Lower Air Dam Intake Duct Falls Off / Missing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lower Air Dam Intake Duct Falls Off / Missing

soloxx

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer LTD
Just drove 450 miles of interstate yesterday. Hit nothing I'm aware of. Woke up this morning. Backed my '12 Explorer out of the parking spot. Heard a noise. Climbed out. There on the ground was the duct assembly that rests behind the front air dam. No sign of breakage. Just laying there a bit scraped from contact from the asphalt.

I had the vehicle serviced three days ago (oil and filter, replacement of transmission seal. Any chance they had to remove the duct work to access the filter, drain plug, etc?

So... I've about had it with this car. Anyone know what this component is for? Is the car drivable without it? I could find no parts diagrams online, and today is MLK's birthday, so dealerships are closed. I was to be back on the road tomorrow.

In the past month I've had the car in for the A pillar, MFT, oil leak... and now parts falling off?

If the problems with this Explorer weren't so ridiculous, I'd be crying.

2012 Explorer LTD AWD with 6250 miles on the odo.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If just clips back in. I've had heavy rain unclip mine, and deep snow. Always the driver's side.

I wonder how this platform will mature in later years, the first of any generation always has it's faults.

If you are talking about the air duct that is 3 or so feet long, it has to be removed to change the oil. It has two thumb screws in the front and one in the back. It is easy to remove and reinstall.

i have had mine removed for almost 6 months now. it fell off partially when my girlfriend hit a park stop, and to prevent any further damage I just took the whole thing off.

I have yet to notice ANY change in engine temp, productivity, or MPG's. its only purpose is to catch extra air and direct it up into the engine component to help cool. IMO its not worth the trouble of ground clearance issues and coming off.

Im sure others may argue differently, but i havent had issues and i prefer the ground clearance with it off.

I wonder how this platform will mature in later years, the first of any generation always has it's faults.

i may be wrong but i believe they removed this piece for the 2012 ...?

i have had mine removed for almost 6 months now. it fell off partially when my girlfriend hit a park stop, and to prevent any further damage I just took the whole thing off.

I have yet to notice ANY change in engine temp, productivity, or MPG's. its only purpose is to catch extra air and direct it up into the engine component to help cool. IMO its not worth the trouble of ground clearance issues and coming off.

Im sure others may argue differently, but i havent had issues and i prefer the ground clearance with it off.
If you are talking about that black valance or air deflector that runs the width of the front bumper, that is part of the vehicle's aerodynamics, as are those small flaps in front of the rear wheels.

If you are talking about that black valance or air deflector that runs the width of the front bumper, that is part of the vehicle's aerodynamics, as are those small flaps in front of the rear wheels.

no im not talking about the fascia or bumper, there is an air scoop under the engine block that is causing the issues (originally with me and now with the creator of this thread). I was replying to him stating that i have had mine removed for 6 months now with no issues in engine temp or mpgs. I understand what your talking about and what the aerodynamic components do. the piece we removed has nothing to do with aero, its to help cool the engine.

no im not talking about the fascia or bumper, there is an air scoop under the engine block that is causing the issues (originally with me and now with the creator of this thread). I was replying to him stating that i have had mine removed for 6 months now with no issues in engine temp or mpgs. I understand what your talking about and what the aerodynamic components do. the piece we removed has nothing to do with aero, its to help cool the engine.
Okay, thanks for the reply. I didn't think that was the subject of the thread. The reason I asked was that I was down on all fours looking under the front end and could not see anything else that could get caught on something. Except for that front fascia, nothing was lower than the engine block itself.

Peter

Are you talking about the air cooler scoop for the tow package? I think that's part of the tow package and is part of the engine oil cooler for towing. You probably won't notice any issues taking it off until you tow.

Except for that front fascia, nothing was lower than the engine block itself.
Peter

The scoop he is referring to is only on vehicles with the factory towing package. No towing package, no scoop.

The scoop he is referring to is only on vehicles with the factory towing package. No towing package, no scoop.

yeah i do have the tow package. i hadnt realized it was exclusive to the towing package, but it makes sense now. and ill have to make sure i put it back on prior to any towing.

Yes, exclusive to the towing package only, it is installed on MY2011/2012

I have no tow package, I do have a scoop. Last time I had an oil change it fell off the front clips and was dragging down the highway, they forgot to tighten it. Snaps in place like mentioned above!! Another dumb design they will eventually break.

hmm thats interesting... front lower intake but no tow package?
you sure you dont have it? maybe you dont know you have a hitch in back ;)

I have no tow package, I do have a scoop. Last time I had an oil change it fell off the front clips and was dragging down the highway, they forgot to tighten it. Snaps in place like mentioned above!! Another dumb design they will eventually break.

hmm thats interesting... front lower intake but no tow package?
you sure you dont have it? maybe you dont know you have a hitch in back ;)

Hitch should be easy to see :D Nah, don't have it, here is Sticker too;

http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FMHK8F83BGA58604

We are talking about the flat black metal scoop on the bottom of the car that clips in front under and slightly in back of bumper and heads toward back of engine under car.....the one that fell off on me after the last oil change. lol

Air Intake

I had mine reinstalled by the kind folks at West Herr Ford in Hamburg, NY. Got me right in, in spite of the heavy post-holiday traffic. (I'm just traveling through the area).

The service manager advised me that the part is important to cooling the aft part of the engine where it meets the transmission. The dealership had over 15 2012 Explorers in stock, and everyone I saw had the duct installed. But, honestly, I didn't check to see whether each one had 4WD or a towing package. Service also advised me that their mechanics have failed to properly reattach the duct after oil service on several occasions. I'd hate to be in a trailing car or on a bike trailing the Explorer that sheds this 15-20 pound piece of plastic and metal.

Anyway, I'm back on the road, bound for Seattle, WA. We'll see what other surprises are in store.

the one that fell off on me after the last oil change. lol

Looks like you got a freebie, courtesy of a mistake at the factory! Personally, I'd remove it and stick it in the basement. It serves no purpose unless you are towing. One less aggravation when changing the oil.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It really wouldn't be easy to see.... The hitch is hidden with a cover on the lower back bumper... Removable with two twist type screws at the bottom.

Next to your power lift gate button on your dashboard, is there is working TOW button next to it?

I see your tag... Yous shoudnt have it. But sounds u got a freebie like someone mentioned... Maybe the hitch is there too as a freebie ;)

Hitch should be easy to see :D Nah, don't have it, here is Sticker too;

http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FMHK8F83BGA58604

We are talking about the flat black metal scoop on the bottom of the car that clips in front under and slightly in back of bumper and heads toward back of engine under car.....the one that fell off on me after the last oil change. lol

Back