Status
Not open for further replies.

hannibalhector

Reaction score
City, State
Bronx, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
have there been any devlopments with a hack to fool MFT into thinking the car is parked so video can be played while driving? im very surprised that over a year has passed and I havent heard anything yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have there been any devlopments with a hack to fool MFT into thinking the car is parked so video can be played while driving? im very surprised that over a year has passed and I havent heard anything yet.
Probably because it isn't legal to do so. Around here they have really clamped down on driver distraction. The distracted driving law makes it illegal for drivers to talk, text, type, dial or email using hand-held cell phones and other hand-held communications and entertainment devices. The new law also prohibits the viewing of display screens unrelated to driving such as laptop computers or DVD players.
Why would you want to play videos on the display screen while you are driving? Doesn't sound like a very smart thing to do. If it is for other passengers in the vehicle why not get a portable DVD player or DVD system for the rear?

Why would you want to play videos on the display screen while you are driving? Doesn't sound like a very smart thing to do. If it is for other passengers in the vehicle why not get a portable DVD player or DVD system for the rear?

Enabling this functionality would allow the passenger on the right side to play with the MFT or watch a movie. It's just annoying that if there is passenger in the car, they can't touch the MFT when the car is moving.

Enabling this functionality would allow the passenger on the right side to play with the MFT or watch a movie. It's just annoying that if there is passenger in the car, they can't touch the MFT when the car is moving.
I understand what you are saying but all that could still provide a distraction for the driver.

^^ Precisely. at the very least ...If there's a sensor that disables the passenger side airbag when there's no one in the seat, this sensor should also function as a release for the MFT functions while a passenger is onboard! in other cars, i've purchased aftermarket touch screen head units (DVD players/nav/stereo) and it was as simple as grounding the wire that's supposed to connect to the parking break. I was hoping that 8 months after buying this car there would be a way by now =(

^^ Precisely. at the very least ...If there's a sensor that disables the passenger side airbag when there's no one in the seat, this sensor should also function as a release for the MFT functions while a passenger is onboard! in other cars, i've purchased aftermarket touch screen head units (DVD players/nav/stereo) and it was as simple as grounding the wire that's supposed to connect to the parking break. I was hoping that 8 months after buying this car there would be a way by now =(
The '09 Highlander was the same way. Most screen functions were disabled while the vehicle was in motion. I think the Explorer actually has more features enabled. As I said before, it is a safety issue.

'07 Camry, same way.

Face it- it's not going to happen anytime soon, Ford doesn't need the liability so someone can try to say that a passenger was running the MFT when they mowed over a kid on a bike when the driver was actually the one doing it.

'07 Camry, same way.

Face it- it's not going to happen anytime soon, Ford doesn't need the liability so someone can try to say that a passenger was running the MFT when they mowed over a kid on a bike when the driver was actually the one doing it.

I think it is a safe bet that it will never happen...ever, that is until the car drives itself.

Several people who are dedicated to automotive electronics have proposed me work to fool the computer and make it look video while driving, say something as simple as putting a polo ground in the parking position and thus the ECU interprets which is in parking lot, but I am afraid the disarmament of the center console or any break in the same at work, plus Peter is right, is a matter of security, if the passenger wants to watch video or play using portable equipment, Greetings

Probably because it isn't legal to do so. Around here they have really clamped down on driver distraction. The distracted driving law makes it illegal for drivers to talk, text, type, dial or email using hand-held cell phones and other hand-held communications and entertainment devices. The new law also prohibits the viewing of display screens unrelated to driving such as laptop computers or DVD players.

So who are you to decide what is or isn't safe for drivers to do? There is no reason to go faster than 70MPH (as an example since a lot of freeways are 65-75) but obviously automobiles still go much faster than that. There is no reason to blast a sound system louder than what can be heard from emergency vehicles on the road but volume can go as high as it can. People still watch videos on portable DVD players, hacked DVD players up front, laptops and everything else that plays a video. It is only a matter of time before someone hacks MFT. For what MFT can do while park there is no reason for my passengers to use another player for movies just because Ford thinks it is unsafe. I know speeding is unsafe, but I still cruise along exceeding the speed limit.

I look forward to that day I can let my copilot watch a movie while in motion.

So who are you to decide what is or isn't safe for drivers to do? There is no reason to go faster than 70MPH (as an example since a lot of freeways are 65-75) but obviously automobiles still go much faster than that. There is no reason to blast a sound system louder than what can be heard from emergency vehicles on the road but volume can go as high as it can. People still watch videos on portable DVD players, hacked DVD players up front, laptops and everything else that plays a video. It is only a matter of time before someone hacks MFT. For what MFT can do while park there is no reason for my passengers to use another player for movies just because Ford thinks it is unsafe. I know speeding is unsafe, but I still cruise along exceeding the speed limit.

yup, getting pretty tired of the Nanny state telling us what we can and cannot do. More and more like mother Russia every day. Living in a free society comes with risk. On the whole, the risks are less than living in a dictatorship, but even if they weren't I would still want to live in a country were people can choose to be stupid and drive distracted. The "if it save one life we must restrict people's freedom" crowd don't seem to understand that millions of people have given their lives to protect our freedom, and right to do stupid things.

Guys...there is no DVD player in the front, just CD! :D
So never mind if we '' can't watch while in motion'', we can't while parked either!!! Ticks me off too!

Have a number of buds with aftermarket Kenwood double din radio/7''DVD screen units that play while parked, and easily defeated to play in motion.

christmas1944.jpg

Safety on the road is everyone's concern. Obviously some take it more seriously than others. The issue is one of driver distraction. When exceeding the speed limit most drivers are likely to pay more attention to their driving and surroundings. Loud music shouldn't distract a driver even though it may affect their ability to hear what is around them. Many accidents are caused by driver distraction. Driving is a full time job. There is nothing preventing your 'co-pilot' from watching a movie now as long as it isn't on your MFT screen. BTW, it isn't just Ford that says this is unsafe.
Your common sense should tell you the same.

So who are you to decide what is or isn't safe for drivers to do? .

We share the road with you....we'll decide what's in OUR safety interests. All the electronic toys are enough of a distraction as it is.

yup, getting pretty tired of the Nanny state telling us what we can and cannot do. More and more like mother Russia every day. Living in a free society comes with risk. On the whole, the risks are less than living in a dictatorship, but even if they weren't I would still want to live in a country were people can choose to be stupid and drive distracted. The "if it save one life we must restrict people's freedom" crowd don't seem to understand that millions of people have given their lives to protect our freedom, and right to do stupid things.
Living in any society involves certain risks and most civilized societies try to reduce those risks. BTW, Russia is no longer a dictatorship. Many laws are passed to protect the majority because of the actions of a minority. Your statement; "I would still want to live in a country were people can choose to be stupid and drive distracted." proves my point. Would really want to take your wife and kids out on the road with a group of 'stupid acting and distracted' drivers?
Since you are obviously not concerned with safety, just think of the insurance rates your kind of 'society' would be paying.
Happy New Year macadoodle and please do everyone a favour and stay in Alberta. :chug:

So who are you to decide what is or isn't safe for drivers to do?
Driving isnt a "right" so grow up and stop acting like it is. And yes, the state can tell you what you can and can not do when driving, and can deny you the provision to drive (revoke your driver's license).

If you are so inclined.........

Attaching a smart phone, iPhone to the vent above the mft and watch a movie/video. The advantage of this location is the eye shift from the road to the screen is pretty minimal, the mft screen would be more dramatic including a head turn.

They also have iPad accessory attachments for the same.

Now back to safety in the event that an accident occurs, the investigating officers are now using you phones history to determine if you were texting, talking or use as a point of distraction-Evenif you are not at fault.

Bottom line, use your brain and common sense

All the electronic toys are enough of a distraction as it is.

Maybe to you but not to a lot of us. Now, I do agree with a law we have here in Texas which is no cell phones allowed while in an active school zone. With that, there are people in the streets and a higher chance of kids running around and playing so the driver should be only focused on what is around them. Playing a movie in motion (not in a school zone) is a little different. At least for me I rarely even take my eyes off the road I just like to listen to the movie because I have seen it.

What is difference between a movie being played watched the map move on the GPS? A lot of people enjoy map reading and it is even easier to look at the GPS and just see the area roads, water bodys and everything else in a map.

Driving isnt a "right" so grow up and stop acting like it is. And yes, the state can tell you what you can and can not do when driving, and can deny you the provision to drive (revoke your driver's license).

Being in Public Safety I know and go by that everyday at work. However I also believe in people should be able to do what they want and not have a company, organization or government body control what they believe is or isn't safe. I know how to drive safely with a movie playing in the vehicle.

Safety on the road is everyone's concern. Obviously some take it more seriously than others. The issue is one of driver distraction. When exceeding the speed limit most drivers are likely to pay more attention to their driving and surroundings. Loud music shouldn't distract a driver even though it may affect their ability to hear what is around them. Many accidents are caused by driver distraction. Driving is a full time job. There is nothing preventing your 'co-pilot' from watching a movie now as long as it isn't on your MFT screen. BTW, it isn't just Ford that says this is unsafe.
Your common sense should tell you the same.

Oh, Driver's Education. Cool. And for free.

Oh, Driver's Education. Cool. And for free.
No problem at all. Some people need a referesher every now and then.:thumbsup:

Happy New Year! :chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No problem at all. Some people need a referesher every now and then.:thumbsup:

Happy New Year! :chug:

I'm good. Thanks, though. Go try the local high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back