99 Expedition XLT 4x4 build thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 Expedition XLT 4x4 build thread

SkyJumper

DISABLED AIRBORNE VET
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
SW Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Expedition XLT 4x4
As the title states I just bought a 99 Expedition XLT 4x4. I got it dirt cheap from a old man that could not afford to have the heater core fixed so he practically gave it to me.

It has 110k on the odometer and the interior is a 9.7 out of 10, absolutely minty inside. The exterior is a 9.5 out of 10. The drivetrain is dry and non-leaking. And everything works as it should.

I already purchased a 3/2 lift cheap, 3" indexed torsion keys with 2" rear spring spacers. This will do until I feel the need to spend 2k on a full lift kit. I already installed it today.

I also bought 4 new 305/70/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, and 4 new 16x10 Pro Comp Extreme 98 rims. The rims are arriving Tuesday so I got to wait to install those till then. The tires are already here and center caps.

I also purchased a new Hooker Aero Chamber muffler for the dual out exhaust with 2 new 18" Magnaflow rolled exhaust tips. I got them in yesterday and have a appt Wednesday for the install.

Also I purchased new camo seat covers and mats and steering wheel cover.

I already replaced the heater core on Thursday. What a ***** that was, had to pull the dash out to get to it.

Looks like I will have fun with it for a while. May even decide to do a SAS on it in the future to a 3/4 ton set up from a F250. The frontend setup looks as it may be a simple setup swap as there is plenty of room under there.

Here it is when I picked it up on the 16th in stock ht
11.jpg

2.jpg

Here it is today after I installed the lift
7.jpg

8.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is the tires and muffler and tips. I am still waiting on the rims to arrive on Tuesday, and the exhaust on Wednesday appt to install.

9.jpg

10.jpg

The only blemish on the interior is the steering wheel airbag has the paint chipping in a few spots as in the pics shows
12.jpg

13.jpg

Nice!

It looks like a great deal! Did you take any pictures of the heater core replacement? It would make a nice how to thread.

No, I did not take any pics as I was doing it as I was more interested in getting it done. I started the task at aroun 6:30pm on last Thursday, and I finished around 11pm. I watched a you tube video that was very straight forward and easy to follow. The one thing I found out was that once you pull the dash back, pull it back further on the passenger side and you can get to the heater box and its bolts and core. That way you will not have to pull the entire dash out.

Here is the video on how to do the heater core video.

Well I got the dual exhaust done today. I bought a Hooker Aero Chamber single in dual out. And 2 Magnaflow 18" rolled tip SS tips. I have had 3 other vehicles with this combo and I love the sound of it. It does sound awesome now. Tomorrow I should receive the rims, and then I can get the tires and rims mounted. It is getting there.

68.jpg

76.jpg

Well I got the tires mounted on the rims. But when I went to mount the tires on the front, the rims are laying against the front calipers and that is not good. So I ordered a set of 1" 6061-T6 Billet Aluminum wheel spacers to mount on the 4 rotors to bring them out enough to clear the calipers. Should have the set of 4 spacers by Friday. UGGHH!

I bought 4 new Rancho RS5000 shocks all the way around at the 4" lift style. The stockers were extended to the max with the lift I put on, so that is why it was so bouncey. They feel and work great.

I also took off the side door moldings and also took the brown pinstriping off and installed black pinstriping. I will post pics tomorrow. I thing the black pinstriping looks awesome.

Here are some pics of the door moldings taken off and waxed and the new black pinstriping. I am not a fan of pinstriping but I took the brown stripes off and thought it took away from the body line seperation. So I got some black stripes and added them and they look great. They will also go with the black rims going on this week. I also took a few pics of the new Rancho shocks.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

And here is the tires mounted on the rims and the exit of the tail pipes. Also got the frontend aligned on Wed.

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Well with the only blemish on the interior at all I fixed. The airbag on the steering wheel had some paint chips as the Ford seems to have painted the airbag cover to match interior color. But the paint had come off in several spots and was a eyesore to see the black spots on it. So I wiped it clean with alcohol and taped it off and painted the airbag with primer and then the original color and sealed it. It came out beautifully and looks new again. Here is a pic before and after.

Before
12.jpg

After
16.jpg

that truck is clean! nice find. could you post up links to the 3/2 lift and rancho shocks?

Buddy you didn't waste any time letting it sit around before you started modding it!

Is it a 5.4? I agree with your decision to open up the intake side, a mechanic buddy of mine has the 5.4 and he said it really woke up when he did a cold air intake and a programmer.

Rock sliders, bumpers, gears and lockers next?

No reason to wait. You are never promised tomorrow. :D

It is the 4.6 in it. And yes the cold air intake is a must with this behemoth. I have not installed it yet as it is still not here yet from summitracing.com. The exhaust alone did wonders on torque and take off.

I like that body style of expedition, I think it is really sharp and it looks like you got a mint one for sure! I had thought about getting an Expedition for a while, but with just me and my wife, didn't have much justification for it.

Orson%20clapping.gif

Well done!!

I like that body style of expedition, I think it is really sharp and it looks like you got a mint one for sure! I had thought about getting an Expedition for a while, but with just me and my wife, didn't have much justification for it.

It is just the Wife and I too. But I buy and sell so often throughout the yrs that I am mostly in it to make a small profit as I usually do. But this is a nice one and I may hold onto it for a while, I never know.

Well I got the lug nuts and center caps in tonite from the Big Brown Truck. So all I am waiting on now is the billet spacers to mount the new tires and rims. It looks as if I will have them in hand tomorrow.

I will post pics as soon as I get them on and see how it looks and or if I need to do any trimming to fit the 33's.

Well I got the tires and rims on with the help of the 1" spacers I received today. Only trimming needed was on the plastic step rail at the very front edge and on the front valance. So all turned out good.

Here are a couple of night pics, will get better ones up tomorrow in the daylight.
20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here are the spacers, I had to trim the original lugs down to prohibit any interference with the rim mounting on the spacer flush, and that was pretty much it.
24.jpg

25.jpg

Back