a serious MVI (Motor Vehicle Incident) Law Enforcement does a download from your OBD-II port and gets all that anyway.

I have also contacted On* regarding incidents of suicidal people with firearms inside their GM vehicle with On* and even though I explained to the On* Advisor that this situation is life or death they still can't track the vehicle.

For investigative purposes Law Enforcement needs a warrant signed by a Judge to track your vehicle or listen inside so don't believe everything you hear.

As far as On* providing speed information to Law Enforcement for the purpose of writing tickets that is complete and total BS.

The big advantage of On* was previously stated on this thread and that is the fact that the On* VCIM (Vehicle Communication Interface Module) is 3 watts and with the roof top mounted antenna it has much better range then a cell-phone sitting on your console in an RF (radio frequency) tight vehicle.

I tried to have the OnStar installed last week, but the tech could not easily remove the Ford mirror and said to come back when he had a soft mallet to help release the spring (holding) mechanism. He also said there is no external antenna, everything is in the mirror. I don't know how this might affect the power output, but I'm glad they don't have to fish an antenna wire around the front windshield. The wife still insists on OnStar.

I tried to have the OnStar installed last week, but the tech could not easily remove the Ford mirror and said to come back when he had a soft mallet to help release the spring (holding) mechanism. He also said there is no external antenna, everything is in the mirror. I don't know how this might affect the power output, but I'm glad they don't have to fish an antenna wire around the front windshield. The wife still insists on OnStar.

I still don't understand what significant advantage Onstar brings to Ford products (in fact it was a reason I didn't look hard at GM - wanted the functionality without the additional monthly charge), other than what amounts to added cost for an extra cellphone built into the car, other than it being a system the customer has adopted, and is used to (ie. reluctance to change). The change to terms and conditions are the nail in the coffin of Onstar, to me.

Back