Engine swap

Josh Adams

Elite Ranger
Reaction score
City, State
Westminster, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ranger XLT
So, my aunt gave me a 94 4x4 with an engine that leaks oil pretty bad. After a year of looking I have found an engine to replace it with. Guy says it has 57000 miles on it and is out of a 93.

I need some suggestions of things to do while the engine is out before it goes in. I know I'm gonna put a new oil pump in it, timing set, water pump, plugs and wires. Any ideas of what I need to think about before it goes in

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:scratch:

Youre replacing an engine because of oil leaks?

not just leaking oil. It has a blown head gasket or a cracked head and it has 190,000 miles on it.

And if I'm going through all the trouble of pulling the motor to change the rear main seal and taking the heads off and maybe replacing them, I'm just gonna put a better engine in it.

Ok, thats a better reason.

I would replace the rear main and front crank seals. Check the oil pan gasket carefully, replace if needed.
Check the freeze plugs, replace as needed.

So, my aunt gave me a 94 4x4 with an engine that leaks oil pretty bad. After a year of looking I have found an engine to replace it with. Guy says it has 57000 miles on it and is out of a 93.

I need some suggestions of things to do while the engine is out before it goes in. I know I'm gonna put a new oil pump in it, timing set, water pump, plugs and wires. Any ideas of what I need to think about before it goes in

New radiator hoses, thermostat, and I'd pressure test the radiator to make sure it isn't faulty. I wouldn't want to do all the swap work w/o checking the cooling system first.

On my truck I had the water pump and heater core changed @194k, I replaced my radiator/ hoses @ 195k cause of it leaking, and I just replaced my thermostat @ 204k because it stuck shut on me.

So with 190k on yours I'd definitely service the cooling system.

How positive are you the other engine, actually has 57k miles? It very well could be 157k... 93's have a 5 digit odometer... I'd double check for sure.

whenever I swap an engine, I put in all new freeze plugs, thermostat, water pump, hoses, front and rear seal and spark plugs. Depending where you are at, a block heater is always a nice addition, it goes in the front passenger side freeze plug on the side of the block. If any gaskets are seeping, now is the time to replace them. Honestly, it is the best time to do upper and lower intake manifold gaskets as well. What takes 15 minutes now takes a couple hours when it is in the truck.

Valve cover gaskets are another easy fix when the engine is out.

I would do a compression test first thing. If it has not been run for a while I would lub everything that you can get to. At least turn over the engine to make it is not locked up.

57K from a 93? May be more like 157K. Unless it was rebuilt or a reman.

i will be putting a JY translant in my 91 next saturday any help would be appreciated

What kinda help do you need?

what to do to the truck while the engine is out and the New to me engine before it goes in

Good advice above on that. Generally, it goes like this:

You are transplanting an engine, so presumably you know engines and have some experience. So, you should ask yourself what is hard to do once the engine is installed, and would be a good preventative measure.

Find mentions seals. Note: You cannot remove the oil pan when the engine is installed. (Someone has done it by lifting the engine a lot and wiggling) but you should assume you will not be in the oil pan once the engine is in. Crankshaft seals, pan gasket for sure. I just might replace the oil pump, while I was there.

According to the books, you cannot remove the timing cover without removing the pan. Maybe you can drop the pan enough, I'm not sure. But if I were less than 20 bolts away from replacing at least the timing chain tensioners, I would do it.

What are known soft spots? The oiling system is a little bit lacking for the top end. So, there is known wear issues for pushrods and rockers. Delta cams sells a kit just for this issue with new pushrods and rockers.

But, again, use what you know about engines, look at it, think. Is that hose hard to get to? Replace it now, while it's easy.

thanks roadrunner dont know how much of that ill be able to get done due to funds being limited but i ll try to get it all done

sorry for thread jacking the site wont let me post a new thread my internal engine knowledge is minimal but with this forum i think i can manage this and get another 100k plus out of her oh and i have bought an all new cooling system radiator heater core thermostat hoses etc. brand new tranny maybe 3k on it

picked up the engine yesterday. now gotta start buying parts, get it on the engine stand, and then get it in the Explorer.

good idea im thinking black block blue valve colors high gloss silver intake manifold josh when u swapin em out

i have bought an all new cooling system radiator heater core thermostat hoses etc.

I see you have a good start at keeping the 4.0 alive. The secret I was told about a 4.0 is don't let it get hot. I mean obviously keep the other fluids within spec.

I have done all the above and am shooting for another 45k miles before I pull mine for a rebuild (250k), I figure that's a good number to pull an engine and do a rebuild.

Well, I've bought the following:

Melling oil pump
radiator hoses
spark plugs
timing set
water pump

Will be buying other stuff soon. I have all the money to buy everything, but it hurts my feeling less when I do it smaller amounts lol.

There isn't any leaking around any gasket or seal. I think I'm gonna take my chances and not change the head or valve gaskets. It does turn but I'm gonna put some Marvin's Mystery oil it and turn it a few times.

I'm hoping on changing it out in December sometime.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how do i get the torque converter bolts out

Back