• Register Today It's free!

Key FOB won't unlock doors

Jeff352

Reaction score
City, State
West Jordan, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
I have a 2000 XLT that won't let me unlock the car using the key fob. I can lock it though. I tried reprogramming, but it did not change the status of the fob. It has the same problem with both my fob's. The keypad works fine. Anybody have any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2000 XLT that won't let me unlock the car using the key fob. I can lock it though. I tried reprogramming, but it did not change the status of the fob. It has the same problem with both my fob's. The keypad works fine. Anybody have any ideas?

I have the exact issue as you. Two FOB's, both unlock buttons don't work, but everything else on the FOBs and car work fine.

I'm sure it's just the buttons are worn out considering the other ones work fine.

Awesome, thanks for the video and that is good to know for future knowledge. I would have never have figured that one out on my own, lol.

However, my unlock buttons on my key FOB DO in fact work, but only if I really press hard on the button. So to me it seems like the buttons are just worn out. If it was the bad wire under the passenger rear door I don't think it would work based on how hard I push the key FOB button.

It's just weird that it's both unlock buttons only on both of my key FOBs. We shall see.

agreed... its unlikely to be a wiring problem since your door key pad works which I think uses the same "wiring" (basically). The remotes are just like any other remote (ie TV etc)... the contacts under the pads get "gummed up" from "finger juice" and eventually failure to work reliably... cleaning will likely improve its operation. As to why... probably you use the unlock more often than the other plus... your fingers are touching things when you come back to the truck and may have a "bit more contamination" then. :)

Is it going to be the same wires if my explorer has the opposite problem? I can lock, but not unlock the doors which is the recipricle. I would agree with corrosion on the fob contacts except one of my fobs is never used and I checked the contacts on the fobs and there is no corrosion or oxidation. I cleaned them anyway. Still will not unlock the door.

Is it going to be the same wires if my explorer has the opposite problem? I can lock, but not unlock the doors which is the recipricle. I would agree with corrosion on the fob contacts except one of my fobs is never used and I checked the contacts on the fobs and there is no corrosion or oxidation. I cleaned them anyway. Still will not unlock the door.

It may, I know there is a thread on here about it, with different problems, with not locking, or not unlocking, so it may be. Look up in the search thing "door lock splice" or something like that, you should find the thread,

Edit, I found it for you...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179629&highlight=door+lock+splice

Do the doors unlock from the door switches, but just not the fob? There is a separate connection from the RAP module (what the fob talks to) to the unlock relay that may be the issue.

IF your door keypad works and fobs don't then you have a "fob problem" since I think the "system" is the same most of the way.

Of course, IF you don't have a keypad to test against, then its likely that you have the "rotted splice" problem which people have indicated.... assuming that buttons around the vehicle work accordingly.

Key FOB only works half way

IF your door keypad works and fobs don't then you have a "fob problem" since I think the "system" is the same most of the way.

Of course, IF you don't have a keypad to test against, then its likely that you have the "rotted splice" problem which people have indicated.... assuming that buttons around the vehicle work accordingly.

Keypad works. Key FOB locks. Everything is working but unlocking with the FOB.

Had exact same problem, ordered new fob for $13, problem solved.

Bought a new FOB, programmed it and it worked! Must of had some corrosion in the FOB contact switches on my old ones. It cost me less than $10.

Kind of same issue.

2000 awd 5.0 explorer and my fob will only lock and unlock the driver door. Tried resetting and new battery. Even disconnected the truck battery. Any suggestions? Will check for that corroded wire next.

2000 awd 5.0 explorer and my fob will only lock and unlock the driver door. Tried resetting and new battery. Even disconnected the truck battery. Any suggestions? Will check for that corroded wire next.

As far as unlocking with the fob goes, it's designed so one press unlocks only driver's door; second press should unlock rest of doors. There is a separate "unlock" relay for the driver's door to make this happen. However, all doors should lock with one press of fob.

Do all doors unlock correctly from door switches/door keyholes/keypad??

Yea the driver door will unlock with one press and on the second the rest of the doors wont unlock. I reconnected the pink and yellow wires and nothing changed even though they were correded. Sry so long for reply. Life happens. Haha. Thanks for the input though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back