City, State
west branch,mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer sport
004.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

003.jpg

we've got some work to do. i was thinkin about removing the body lift to get some smaller more streetable tires on it and not have it look weird, which he needs new tires, but seeing that new body bushings would be necessary we are gonna look at different options. i'm lookin forward to tinkerin with it and teachin him how to turn a wrench, and 1st things first( after the tires) is fluid change for everything. youll be seeing me around and asking all kinds of questions as i can turn a wrench, but dont know a whole lot about these trucks or 4wd for that matter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that looks like a great project ride, you should keep the lift on and since you need new tires anyway just upgrade to a larger set. i think that it will eliminate that awkward look if you move up a few inches to bigger tires. also, go to the tow rig section of the forum and im sure you will find info on getting the hitch to sit closer to the bumper.

It does look like the front end tires have negative chamber in its alignment. With a lifted vehicle your components will wear faster than a stock so since its your son's vehicle, it may be best to remove the lift if he's gonna be responsible for the maintenance of the vehicle. Also you may come to discover in the process of removing the lift some of the body mounts, you'll need shorter bolts cause of the 3 inch body lift. There are 8 or 10 mounts in the truck.

after doing a little surfin here and thinking about the camber thing, i'm wondering how much work would be involved to remove the suspension lift and leave the body lift. gonna do some more surfin then get it into the shop to take a look.

Its probably all body lift and just the crank of the torsion bars. You can jack the truck up and turn the torsion bar adjusters a few turns and then see how it looks

what blee1099 said. the only other thing you can do camber adjusters for both sides. lowing it right now my also be another plus if this is his first vehicle for the reason it will be a little more tippier then if it was stock. as for not knowing much about these trucks, i knew nothing about them when i bought mine (but i did have knowledge of vehicles). years later (and blee1099 has seen the truck i own personally) i would like to think i have a pretty darn nice truck now, and it is because of this site.

nice x

welp, got a little work in i had to kick out. i do a lot of work out of my shop and got a truck in to detail. took a while to get the interior cleaned up nice and paint shining again ( i was actually surprised to see a 15 year old truck with over 200,000 miles on it that the factory paint was in very good shape ). but now it is definately comin in the shop tonight to look it over.

welp, it's been a bit since i posted. i've been a lil busy and a lot sick and my son hasnt had the $$$ to get anything done with his truck. i got it in this weekend and did a detail jod inside and out. the paint ( and interior) was severely neglected. the clear is shot in small spots all over the truck and after the work i had to do to get it to where it is, the cc is extremely thin now. it came out pretty nice for what it was. i took a bunch of pictures, but wouldnt ya know it, they wouldnt download and i have to get a new card for my camera.
so i have been able to look over this truck pretty good. it needs some work, but driveline wise its in pretty good condition. it also got new fluids in rad, engine, trans, differential, power steering, and brakes have been completely flushed. was glad not to see any signs of water in anything as PO used it for mudding.
so now, after my son saw the price of tires and has driven it a little bit( yes, he's been drivin it with them tires. just around town and i warned him of the consequences. some kids gotta learn the hard way and he's one of em i think), he really wants to get rid of the suspension lift. i have no idea what manufacturer of lift kit it is. i surfed for about 4 hours lookin for a lift kit install thread to see iffen i can see whats gonna be involved in lowering it ( which i also had pictures of the suspension,too!). didnt find one. but after laying on a creeper for about an hour lookin, it looks do able and more time consuming than anything. looks like i need to get new shocks and sway bar links, and maybe leaf spring shackles but not realy sure on what else i'll ( sorry, my SON!LOL) wiil have to buy. after surfin a bit, with just the body lift they look pretty sweet.
gonna have a brush guard and taillight guards up for sale once i get em cleaned up and painted. i'll get some pics up tomorrow of how the truck looks now and of the suspension . i can use all the advise i can get.....tom

Its probably all body lift and just the crank of the torsion bars. You can jack the truck up and turn the torsion bar adjusters a few turns and then see how it looks

Im going to disagree with you both.

If you look at his pictures

1. Its a sport should have a Mono leaf. It either has after market springs or 4dr leaf packs. Im going to say after market springs. So The rear is lifted.

2. The torsions bar cross member is lowered.

3. you can barely see but those are stock shackles.
So that doesnt lead me to belive it had war 153's

4. Front end view. Where you see the alignment is off. You can also see that the CV's are at the right angles. If it was a TT the Cv's would be at worse angles.

So Conclusion.
multipul leaf's in the rear
good cv angles.
stock shackles.
no rack from front to back.

Lifted. By suspension as well

Probably superlift.

Also, those look to be either a 32x10.5 or 33" tire. But Im guessing by the side wall. Look how much clearance it has. Enough for 35's.

might be interested in the tail guards :wavey:

as for the lift, it doesn't look like torsion bars were done because of what wantedexplorer said, the cv angles are normal. I think its a superlift and BL. I vote for keep the superlift, ditch the body lift because I think it would be a lot more simple to remove the BL

get some new rubber!:roll:

it has a superlift,l easily identified by the drop brackets on the front, and by the lowered torsion bars,,

i have the same lift,, so it was easy for me to see, ,

it has a body and suspension lift. unfortunately, the pics i took had the skidplate off and showed a lot pretty good. i'll have pics tomorrow. 33's on it now. this could turn into a unbuild thread.
on the rear springs, the shackles have the factory rivets so i'm guessin they havent been touched. i was wonderin how the rear got lifted.
one thing that made me think about removing the suspension lift is seein the price for a body bushing kit. we could take the $$$ for a bushing kit and put into shocks and other parts( needs an upper right ball joint).

i got the taillight guards stripped to bare metal and ready for primer. i have no idea how much to ask for em....yet.

Your a little far away. I would be interested in the brush guard, AND the tail light gaurds. And I have a business addy they could be shipped to to save on shipping.

might be willing to ship. i also have the brush guard stripped. puttin primer on em both tomorrow. gotta look into a price for em. thats more $$$ to put into the beast!!!

another quick question, even thoug its gonna be a bit. i've been lookin for some patch panels for the rear quarters in front of the tires. i found a lot of places with patch panels for behind the tires, but havent been able to find any for in front. any suggestions???

you mentioned you need to do the ball joint, that would be a great project to do with your son. there are some good DIY write ups on here!

it has a body and suspension lift. unfortunately, the pics i took had the skidplate off and showed a lot pretty good. i'll have pics tomorrow. 33's on it now. this could turn into a unbuild thread.
on the rear springs, the shackles have the factory rivets so i'm guessin they havent been touched. i was wonderin how the rear got lifted.
one thing that made me think about removing the suspension lift is seein the price for a body bushing kit. we could take the $$$ for a bushing kit and put into shocks and other parts( needs an upper right ball joint).

i got the taillight guards stripped to bare metal and ready for primer. i have no idea how much to ask for em....yet.

Superlift makes lifted spring packs, would assume they were put on with the suspension lift (that lift is about $2k)

Most people want to put on that lift (or any lift) and you want to remove that lift... Not wrong, just different! Based on the rust, you may want to look at the bolts etc on the bodylift. They not be very fun to remove.... I think the truck has a great stance now, being able to fit 35's most of us only dream about.

Any info you need to get that truck where you want is all here! As mentioned, especially the ball joint writeup!

Welcome to the forum!

Looks pretty good for a 98.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

another quick question, even thoug its gonna be a bit. i've been lookin for some patch panels for the rear quarters in front of the tires. i found a lot of places with patch panels for behind the tires, but havent been able to find any for in front. any suggestions???

your best bet for that is find a 4 door with good rocker panels. cut them off so you have both inner and outer. then while your there, also chop off the lower part of the rear door, and weld it to the rockers. that's what i had to do with my truck when i did the body to it years ago.

Back