Help Needed with Body/Frame Mount Rust Repair | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help Needed with Body/Frame Mount Rust Repair

RockRider

Reaction score
City, State
Muncy, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Hi,
I'm new here and was hoping I could get some advice on my Explorer. It won't pass inspection because the radius arm bushings are shot and the rear body mounts are rusted out, despite my attempts to save them.

So, I was wondering how difficult and expensive it is to replace rusted out body mounts. I'm also not sure it's worth it to attempt this project because of the explorer's other problems. It's a 1994 XLT 4 door, with a 5spd and 196,320 miles on the odo. The shocks are also shot, the engine has antifreeze leaking into it, the exhaust is rusted out, the passenger side rocker panel is, well, gone, and the radius arm bushings are shot.

I think I can tackle most of the other problems, but I know zilch about body work, so should I go to the expense of having the mounts fixed, or put my ex out to pasture and sell it as a parts vehicle?

I hate to get rid of it, it's been a great truck and the frame is still good, and there aren't many like it left anymore, but that's the situation.

Any advice would be helpful, I'm hoping it might be fixable, but I'm not sure if replacing body mounts is possible or practical, so if anybody has experience with this, I'm all ears.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody? OK, let me simplify my question. Are rusted out body mounts able to be fixed practically and within a reasonable cost? Today is the last day I can legally drive my Ex, so I would really appreciate any help with this. Jeez, did I wear out any welcome I had or am I not welcome at all?

Anybody who can give me some advice on this, thanks in advance, I could really use some help here.

Let me go ahead and grave dig this. My guy won't pass the safety because my 1998 EB has two small holes in the body mount behind the driver's fender. This really surprised me because the truck looks immaculate, in all honesty. Anyways, I'm going to have to cut out the holes and weld in some plate metal. Would it be worth my while to try and box the mount in?

Two small holes?
Just weld in some plate into the holes, spray all your mounts with undercoating, then find a new guy..

Two small holes?
Just weld in some plate into the holes, spray all your mounts with undercoating, then find a new guy..

ditto and ditto... fix the minor stuff and find a new place to get your ride inspected.. It's one thing to have someone doing due diligence and finding "REAL" safety issues, but failing because of 2 small holes maybe overkill.. IMO

Back