How much power with the 4.0L bottom end handle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much power with the 4.0L bottom end handle

gts

Reaction score
City, State
Issaquah, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Ford Explorer
So I've kind of tossed the idea around about throwing a turbo that I have on my '97 4.0L OHV Explorer. I'm curious though how much power the bottom end will handle. Are the rods in these things pretty strong or are they prone to break when you start pushing them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can make a lot of power with the OHV. Start by getting some good rod bolt or it will never hold up to alot of boost. But as stock stay less the 8 psi.

The heads are the limiting factor of the 4.0 ohv.

How are the rod bolts not going to hold up to more power or boost? The only stress on them would be from excessive RPM's and the extension when the piston hits TDC and the bolts pull the rods back down.

These things are rated at 160hp at the crank so I'm guessing probably about 120-125 at the wheels. Can you push 250-300 at the wheels or will it need some major bottom end work first like main studs, and stronger rods?

These things are rated at 160hp at the crank so I'm guessing probably about 120-125 at the wheels. Can you push 250-300 at the wheels or will it need some major bottom end work first like main studs, and stronger rods?

Look up a user on here called JD4242. He's probably got the most modified 4.0 OHV on here and is very knowledgeable...I am sure could answer your question. 250-300 rwhp is going to take some serious work to pull off....not so much in durability but more in effort to get there. With that said even if you get that high I bet your bottom end will take it fine...these things come stock with forged rods and a nodular cast iron crank IIRC.

Look up a user on here called JD4242. He's probably got the most modified 4.0 OHV on here and is very knowledgeable...I am sure could answer your question. 250-300 rwhp is going to take some serious work to pull off....not so much in durability but more in effort to get there. With that said even if you get that high I bet your bottom end will take it fine...these things come stock with forged rods and a nodular cast iron crank IIRC.

That's what I was going to suggest too. Wow, 250-300... not sure if it is attainable. Ask JD, he's the man.

Back