Is this a good price for 105K service? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this a good price for 105K service?

cityroamer

Reaction score
City, State
Seacoast NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
I just got this quote from my local shop to do a 105K service on my 2004 Explorer. I haven't had any issues with it at all, I just figured I'd be a little proactive. Is this a decent price or should I be able to get this cheaper?

Thanks!

105,000 MILE SERVICE:
Lubricate Ball Joints 0.00
Replace Engine Oil 0.00
Rotate Tires
Replace Rear Axle Fluid
Replace Fuel Filter
Replace Engine Oil Filter
Inspect/ Lubricate Door Rubber Weatherstrips
Lubricate Door Hinges & Locks
Clean & Inspect Body & Door Drain Holes
Inspect Driveshaft
Inspect Steering Linkage
Inspect Suspension Components
Inspect Wheel Bearings Inspect wheel ends for endplay & noise
Inspect Automatic Transmission Fluid
Inspect Engine Cooling System Hoses &
Clamps
Inspect Brake System
Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, brake lines & hoses.
Inspect Parking Brake System
Inspect Driveshaft/Propeller Shaft U
Joints
Inspect Battery
Inspect Parking Brake
Inspect Seat/Safety Belts Check lap/shoulder belts & seat latches
for wear & function
Inspect Power Steering Fluid Level
Inspect Window Washer Fluid Level
Inspect Coolant Level
Inspect Coolant Strength
Inspect Tires/Spare Tire Inspect air pressure in spare tire
Inspect Warning Lights & Gauges
Check safety warning lamps (brake, ABS, air bag, safety belt) for operation
Inspect Windshield Wiper & Washer
Systems

Parts:
1.00 ENV FLUID RECYCLING FEE 2.50
1.00 PF1250 AC DELCO OIL FILTER 7.95
5.00 MOIL 5W-30 MOBIL MOTOR OIL 18.75
4.00 GEAROIL2 75W-140 SYNTHETIC GEAR 60.00
1.00 GF796 FUEL FILTER 36.63

Total:
Labor - $300.70
Parts - $125.83
Total - $426.53

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think so, all they're really doing is:

Lubricate Ball Joints
Replace Engine Oil
Rotate Tires
Replace Rear Axle Fluid
Replace Fuel Filter

Doesn't seem like much for $400+

They like to make the list look huge, but they're really not doing much of anything, IMHO.

And what the hell is this?
1.00 PF1250 AC DELCO OIL FILTER 7.95

Obviously not a Ford dealer.

I don't think so, all they're really doing is:

Lubricate Ball Joints
Replace Engine Oil
Rotate Tires
Replace Rear Axle Fluid
Replace Fuel Filter

Doesn't seem like much for $400+

They like to make the list look huge, but they're really not doing much of anything, IMHO.

Plus they will try & sell you a bunch of you stuff don't need and then really stick it to you.

I know, I'm always weary of these "Maintenance Services" that these shops offer. The place I got this quote from is actually a trustworthy, clean, ASE certified shop (from my prior experiences), but the extent of my visits have just been tire repairs, tire rotations, and oil changes.

I'd feel a little better if there were more replacements being done instead of 'inspections'. It would be good to have those items checked, but $400+ does seem high just for an inspection, since if they find anything 'suspicious', they're going to encourage me to replace them with a separate cost.

I guess the better option would be to find somewhere that will charge me less to do a thorough inspection?

I would take the list, and check them yourself. It's not like much of anything on there they're going to spend more than 10 seconds on anyhow.

Transmission? Yup, it's still there. <check>

:D

I worked in an Auto Shop for 5 years. Like many of our customers, I know its easy to think you're getting ripped off. To truly understand where your money goes you have to understand how auto shops charge you.

Heres how auto shop prices work...

1. You get charged 150% the price for a product. This means you pay full price plus half. This is so the auto shop gets some profit from the part they sell you, plus they usually offer a guarantee for a year. If the part "THE AUTO SHOP INSTALLED" goes bad they will usually replace it for free.

(You wouldn't believe the number of people claiming we installed an already broken part to get a free part out of us...)

2. The lowest amount of "service hours" is half. Despite many peoples ideas, the number of hours a job takes is predetermined by the shops boss or floor man. This is so the shop can get as many vehicles in and out per day (time is money as the say).

3. The shop must pay the mechanic for his work...however the shop must also make money as well. This is where the hours come in. The mechanic makes no money from parts or fluids, that is all shop money.

4. They will charge you fee on "shop supplies" and "waste disposal" since they are the ones providing things like cleaners and have to pay someone to collect the oil they remove from your vehicle. Also they might have topped off some fluid that they didn't tell you about (brake, transmission, power steering, etc). This fee is not always included in the bill however.

Depending on the amount charged for each hour of labor (my shop charged $90 per hour)

Hours broken down are probably

0.5 -- Oil Change
0.5 -- Fuel Filter
1.0 -- Overall Check of vehicle
1.0 -- Differential Fluid Change

Our Auto shop did check most things on the list you provided. I always checked tie rod ends, struts, ball joints, cv axle boots, brake fluid, brake pads and rotors, etc, etc...

Yes $426 dollars is a lot of money, but your also paying for them to do it and not you.

While mechanics can be shady at times, they're not all crooks. It's the automotive companies that charge an insane amount for a part or fluid.

If you really want to save some money, get a little dirty and do it yourself...The satisfaction of doing something yourself and doing it right is the greatest reward

Yes $426 dollars is a lot of money, but your also paying for them to do it and not you.

That's why I'll only complain on the markup of the parts. I would never complain about how much is charged for labor. It's their time and they get to decide how much it's worth, not me. I just get to decide whether their time is worth my money and me not having to do it.

Usually, I do it myself. A while back, though, I paid a shop to replace my lower ball joints and tie rod ends. At that time, I had more money than I did time. They didn't overcharge me on parts and their labor charge was less than the value of my time.

Last month, I changed my rack and pinion. I had more time than money in December, so I did it myself. It's pretty simple calculations, I think.

That's why I'll only complain on the markup of the parts. I would never complain about how much is charged for labor. It's their time and they get to decide how much it's worth, not me. I just get to decide whether their time is worth my money and me not having to do it.

Spot on- best verbalization I've seen about it. Well said! :thumbsup:

Yes the parts are expensive...but you pay for the guarantee more than anything.

Our shop (and most) always lets customers bring in their own parts. Bringing your parts will save you some money. However they do not get a guarantee on the part. Also my shop always used quality parts to fix customers cars...not some cheap parts that you get at autozone or advanced.

i paid 310 for both diff changes oil change transfer fluid change and trans flush and they checked all the other fluids and topped them off free rotating the tires at a tire/brake place is maybe $40 and they can check the drivetrain and brakes for ya. Maybe its cheaper in Denver. I would recommend using a high mileage oil though and make sure the use a friction modifier in diff. as for thr door and the rest of the inspections you can look at them yourself get some wd-40 and spray your own hinges :)

Back