LED Mirror Light Conversion (Pics) | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED Mirror Light Conversion (Pics)

moto_0024.jpg

this shows the blue mirror lights and the white led's inside the truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the mirrors with puddle lights that I found on ebay at a good price luckily. My main question is that with my ex not having puddle lights from the factory, if I buy the power mirrors with puddle lights is there an extra wire that comes on the harness on the mirrors with puddle lights for the puddle lights to get power? Or do I need to plug in the new mirror with puddle lights to my Ex then splice a wire to the interior lights for the puddle light to work? Hope that made sense, thanks to anybody that has the info on this.

For the mirrors with puddle lights that I found on ebay at a good price luckily. My main question is that with my ex not having puddle lights from the factory, if I buy the power mirrors with puddle lights is there an extra wire that comes on the harness on the mirrors with puddle lights for the puddle lights to get power? Or do I need to plug in the new mirror with puddle lights to my Ex then splice a wire to the interior lights for the puddle light to work? Hope that made sense, thanks to anybody that has the info on this.

Haha yes you made perfect sense. I have not been inside the door panels in years nor have I looked at the harness for the mirrors other then the 2 leads for the puddle lights, but in my experience of trying to add equipment that was not installed from the factory is that you will need to run your own wiring. I have never been blessed with an OMG IT JUST PLUGS IN project... Ever.

The wring will be a PITA inside the door, but all you will need to do is tap into a black/blue wire coming off the dimmer switch to feed the puddle lights.

The Heated mirror part might be a bit more complicated. I imagine that the oem setup will have more then just an on off button, but have some kind of relay setup with a timeout and overheat circuit. I could be wrong just my guess.

So I have a quick question, my side mirrors dont have the puddle lights below them, but if I wanted too, could I buy some with the puddle lights and swap them out? Like would the cable that plugs into the mirrors for the power mirrors also be the same cable for the puddle lights?

So I have a quick question, my side mirrors dont have the puddle lights below them, but if I wanted too, could I buy some with the puddle lights and swap them out? Like would the cable that plugs into the mirrors for the power mirrors also be the same cable for the puddle lights?

in my experience of trying to add equipment that was not installed from the factory is that you will need to run your own wiring. I have never been blessed with an OMG IT JUST PLUGS IN project... Ever.

Ahhh I see. That saddens me :(

Ahhh I see. That saddens me :(

All it takes is a few hours of fishing wires through the doors and dash. There is still hope!

Thanks for the info Mustang, I was thinking of just splicing it to the black/blue wire which you mentioned which is already exposed thanks to me having the door courtesy lights. So If I can get it to plug to my factory harness and splice the wire then I should be good. Luckily I don't have to worry about the heated part. The mirrors are also non heated that I found on ebay.

Another question. Is the only way to separate the puddle lights clear piece from the black piece is to just dremel it?

Posting my results...

Here's what it ended up looking like. This was my first time soldering besides a few wires I practiced on. I was very happy with the results.
IMG_0122.jpg

I got some stock vs LED shots. I think it's pretty obvious which side is which :D

IMG_0129.jpg

ledvsstock.jpg

Another question. Is the only way to separate the puddle lights clear piece from the black piece is to just dremel it?

I did not try any other methods of taking them apart. A Dremel with a cutoff wheel is the best way to do this.

Posting my results...

Here's what it ended up looking like. This was my first time soldering besides a few wires I practiced on. I was very happy with the results.

Looks good, thanks for the pictures!

Thanks for the info Mustang.

cool white led 194

2013-01-22mirror_zps22185201.jpg

from superbrightled.com and painted the inside reflector area white for extra affect.

Ah, I should have taken pics of mine before I filled it with resin and coated the back... 18 5050 SMDs in each mirror.

stupid question but i'm guessing their aren't any LED bulbs available to just swap put with the stock puddle ones?

stupid question but i'm guessing their aren't any LED bulbs available to just swap put with the stock puddle ones?

They do make them. Do a google search for 168 LEDs, the only thing is they are not the best quality.

Could this be done with SMD leds? if so would type of resistors would they need. for say 5050smd.
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wanted to thank Mustangp51 for this post as it helped me make my puddle lights so much brighter! Also wanted to add a picture of the plug in connector I made for those who don't like to splice things like me.

IMG_8774_zpse3efa9c5.jpg

hopefully this helps someone!

Back