• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Stereo system ideas???

jpburke21

Reaction score
City, State
Mt. Sterling, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD
I have a 2000 Explorer 5.0 XLT and i was some ideas on some good door speakers, HU, 10 inch sub and box, and maybe so tweeter location.... I want the sub to be in the factory spot should i build a box or buy a premade one? i want my system to sound good with all types of music bc i love music and my tastes are all over the place!

I have a 2000 Explorer 5.0 XLT and i was some ideas on some good door speakers, HU, 10 inch sub and box, and maybe so tweeter location.... I want the sub to be in the factory spot should i build a box or buy a premade one? i want my system to sound good with all types of music bc i love music and my tastes are all over the place!

i would say in my own personal option that the best 6x8 i have ever owned would be between boss 3way and sony 4way. boss has more handling power, and sony has a bit better sound. if you want alot of highs you can hear a comp set might be better for you since you can move the tweeter to where you can hear it the best at. i again say anything over 4way is just overkill.

as for the sub, im a boss sub/amp, jensen everything else boy. there subs have some good numbers and the price is hard to beat. you might be able to build a custom box(s) to where your jack and cargo compartments are. there might be enough air space for a 8" not sure. i always build my boxes that way i can make sure its where/how/big i want it, and can build it to any speaker size.

im sure other people will chime in on this as well

tweeter mounting idea, for separates,
383187_10151027358595165_713775164_21991034_1338177454_n.jpg

377854_10151027360230165_713775164_21991040_1238675629_n.jpg

as for using the stock sized speakers in the doors,
i have used a bunch of different ones, and prefer a component set more, it just separates the sound better
the back door set could be a stock sized set , but in the front you want the external tweeter to make the soundstage bigger, and better sounding,,

yeah, i know them doors are kind of dirty, but that is my off road rig, not my pavement princess, it's way cleaner , thanks Joe Dirt,,,,

Back