Do pads wear rotors or do rotors wear pads? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do pads wear rotors or do rotors wear pads?

Badspell68

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 5.0 AWD 4-Door
My front pads are at about 20% and the rotors are good but a bit grooved. My mechanic said I could simply put new pads on and that would render everything ok.

Wouldn't the grooved rotors cause the pads to wear unevenly?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the rotors are grooved they need to be turned or replaced.

Any input on some of the best pads and rotors that will last and last?

Rotors get worn down by pads overtime, but pads get worn down by rotors as well. I'm assuming you asked this question because you wondered if it would harm the rotors or pads by just throwing on a new set of pads.

Rotors become grooved overtime, your mechanic should know when to "turn"your rotors and when not too. If the rotors only have only small grooves in them you can throw on some new pads no problem. If you just want to be safe you can have a shop turn your rotors for you (the shop I worked at did it for $20 dollars a pair).

I agree sbyrne. 10 bucks a rotor is what my mechanic charges to turn the rotors. For twenty bucks its worth it if you are getting the new pads.

Thanks!

Will the old pads, with wear patters from the old rotors, start wearing groves into the new rotors?

Thanks!

Will the old pads, with wear patters from the old rotors, start wearing groves into the new rotors?

You NEVER run old pads with new or turned rotors.

Agreed, I don't see what the point would be, especially considering the cost of pads. Middle of the road ceramic pads are 30 bucks an axle, if you want nicer pads they are 50-70 an axle. Remember there is a bedding procedure for new brakes (which I just learned myself).

Thanks!

Bedding?

The to answer the title...
Pads wear rotors but this all depends on what pads you go with... If you buy the cheapest pad then you will lose brake performance and the pads will wear quicker but not tearing into the rotor which in turn make the rotors last longer... If you buy the best pads then you get the best braking performance and the pads last longer because they are made of a harder material but in turn they will eat up your rotors faster..

Thanks!

Bedding?

Breaking in the brakes.

Pulled this from another thread:

Bedding Your Pads:

To ensure your new pads will work as advertised, they must be broken in, or bedded. Subjecting new pads to hard service right out of the box will result in poor performance or even damage to the pads and the rotors due to extreme temperature variations between the rotor surface and the body of the pad. Think of the bedding process are a "heat cure"; the new pads are gradually brought up to temperature and then slowly cooled over a period of time.

Here is a widely-accepted procedure for bedding brake pads for your street vehicle. It can be used with any pad type.

Step 1: Make 8 to 10 gentle stops from 30 miles per hour to 15 miles per hour. Allow 20 to 30 seconds between each stop so the brakes can cool down.

Step 2: Make 8 to 10 moderate stops from 45 miles per hour to 30 miles per hour. Again, allow a 20 to 30 second cooldown period between each stop.

Step 3: Make 8 to 10 hard stops from 55-65 miles per hour to 25 miles per hour, allowing 20 to 30 seconds of cooldown time between each stop.

Step 4: You should notice a more positive brake feel during the bedding process. If you notice any significant brake fade during the hard stop phase (Step 3), it may be an indication that the brakes are overheating. Immediately do some light driving without using the brakes to allow the brakes to cool down, then repeat Step 3.

Step 5: Drive at a moderate cruising speed, using the brakes as little as possible, until most of the heat has dissipated from the brakes. Avoid using the brake pedal to hold the car at any stops you make. Park the vehicle and allow the brakes to cool to ambient air temperature.

Back