Torque Monster Header (TMH) Gasket Replacement-Pointers needed | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque Monster Header (TMH) Gasket Replacement-Pointers needed

Post number 107 has been selected as best answered.

My gaskets have leaked at least 3 times since my install at jons.Sometimes one side, sometimes both sides at once. This last time back in August when my passenger side started leaking again I used a different felpro gasket. It didn't have the small hanging tabs at the end of each side of the gaskets and it was much thicker. I'll have to find the other one and upload a picture. But So far it seems to have held up decently well. On top of it I noticed My driver's side actually SPAT Out a bolt towards the middle. And so far it has not started leaking yet. Pretty crazy stuff!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like to double up on header gaskets! I like to use two of the paper gaskets never any leaks. Just retighten header bolts after they warm up a couple times. Works real well for me anyways.

grabbed this from another thread.

grabbed this from another thread.

Yeah, but Mark doesn't have Torque Monsters so not necessarily applicable here. He doesn't even have a 5.0. I assume he's talking about his Camaro or a previous car. I've seen that approach mentioned on quite a few other sites as well. I'm sure it could work with the TMH but I've yet to see anyone actually try it.

If I come across a set Ill make a nice pastry of RTV and fiber gaskets, torque it down with some thread lock and see if that hold up. Take pics and keep everyone posted on it to.

I hit the exhaust shop this afternoon and have an appointment for 8AM tomorrow. I had a good chat with the guy doing the work. Tomorrow morning we're going through a few more details (including some snippets from this thread), then I'm trading them my truck for a POS Neon for a few hours. :D

Thanks again for everyone's input. I hope y'all had a good Christmas.

Brad

Well, time for another update. I hit the exhaust shop bright and early at 8AM and it's one of those "good news, bad news" scenarios. May as well start with the bad news (which isn't so bad).

As soon as he had a close-up look at my setup, he started covering his butt a bit. He pointed out that he might not be able to get me my truck back for a few days with New Years coming and all. He started to get me ready for a massive bill, saying that although he'd worked on a lot of vehicles through the years, done a lot of headers etc, that he'd never done any work on a 5.0 Explorer and that due to the learning curve etc, it could get expensive especially since it`s so tight in there. I like this guy and I know he doesn't want to steer me wrong so we sort of debated back and forth how much work needed to be done.

I showed him some of the snippets I took from this thread and while he appreciated the information, at stressed at the end of the day, he had to do the actual work and he couldn't provide me with an accurate estimate of time needed to swap out all the gaskets. His view was that the main headers gaskets looked fine and didn't show any obvious signs of leaks. He still saw the small driver's side gasket as being the culprit. He pulled out his stethoscope and this time I heard with my own ears what he was getting at. The "tick tick tick" at the junction sounded almost like "knock knock knock" with the scope.

So we agreed to do just the small gasket. I was also getting a resonator welded back in as I had it cut out in Wisconsin soon after the headers were done and wasn't real happy with the cabin drone.

I left the shop with the POS Neon they lent me and was feeling pretty nervous about all this. Gary is a good guy, but I started thinking he was going to gouge me just to do the small gasket and what if the new gasket didn't solve anything?

He called me a few hours later and said the truck was done. I popped by just before lunch and he said the junction was now super quiet. New gasket solved the problem. Good news is he charged me for about 1.25 hours to do both the gasket and the resonator so my fears of getting gouged were unfounded. I like this shop and they'd never given me reason to worry about getting gouged. My faith is restored. His lack of confidence about doing the main gaskets may force me to try another shop I`ve used in the past that also seems pretty good.

The moment of truth came when I fired it up. The first thing I noticed was how much quieter the truck was again. Obviously I chalked that up to the resonator. I drove it back to work and the chugging that had been giving me so much grief was not prevalent at all. I still noticed a bit of a pingy feeling, but I also had that before the headers so that was nothing new. This is a 5.0 after all and it's pretty common from what I've seen through the years. Jon and I determined that I did have a gasket leak with the stock manifolds so maybe I`m feeling something similar to what I had before.

I went home for lunch and disconnected the negative on the battery while I ate. I then reloaded one of my Henson tunes (because I couldn't remember which one I had in there) and drove back to work.

There seems to be the slightest hint of chugging, but part of it may be psychological. I would still like to get the Percy's gaskets done at some future date for sure. There might be a slight leak still as I think I hear some much quieter ticking. From what I've learned from you guys, that's not uncommon! Maybe I will tackle the gasket job myself, ideally with the help of another EF guy here in Calgary who also has a 5.0 (and with the name Brad, so he`s got to be cool!).

So it appears I`ve solved some of my problem but the Percy`s gaskets will probably make the truck run even better. Only time will tell.

To be continued......

What kind of material did he use to make the new gasket?

What kind of material did he use to make the new gasket?

We were going to use the Percy`s gasket material I got from Summit, but it`s a beyatch to cut and he didn`t have the right tools to get a nice clean gasket made. Bob sent me two of his gaskets so we used one of those. I might send the other to Remflex to use as a template and get them to cut me a few custom ones to keep around for future use.

hmmm I dont think a small exhaust leak is going to cause you power loss or "chugging" issues, I have had leaks on both my 5.0L trucks with TMH and dont really notice a power loss, or any rough running?

Check your spark plug wires around the headers....even if they look okay they may not be, look closer

hmmm I dont think a small exhaust leak is going to cause you power loss or "chugging" issues, I have had leaks on both my 5.0L trucks with TMH and dont really notice a power loss, or any rough running?

Check your spark plug wires around the headers....even if they look okay they may not be, look closer

I`ve spent a LOT of time with the plugs and wires since I got back from Kansas. We put brand new OEM wires and Autolite copper plugs in when I was there. I put in a new set of Motorcraft Double Plats and Aurora wires in after I got back. I`ve double and triple checked my plugs and wires and have them routed nicely with thse funky volcanic heat socks I found. I`ve also swapped between OEM coil packs, MSD and Screamin Demon packs and still had the problem. There was a time I was hoping it was plug related but it never panned out. I do plan to have another look later as I`ve learned to inspect them often since they lie so close to the headers and I have lost a few wires through trial and error. :rolleyes:

The chugging I faced has definitely subsided a LOT and according to Gary, the junction is much quieter (I`m going to use my own stethoscope later to confirm).

The most annoying thing about this troubleshooting is that a code has never been thrown and through ample datalogging, James wasn`t able to find anything out of the ordinary in the logs I sent him. :(

could it be in the t case or rear end????? no codes ever???

could it be in the t case or rear end????? no codes ever???

No codes. I`m not so sure about t-case or rear end. The problems developed within a few hundred miles of getting the headers done so all signs seem to point to them.

Strangely enough, the chugging was way worse when I was making my way through States and Provinces that use a lot of Ethanol. We don`t use it here in Alberta (except for a few stations which I don`t frequent). The problems subsided big time after I got home and filled up using the station I always use. The problem was always there ever so faintly but it got worse when winter gas started showing up in the pumps again in October.

I did experience some problems with misfiring just before I drove from Wisconsin to Kansas in late June. As soon as we pulled the plugs in Humboldt, Jon pointed out how badly fouled the plugs were. We chalked that up to Seafoam. I also found out later that one of my Magnecor wires had a small cut in it which most likely caused some issues too. As soon as we got the headers on and swapped out the copper gaskets for the stock TMH gaskets, I had a misfire again which Jon diagnosed to be a faulty Autolite plug, right out of the box. The misfire went away when we put in one of my used Motorcrafts. I swapped out that plug with a matching Autolite as soon as I got back to Wisconsin and the misfire never returned.

The truck idles very nicely these days. It`s got an OEM IAC with very low miles, a new MAS (just changed the sensor alone, I`ve got a C&L MAF body) and also a new TPS. The MAS and TPS were done since I got back as part of the troubleshooting.

Took the truck out tonight. The "minor gasket" replacement has definitely made a difference. Truck isn't perfect yet but much better than it's been for a long time. I'm going to take it out on a little road test circuit I enjoy in coming days. That should be telling.

talked to another custom exhaust guy up in oxnard while we were up there during the holidays and he said it's either a poor sealing gasket material or the header flange material being a little bit more susceptible to warping in small increments :scratch: that's his guess for the most common causes of leaky headers that seals and leaks repeatedly.

some people from what i've read on the mustang forums use high temp red rtv on their headers. there's even a guy that claims he only uses the RTV only without a gasket to seal it all up..

there has to be a way to seal these things tightly and have that last for more than a thousand miles before tightening again. :dunno:

Reviving this thread...
So what gaskets does everyone believe are the best for sealing the TMH's? After my last Seafoam treatment, i found numerous leaks on both sides. Bought a set of Percy's a while back (which I cant find at the moment) but the port openings seem eccessively large compared to that of the GT-40 head and TMH ports on my engine. Maybe they are just fine. Just dont know.
If you have a suggestion please include manufacturer AND part number.
Need to get off my a&& and get er done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back