Auto to manual swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto to manual swap

That will also give you time to locate a 5 speed. I'd prob try for a 93-94 model since you have an extra O2 than I do. Prob easier to find one from a ranger, since stick exploders are kinda rare. (prob the reason why I'd never give mine up).

Not sure of your junkyard selection where you live but if you had a u-pull-it type of place it'd give you a chance to see how it all works.

Just a bit of fyi.... When you go to remove trans bolts.... you'll need like 20 ft of extensions it seems like. And if you don't have one or access to one get an air compressor.... made my clutch job sooo much easier with the removing of bolts and such.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gotcha. thanks. I'm sure I will be able to find a used or maybe even a rebuilt tranny somewhere. Craigslist is a great place to advertise here for stuff like that. BUT, I might end up having to purchase on the internet, say ebay or whatever. We do have pull-it places here, I'm just not strong enough to carry a heavy item like the tranny. Plus, Ive never taken one off before....I'd be like going into that blind. I NEVER EVER shoulda traded in my 91 5 speed that I had last year.

This is a swap I'm considering doing as well. Keep us updated with pics and info.

This is a swap I'm considering doing as well. Keep us updated with pics and info.

It's been done... Foxracin did it a year or so back and there's pics. A real good read IMO for someone contemplating the swap. It's in his signature, so find a post by him.

I'm about ready to just give up on the whole project and just find me another rig that has a 5 speed. This project is beginning to look bigger and bigger and more and more expensive.
Anyone interested in a 94 auto 4x4?

I'm about ready to just give up on the whole project and just find me another rig that has a 5 speed. This project is beginning to look bigger and bigger and more and more expensive.
Anyone interested in a 94 auto 4x4?

Too bad you're in Idaho.... Just last week there were 3 5 speed x's for sale within 2 hrs of me. All sport models, and 2 of 3 were 4x4.

There are a couple for sale right now, but I don't have the $1600 they want...

I think the tranny project is gonna be placed on the back burner. UNLESS, the auto decides to take a dump before next summer. IF that happens, I don't know what I'll do.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Will I have to replace my radiator as well? I noticed that when I went to look at parts, was just browsing, and there were different part numbers for the radiator hoses....either for the auto or 5 speed.

Just plug the threaded line holes in your stock radiator. There are also diff fans for auto or manual, but not necessary to replace. You will have a trans cooler attached to the front of your radiator that can be removed when you do the swap.

We r having issues keeping my ex running. It keeps smelling like gas....acting like it gets flooded. What can b causing this??

WELL, I put back in my auto computer and my EX runs. Its hesitating tho. STILL NO manual trans wiring harness on the tranny as I was not able to find one yet. Some of the plugs ON the tranny itself were bent to crap in transit to me and so I have to replace those in order to be able to install a man. harness.

Still not sure why my ignition switch won't start the ex.

Anyone have any brilliant ideas on how to remove the auto tranny lines underneath? Does the man. tranny have to come out?

So what do I do? The manual computer that I bought won't let my rig start....

I bet I know why now... I had to think about it.... I bet the manual trans computer is looking for the neutral safety switch to be pressed(this occurs when the clutch is pushed to start).

And if you don't have the harness yet, this is most likely the issue.

As far as the ignition switch not doing it's thing... I'm at a loss.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ahh ok gotcha. Well, I will be working on getting the harness taken care of asap. Until then, I gotta run the auto computer.

Yeah, we had to install a push button ignition switch to bypass the key for some odd reason. The solenoid would not engage the starter for some reason. So maybe the wiring harness has everything to do with these issues, maybe not. I just don't know until I get it on.

Back