What kind of mileage is your 3rd gen getting? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What kind of mileage is your 3rd gen getting?

My '04 Mounty 4.6L AWD 3:73 rear end gets about 12-14 city and 17-19 highway. It sickens me to the point I am considering selling and moving on to a car-based 'ute like a Mazda CX-9 or Mitsubishi Outlander.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My '04 Mounty 4.6L AWD 3:73 rear end gets about 12-14 city and 17-19 highway. It sickens me to the point I am considering selling and moving on to a car-based 'ute like a Mazda CX-9 or Mitsubishi Outlander.

I feel you, but consider this: your V8 is getting 2mpg better than my V6.

about 75% city driving and I am seeing about 15mpg

05 v6 2wd 3.55s and 265/70/17s

For the record, the 265s actually make my speedo dead on. I have tested it every speed trap thing on the side of the road. never been more than 1mph off. I think ford undersized the tires from the factory to squeak a few extra mpgs outta the trucks.

For the record, the 265s actually make my speedo dead on. I have tested it every speed trap thing on the side of the road. never been more than 1mph off. I think ford undersized the tires from the factory to squeak a few extra mpgs outta the trucks.

Haha I have had exactly the same experience!

I get anywhere from 16-19mpg highway and <14mpg city, 4.6L (3.73 LS) with 129k on the clock. Oversized tires and airbox mod with k&n.

02 v6 with 135k and only 11-14mpg its bs my 06 chevy 2500hd with a 6.0l gas is getting 18-22

i thought 2500HD's only came with a 4:10 rear end. If so, there is no way in hell you are getting 18-22 with a 6.0L. They are pigs.

Im averaging 16.8 from the dash calculater and its pretty acurate from my own calculation. 04 mounty 4.6 with tow package whatever gear ratio that gives me. All stock 112,000 on the clock.

02 v6 with 135k and only 11-14mpg its bs my 06 chevy 2500hd with a 6.0l gas is getting 18-22

Not buying it. I know a few people with Chevy 6.0s and they all get between 10&13 mpg. The 4.8l is pretty thrifty, but you'd be hard pressed to see 22 out of that motor even.

You must be running one of those hydrogen generators:rolleyes:

14 city, 20 to 22 highway if I keep it under 70, but I have a low-restriction exhaust. City mpg is no different but it picked up about 3 mpg on the highway with the exhaust.

its a 2wd, ok you do the math 22 gallon tank and it get 380 miles driving to and from work 50 mile round trip all freeway and when i goto eastern oregon i get around 450 miles to a tank. so its not 18-22 more like 17-21

380/22= 17.27
450/22= 20.45

Mostly city driving= 15.6mpg
Little hwy raises this to about 19mpg.
EDIT: Just drove to the east coast of Florida yesterday, all HWY and averaged 20.5mpg the whole way. Not too bad seeing that there was a head wind against me.

Can't measures by tank size it is inaccurate. Many tanks actually have 1 or 2 gallon reserve. Also I know from experience I tested it on my old Mazda b2200. Measure how many miles from fill to fill with number of gallons used. It can be difficult since gas expands through temp changes. But you will get a decent estimate.

Update:
another 2 vehicles spotted with 4.0l V6 and 3.73 gears getting better than 21mpg fwy. Please take a second and look at the axle code on the sticker on your drivers door, if you don't know what the code means just post it with your mpg so I can look it up. Thanks for all of the replies.

Open your drivers door and find the 2 character code listed under axle type or axle code.

42 = 4.10 open differential
45 = 3.55 open differential
46 = 3.73 open differential
D2 = 4.10 limited slip
D4 = 3.73 limited slip
D5 = 3.55 limited slip

I have had this truck for just a few months but the mileage has been getting better over time. My wife got 20.8 mpg on a trip she made to NJ which for her driving style is amazing! The truck has the 4.6L V-8 with the 3.73LS rear end and 4X4. Around town I get 17-18 mpg.

Open your drivers door and find the 2 character code listed under axle type or axle code.

42 = 4.10 open differential
45 = 3.55 open differential
46 = 3.73 open differential
D2 = 4.10 limited slip
D4 = 3.73 limited slip
D5 = 3.55 limited slip

thanks for bursting my bubble (and explaining a few things) mines a code#46 :mad::(:mad::(:mad::(
im getting about 15 but im only on hwy for trips and such
what models had the 4.10??? specifically D2

thanks for bursting my bubble (and explaining a few things) mines a code#46 :mad::(:mad::(:mad::(
im getting about 15 but im only on hwy for trips and such
what models had the 4.10??? specifically D2

Lol. I am actually impressed seeing as how your truck outperformed a few others that had lockers :p:

No 3rd or 4th Gens came with 4.10 in any form...unless it was some special dealer option or something.

Edit:

Hey, at least that means you can throw in an Aussie locker now!

Lol. I am actually impressed seeing as how your truck outperformed a few others that had lockers :p:

No 3rd or 4th Gens came with 4.10 in any form...unless it was some special dealer option or something.

Edit:

Hey, at least that means you can throw in an Aussie locker now!
Thx for the compliment it took a little "finesse" but did everything I asked it to..
thats what i thought...though they should have...
:D im already pricing it into the gears/christmas bundle
im thinking 4.56 front-rear, true-trac front, and a aussie rear
i guess that traction-control is pretty nice after all.....

Thx for the compliment it took a little "finesse" but did everything I asked it to..
thats what i thought...though they should have...
:D im already pricing it into the gears/christmas bundle
im thinking 4.56 front-rear, true-trac front, and a aussie rear
i guess that traction-control is pretty nice after all.....

That sounds like a great setup Will :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Further update:
It appears that speciffically the D4 codes tend to be getting the best mpg. Anyone have any idea why this would be the case?

Back