Teach me - do new radius arm bushings = front end alignment ??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Teach me - do new radius arm bushings = front end alignment ???

rfields109

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4x4
Just replaced radius arm bushings with Polypropolene should I get the front end aligned ? Noticed on the test drive it tracked nicely until i got up to about 65, then all heck broke loose on the right front, felt like wheel hop or a BIG shimmy... slowed down to about 60 and it straightened back out. I felt like it would need alignment but this seemed extreme. Before the bushings it travelled down the road at 80 just fine.

The question is would replacing the radius arm bushings knock it that far out of alignment? I have new tie rod ends, ball joints etc... coming and thought I would get it aligned after I've rebuilt it. So this post is more out of curiosity and gaining some education on front end work.

Thanks guys

Just replaced radius arm bushings with Polypropolene should I get the front end aligned ? Noticed on the test drive it tracked nicely until i got up to about 65, then all heck broke loose on the right front, felt like wheel hop or a BIG shimmy... slowed down to about 60 and it straightened back out. I felt like it would need alignment but this seemed extreme. Before the bushings it travelled down the road at 80 just fine.

The question is would replacing the radius arm bushings knock it that far out of alignment? I have new tie rod ends, ball joints etc... coming and thought I would get it aligned after I've rebuilt it. So this post is more out of curiosity and gaining some education on front end work.

Got it aligned and it was out over a half inch on you're in...just letting you know.
The shaking in the front end did not get better. Got home and rotors were burning hot.

Putting on new rotors and flushing the lines tomorrow.

Thanks guys

Radius arm bushings shouldn't put it that far out but being poly will accentuate vibrations caused by something else. Stock rubber bushings are much softer and can absorb a lot of different things.

Check your beam pivot bushings careful. If you haven't replaced them too, they are probably due and could be the cause of the vibrations

Got it aligned and it was out over a half inch on you're in...just letting you know.
The shaking in the front end did not get better. Got home and rotors were burning hot.

Putting on new rotors and flushing the lines tomorrow.

Thanks guys

AND checking for frozen Calipers , I hope.
When I replaced my Rubber RABS for the very stiff NAPA high temp ones. I did it at my friends shop and we drove it up on the halignment rack. It didn't need it.

Back