Another OHV M90 build | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another OHV M90 build

2000 OHV + rpcaster + henson performance = another supercharged 4.0 ohv Explorer

I have goodies from James already (New MAF, 36lb injectors, wideband O2 for tuning)

Here's what came from Ron (Also a fuel pressure gauge and boost/vacuum gauge)

Attachments

• rpcaster.jpg
    rpcaster.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 3,571

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

he did have an adapter plate,iac is right on the side but looks like its made to use a ohv tb
rp.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Ah, I didn't see that before. I think even with the adapter plate there, it probably wasnt routed with one side of the iac before the tb. The adapter plate also had the pcv valve line I think.

I like the idea of a 5.0 tb with the iac built on to it. I can make an adapter plate if it wont bolt right up (Probably won't).

Then I can tap the inlet tube, just before the sc for the pcv valve. That gets the pcv inlet on the drivers side, close to the valve.

I think I'm going to go shopping and see what vehicles are there. Its still -20c here, so Im not sure how badly I will want to start pulling parts. I'll bring sockets with me just in case. Never know.

I don't think Ron had any of the adapter plates, or I'm sure he would have included one. No biggie though, as Rocket said, sometimes its more rewarding to make something yourself.

Im hoping with 2 egr tubes, I can cut up the two, and make one fit nicely. Ron said that I should be able to use brass plumbing press fit couplers and brass tubing to extend where I need to. Anyone know where you can get that high heat fabric tubing that sits on egr tubes? Id love to get ahold of a couple of feet of it. As plan B, I wonder how the heat wrap would work on it?

here is a side by side of the ohv tb and the 5.0tb,now given you have a sohc tb mount it going to be larger than a ohv.im going to run by my boys house and get a side by side of the sohc tb and a 5.0 for you later.
2012-02-11142913.jpg

2012-02-11142947.jpg

also just get some exhaust heat wrap,i plan to wrap all my intake tubes to keep heat off them

no luck on the 5.0 tb. Ill have to try a different graveyard. I did get another ohv upper intake that I can cut the throttle mount off to adapt to a new mount. plastic and jb weld will be my friend on this part.

Also, I picked up a ohv egr tube. if I flip it upside down, it will mount to the intake from rpcaster. some time on the grinder and ill be good to go.

I need 3 1/4 ntp nipples for vacuum on the drivers side drilled and tapped also. its going to be a tight fit as the egr mount is on the same side. Im not sure that I want to try this myself.

Im having trouble finding what I think is a 1/8 ntp for the vacuum/boost guage. Tough to believe I cant find this locally.
http://www.opentip.com/Tools-Auto-I...ale-To-Male-Restrictive-Barbed-p-2271230.html

Im still frozen from being out wondering thru the trashed vehicles.

no luck on the 5.0 tb. Ill have to try a different graveyard. I did get another ohv upper intake that I can cut the throttle mount off to adapt to a new mount. plastic and jb weld will be my friend on this part.

Also, I picked up a ohv egr tube. if I flip it upside down, it will mount to the intake from rpcaster. some time on the grinder and ill be good to go.

I need 3 1/4 ntp nipples for vacuum on the drivers side drilled and tapped also. its going to be a tight fit as the egr mount is on the same side. Im not sure that I want to try this myself.

Im having trouble finding what I think is a 1/8 ntp for the vacuum/boost guage. Tough to believe I cant find this locally.
http://www.opentip.com/Tools-Auto-I...ale-To-Male-Restrictive-Barbed-p-2271230.html

NPT (National Pipe Thread). That really sucks that you don't have a hardware store close to you that has this small odd and end stuff. It makes thing allot easier when you can just run to the store a mile down the road to pick it up. Do you already have the 1/8" and 1/4" NPT thread tap and are you familiar with tapping threads for pipe?

thanks for the correction on the abreviation.
I think Ill buy 10 of these nylon jobs: 1/8" OD x 1/4" MIP as they only come in 10.
the holes tapped in the intake are already 1/8, so that takes care of 2.
http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52-334-nylon/nylon-male-adapter-190959.aspx

I need to find one of these as an L style for the top of the intake ( that will take care of all 3)

Yup, its amazing that I cant find this stuff easily. Im not even finding it online easily.

well i picked a car up for my nephew and opened the hood and it had a 3.8 and the aic is built in to the tb.after doing some research i found that the tb for a mustang is way to small but came across the tb for a 3.8 thunderbird.it has the aic built in also and you can get aftermarket 70mm.he is one for sale on ebay but think the way he measured it is wrong.can you measure the bolt pattern on the manifold you have?the mustang was 3.5"center to center on the top,i dont know what the tbird is tho and cant find if the tbird fits on the mustang 3.8.any rate here is some pics and also a pic of a plate some one made to fit a 5.0 on the 3.8 tbird,may give you an idea for a plate for a 5.0 to 4.0
2012-02-11152253.jpg

2012-02-11162123.jpg

and plate
38to50.jpg

and the one on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Thunde...=150502914162&ps=63&clkid=6265285799663695136

thanks for the correction on the abreviation.
I think Ill buy 10 of these nylon jobs: 1/8" OD x 1/4" MIP as they only come in 10.
the holes tapped in the intake are already 1/8, so that takes care of 2.
http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52-334-nylon/nylon-male-adapter-190959.aspx

I need to find one of these as an L style for the top of the intake ( that will take care of all 3)

Yup, its amazing that I cant find this stuff easily. Im not even finding it online easily.

I recommend against using nylon fittings, especially smaller ones like you need. They will get brittle in the cold weather you have up there and snap very easily causing vacuum leaks. I suggest going brass all the way.

a side by side of a 5.0 and sohc.from what i gather the sohc is not square,like 3x2.5" but the 5.0 is square but are pretty close in size so a plate may be hard to make,unless you turn it sideways
imagejpeg952.jpg

Thanks for the work on this. I think Im going to go ebay on a throttlebody. Ill worry about the adapter plate after. I think its the least of the dilemas.
ebay shopping I go.

And guess what? I found a supplier of the brass nipples I need. They are on line, and only a few blocks from my office. Perfect, Ill see them on monday. I found it hard to believe that this stuff didnt exist in Canada. Rocket, I was worried about the plastics not holding up also, thanks for stating that, it confirmed I needed to stay away from it.

you guys have any thoughts on this one?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/65mm-Throttl...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27bedda611

price is right, and Its still bigger than what I had.

if i was you i would just get the same one i did.its 75mm and comes with a plate,all you would have to do is drill 4 holes in it that match the pattern of the sohc.then counter sink one side of the holes so the blots fit fulsh with the plate face,then tap the holes in the plate for the 5.0 so it will bolt onto the plate.just like this pic.sounds simple and its a good tb.where i got mine from
http://www.americanmuscle.com/accufab-75mmtb-spacer-8693.html

38to50.jpg

Ill keep looking around. They are out of stock at the moment. The ebay sellers appear not to include the egr spacer Ill need.

wow, I just saw your post. perfect. Then Ill just go with the 65mm stock tb.

i would go 75mm

How big a TB you go with totally depends on the diameter of the upper intake tube that is between the TB and the blower because you are only as strong as your weakest link. If you add a real big TB but then it necks down quite a bit before heading into the upper intake then allot of turbulence will be added which may be enough flow resistance to create a vacuum. Any vacuum pre-blower directly affects VE of the blower and, in turn, the pressure ratio achieved post-blower. The best guidance I can give here is gradually make size transitions and minimize bigger-smaller-bigger-smaller size transitions if at all possible.

How big a TB you go with totally depends on the diameter of the upper intake tube that is between the TB and the blower because you are only as strong as your weakest link. If you add a real big TB but then it necks down quite a bit before heading into the upper intake then allot of turbulence will be added which may be enough flow resistance to create a vacuum. Any vacuum pre-blower directly affects VE of the blower and, in turn, the pressure ratio achieved post-blower. The best guidance I can give here is gradually make size transitions and minimize bigger-smaller-bigger-smaller size transitions if at all possible.

Yea was going to say measure the manifold intake hole.i suggested 75mm because the plate is 76mm and most intake tubes are 3" and he can tune for the lager tb.

Yea was going to say measure the manifold intake hole.i suggested 75mm because the plate is 76mm and most intake tubes are 3" and he can tune for the lager tb.

Sounds like we are on the same page. :thumbsup:

Back